Does anyone use a galvanized steel tub as a litter box?

Foodie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am thinking of adopting a cat next month and I am researching litter boxes to prepare for the cat's arrival. I have done some catsitting for my SIL and I didn't like her plastic box because it retained odors. I have looked at stainless steel litter boxes and they are quite expensive (but I am willing to invest in one of them if fellow catsite members tell me that it is the best option).

I have found that a cheaper alternative would be to use a galvanized steel tub (that could also be high enough to prevent some litter tracking). I was just wondering if anyone has had success with a galvannized steel tub as a litter box. (Also, as an aside, I am thinking of using wood pellet litter).

Any advice about steel tubs and wood pellet litter?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think size matters most, i.e. the larger the better. If you clean the litter box on a regular basis, preferably as soon as possible, you shouldn't have a problem with odor. Obviously it's a personal decision and I appreciate you wanting to research the different types of litter boxes. Here is an Article that may be helpful for you: What’s The Largest Cat Litter Box (and Why Your Cat Needs It) – Cat Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Foodie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks neely, I will read the article!

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I am thinking of adopting a cat next month and I am researching litter boxes to prepare for the cat's arrival. I have done some catsitting for my SIL and I didn't like her plastic box because it retained odors. I have looked at stainless steel litter boxes and they are quite expensive (but I am willing to invest in one of them if fellow catsite members tell me that it is the best option).

I have found that a cheaper alternative would be to use a galvanized steel tub (that could also be high enough to prevent some litter tracking). I was just wondering if anyone has had success with a galvannized steel tub as a litter box. (Also, as an aside, I am thinking of using wood pellet litter).

Any advice about steel tubs and wood pellet litter?
I use wood pellet litter .
The same that i use for my bunnies litter box , the cats seem to be fine with it .
I've used quite a lot of litter boxes ( for my bunnies , one is giant the size of a medium sized cat )
I can put some litter boxes , that i think are pretty good ! They are ones i use for my bunnies but they are alright for cats too! ( i run a small rescue , with my brother , but 5 rabbits are my pets , i have abo-ut 12 rescue rabbits ready to go off to new houmes!)
https://www.amazon.co.jp/ニャンとも清潔トイレセット-オープンタイプ-猫ちゃん想い設計-ライトベージュ-猫用トイレ本体/dp/B07NQ1GS36/ref=sr_1_7?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&keywords=cat+litter+box&qid=1579188515&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07D4RZHDF/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?
psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExN1pUU00yT1ZJQTQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzMjU2NTIyVUdGODBFNUw2M09QJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTM0TlA1Mk5YUVNWTzMmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwyJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bought them in japan , but i think u can buy them in other countries om amazon..

Foodie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Albus&minnie it looks like a sifting box that is good to use with wood pellet litter (yes, they have some on amazon, thank you)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some people use stainless steel hotel / steam table pan like this one that has cat litter in it:

1579193493381.jpeg

A restaurant supply store / web site would have these in various sizes and depths. You'll want one at least 6 inches deep and roughly the same length and width of a litter box.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Some people use stainless steel hotel / steam table pan like this one that has cat litter in it:

View attachment 317922

A restaurant supply store / web site would have these in various sizes and depths. You'll want one at least 6 inches deep and roughly the same length and width of a litter box.
The shelter where I volunteered used similar pans for all the cats. They're super easy to clean and last forever.

Foodie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Thank you. I have looked at those on amazon, I was just wondering if galvanized steel tubs were just as good because the sides are higher.

Albus&minnie Albus&minnie the japanese link that you sent looks like sifting litter box (one where the sawdust falls on a lower tray) so it's easier to sift wood pelinllet litter. This is a popular one is popular on amazon.com

GoldyCat GoldyCat Thank you. Yes, that's why I am looking into a steel box because it will last forever. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does galvanized steel rust over time from being washed and exposed to cat urine? :think:

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Thank you. I have looked at those on amazon, I was just wondering if galvanized steel tubs were just as good because the sides are higher.

Albus&minnie Albus&minnie the japanese link that you sent looks like sifting litter box (one where the sawdust falls on a lower tray) so it's easier to sift wood pelinllet litter. This is a popular one is popular on amazon.com

GoldyCat GoldyCat Thank you. Yes, that's why I am looking into a steel box because it will last forever. :)

The one i put??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Galvanizing protects the underlying iron or steel in the following main ways:
1.) The zinc coating, when intact, prevents corrosive substances from reaching
the underlying steel or iron.
2.) The zinc protects iron by corroding first.
For better results, application of chromates over zinc is
also seen as an industrial trend.
3.) In the event the underlying metal becomes exposed,
protection can continue as long as there is
zinc close enough to be electrically coupled.
After all of the zinc in the immediate area is consumed,
localized corrosion of the base metal can occur.

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I was looking for very large stainless steel box several months ago, without success, and i don’t think galvanized will do: i know nothing about it myself but I was talking with a guy at Home Depot I think and he told me that if cats’ urine is acidic, the galvanized steel is a no go unless I cover it with a layer of something that didn’t sound appropriate for cats. And if you touch galvanized steel, imo it’s not smooth enough to be a good material for litter box.

But if you’re looking for a normal sized litter box, I’m sure you’ll find the stainless steel one in one of these big stores for restaurants. I need an extra large because my girl pees very high on box walls and corners.

For me, the greatest benefit of stainless steel box is that there are no scratches that could potentially hold bacteria like in plastic boxes. My cats are scratchers so I need to clean the box way too often for my liking.

Foodie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 That's what I was wondering (because I found an old blog post where someone said that they used galvanized steel as a litter box, but beyond that, I could not find any more info. And, based on She's a witch She's a witch the

galvanized steel would react to cat urine. Thank you She's a witch She's a witch . I guess that I will consider a stainless steel litter box after all.

Dearjujubebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I purchased the iPettie NOVA Cat Litter Box last month. Everything is fine currently. My kitten could get into the litter box by itself.

Foodie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Dearjujubebe Dearjujubebe . I had a look at it online, but I think I'd rather a stainless steel box.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been doing some research on stainless steel tubs and found this one:
Choice Full Size 6" Deep Anti-Jam Stainless Steel Steam Table / Hotel Pan - 24 Gauge

It's $12.49 with these dimensions:
  • Length: 20 3/4 Inches
  • Width: 12 3/4 Inches
  • Depth: 6 Inches
The plastic ones I'm currently using are about 22L x 16W x 5.5D, but the length and width measurements are a little deceiving because the box sides are slightly angled. The bottom measurement is almost the same. The stainless steel tub would be straight sided.

Foodie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Tobermory Tobermory (that looks great, but I live in Canada and steam pans are not that cheap here). From what I have seen online the steam pans are that same price as a stainless steel litter box (at least in Canada anyways). I guess that I will get a stainless steel litter box. Thank you everyone for the helpful replies.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks Tobermory Tobermory (that looks great, but I live in Canada and steam pans are not that cheap here). From what I have seen online the steam pans are that same price as a stainless steel litter box (at least in Canada anyways). I guess that I will get a stainless steel litter box. Thank you everyone for the helpful replies.
Well bummer. Sorry that’s not an option for you ‘cause it looks promising. :(