Does anyone on here NOT identify as a Cat Person

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe a weird question to post on a forum on cats, but I'm kind of curious if everyone on here is mad about cats (all cats, cats in general), or if there's anyone who does not identify as a cat person while still being crazy about their own cat(s).

I grew up with dogs and now have my first kitty Juno, whom I love unreasonably. But I'm not sure I'm yet to the point where I'd say I'm a Cat Person. For example, I could see myself having a dog at a different point in my life. When I first got Juno, I thought I'd just filled the Cat Shaped Hole in My Heart that I never knew I had, so enthralled was I with her. I knew nothing about cats, except what I'd read, and she is so much cooler and more interesting than I ever expected. But when I read about aloof cats, or people who selflessly care about every stray cat they see, I think, maybe I just had a Juno Shaped Hole in My Heart.

Thoughts?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, why do people insist on comparing the two?

For me, my love and appreciation for all cats came from being allowed to have my own feline friend. Through my cat' eyes I realized how misunderstood cats are and what the unloved ones have to go through each day just to survive. He taught me empathy, not just for his species, but for all animals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

For me, my love and appreciation for all cats came from being allowed to have my own feline friend. Through my cat' eyes I realized how misunderstood cats are and what the unloved ones have to go through each day just to survive. He taught me empathy, not just for his species, but for all animals.
That's a lovely way to look at it. I think one of the things I have enjoyed the most about Juno is the surprise of getting to see the world a little differently through her eyes.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might sound a little "out there" but I have always had a deep appreciation and love of cats since I was a very small child. Now don't get me wrong, I love all creatures...even some that would be considered creepy crawlies. But with cats, even as a little girl I knew they were special. I always knew that the love of a cat was earned...even if at the time I didn't know that's what it was. I just instinctively was more gentle with them, I was more patient with them. When I watched my cat from hell for the first time, and he was talking about the "slow blink" it freaked me out a bit because I used to do that with cats, knot even knowing what I was doing!!!!
My mom told me that cats would always seek me out as well. I never knew any different, but she told me that even "the mean cat" at a family friends house would tolerate me. My co-workers cat, who swats at everyone.....rubbed up against me. My mom would laugh, as she would always find me sitting somewhere by myself, with a few of the barn cats where my sister volunteered to help with the horses...Barn cats that usually kept to themselves.
IDK. I'm a cat person...I was just born into it I guess.....

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I consider myself a pet person. I love both cats and dogs, I love how different they are, and the unconditional love you get from them. I guess I should consider myself an animal person, because even as a kid, I'd donate a portion of my allowance to wild animal welfare groups.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was a dog person and not specifically fond of cats before I adopted minish unexpectedly. It's been about 6 years and Im not generally interested in other cats (few I made friends with, a stray close to mom's but not others, cats of some of my friends..)
I wasn't and I'm still not a bird person but I had a parakeet for 11 years after I found him in my apartment, somehow got in and stuck inside, no owner found in the neighborhood. We had great times until he passed.
I felt responsible for the running away of our family dog (never found) and since I lived alone in an apartment, I thought I shouldn't be a dog owner. I still have dreams about living in the countryside with a pack of dogs free to run around.
Since I got minish I learned a lot about cats and keep learning. They are fascinating creatures yes but for me, minish is minish and also happens to be a cat. I still don't think I'm a cat person.
Nonetheless, my dream country house has a few cats stalking around as well ;)

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My heart has belonged to cats since I was very young. I have always wanted one desperately. Unfortunately I was not able to have one for most of my life. My mother would not allow one in the house because she doesn't like cats. My husband was allergic. I got the girls after he passed away. We have had a few dogs over the years and while I do like dogs, I don't see myself ever getting another one. It's just the girls and me and the girls like it that way. :lovecat3:

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am really an animal person in general and feel that they all should be respected and protected. Funny that, as I grew up with my mother's show poodles who were really miserable inbred animals. No cats in sight ever and I don't think I ever even thought about them. Then one day as an adult I rescued a stray puppy, out of the blue, and completely bonded with him. That introduced me to the world of dogs who were not insane and bitey and then about a year later a big stray male Hemingway cat walked up to me and asked for food. I later learned that he was an abandoned pet whose family moved without him. Those two, Frankie and Daddy Cat ( it answered the question as to why there were so many Hemingway kittens in the area), opened the door for all the others. Right now though, I am much more actively involved with cats and have been for several years....but I guess I am still an animal person.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good question! :think: I find this happens frequently and some people can be very opinionated one way or the other.

Growing up my mom preferred cats and my dad liked dogs. I honestly had no idea what type of animal I would adopt when I moved out of the house. In college I snuck a stray puppy into the dorm, found a home for him and then later a stray kitten. I guess I was destined to live with both cats and dogs. I respect the unique qualities and inherent traits in each of them. :greenpaw: :bluepaw:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind cat's or dog's I love them both and have had both. I found when the kid's were young I stuck with dog's because I felt it would be unfair to have noisy kid's running around a cat. The same reason I didn't have small dog's. I worried the kid's would hurt them by accident. But my grown daughter would say she is a dog person even though she has 3 cat's now and is besotted with them all. I'd say she is like me a animal person.