Does anyone know of any single protein rabbit dry foods that aren’t Instinct LID?

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Basically the title.

We’re doing an elimination trial for a kitty with skin allergies. He’s currently on NV Instinct LID rabbit but it’s giving him really bad diarrhea. This morning, after another diarrhea episode, he scooted in the bed right in front of my face, and I only barely saw it (almost just kept sleeping) 🤮

I’d already started searching for an alternative this past week, and I haven’t been able to find another dry food on Chewy, Petco, or Petsmart that’s rabbit only, so I’m wondering if maybe I missed one or if someone knows of a lesser known brand that might fit the bill.

We’re trying to avoid the hydrolyzed/prescription route.

Anyway, suggestions would be very much appreciated!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found this but it also has chicken meal in it :ohwell: Only Natural Pet Feline PowerFood Rabbit Dinner Grain-Free Dry Cat Food, 10-lb bag - Chewy.com

Can you try freeze dried rabbit meals instead of regular dry? You can feed it dry instead of rehydrating it. Here are some:

Or maybe try a LID dry food in vension? Natural Balance has one but it also has green peas in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I was thinking Merrick but maybe not, but try Only Natural Pet's website
The Merrick has duck or something in it too, if I recall correctly, right?

I found this but it also has chicken meal in it :ohwell: Only Natural Pet Feline PowerFood Rabbit Dinner Grain-Free Dry Cat Food, 10-lb bag - Chewy.com

Can you try freeze dried rabbit meals instead of regular dry? You can feed it dry instead of rehydrating it. Here are some:

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Or maybe try a LID dry food in vension? Natural Balance has one but it also has green peas in it.
Ugh, that Only Natural Pet was so close!!!

I’m not sure if he’s allergic to venison or not.

We kind of already went through a food trial with lamb (to save costs on the rabbit) and while his reaction wasn’t as bad as with chicken and turkey, he still clearly had some extent of a reaction. That ended up wasting about 8 weeks, so I’m super hesitant to stray from rabbit (quail is apparently fine too).

I just can’t wait for this to be over, haha. We’re keeping our fingers crossed that beef or pork will work out so we can stop spending so much on rabbit.

I’d love to do freeze dried, but it’s too expensive for our... unique purposes.

This cat meows incessantly for food at night, and the only thing that works is free feeding him dry food (but only at night).

And he eats... a lot of it. Like a lot. He could probably eat two servings of Primal nuggets very easily.

We’ve had him thoroughly checked twice by the vet for this and all is normal, and we’ve tried addressing it behaviorally.

Free feeding is the only thing that works currently. We’re not overly concerned about the gorging only because this is just a 2-3 nights a week thing, as we rotate him and two other cats in the bedroom with us throughout the week. We’ve also increased his activity time a bit and we’re weighing him every 2 weeks as a precaution.

His regular meals are about 3:1 canned and rehydrated freeze dried (VE), though.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no! :( Sorry to hear the Instinct rabbit is giving your kitty diarrhea...

I'm sure you know all about how rabbit can be hard to find. I feel you. I was trying my cat on rabbit/lamb/duck/something new just over a year ago. It was tough.

I don't know anything about this company but I found this dry rabbit food - Feline Dry Kibble: Rabbit | Nature's Logic from Nature's Logic. However, I am not sure if this will work for you because it also has turkey meal and chicken fat? As well as a whole host of other plant/fruit ingredients...

The other one I do know if is Rayne - Rabbit-MAINT Feline | 6.6lb bag and I know it is intended as a limited ingredient diet for cats with allergies/sensitivities. It is kind of expensive, but might work for you if you are feeding it only a few nights a week (if I understand you correctly) and not every day.

Best wishes for you and your kitty :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Oh no! :( Sorry to hear the Instinct rabbit is giving your kitty diarrhea...

I'm sure you know all about how rabbit can be hard to find. I feel you. I was trying my cat on rabbit/lamb/duck/something new just over a year ago. It was tough.

I don't know anything about this company but I found this dry rabbit food - Feline Dry Kibble: Rabbit | Nature's Logic from Nature's Logic. However, I am not sure if this will work for you because it also has turkey meal and chicken fat? As well as a whole host of other plant/fruit ingredients...

The other one I do know if is Rayne - Rabbit-MAINT Feline | 6.6lb bag and I know it is intended as a limited ingredient diet for cats with allergies/sensitivities. It is kind of expensive, but might work for you if you are feeding it only a few nights a week (if I understand you correctly) and not every day.

Best wishes for you and your kitty :)
Yeah, I’d found the Nature’s Logic, and the chicken and turkey derived ingredients are too risky for an elimination diet, I think.

I had not heard of Rayne! I will keep that in mind. It requires veterinary approval and my vets are unfortunately big ‘ol shills for Royal Canin, so I’m not sure how that will go, but I will keep that in mind!

Yes, rabbit is SO hard to find, and all of it is so expensive!

This cats relentless hunger isn’t helping either!

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rayne has dry food rabbit maintenance but it does have potato sweet potato and coconut oil. My cat is allergic to sweet potato.
Hounds and Gatos is really simple though canned. It is only rabbit and a little agar agar and salmon oil. It is too high in phosphorus for a cat with kidney trouble like my cat.
My cat is on Identity rabbit and slowly adapting. It also is canned and has pumpkin carrots, kale, coconut oil and a little agar agar.