Does Anyone Here Use Toppings To Add A Smell Or Something Similar To Their Grinded Food?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So being giving raw grinded food for my two kittens for a few weeks, and they are never excited to eat it. They'll see me getting their bowls out, and always go over to the bowls when I put them down.

They'll take a look, and just walk away.

I assume part of the lack of excitement is that the food doesn't really have much of a smell.

Heating the food or pouring a broth doesn't work for them.

I tried putting some of this:

Into their food last night and they loved. Although even if I do use the chicken and vegetable one, which is probably the only relatively decent one without seafood, it still isn't exactly healthy.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who loves it when I sprinkle nutritional yeast on his food. My other kitty prefers a sprinkle of ground up crunchy treats or crunchy cat food. It adds just enough smell to encourage eating the good stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who loves it when I sprinkle nutritional yeast on his food. My other kitty prefers a sprinkle of ground up crunchy treats or crunchy cat food. It adds just enough smell to encourage eating the good stuff.
They don't seem to notice when I put their treats into their food, can't smell it. but the moment I take it out they go for the treats again.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So being giving raw grinded food for my two kittens for a few weeks, and they are never excited to eat it. They'll see me getting their bowls out, and always go over to the bowls when I put them down.

They'll take a look, and just walk away.

I assume part of the lack of excitement is that the food doesn't really have much of a smell.

Heating the food or pouring a broth doesn't work for them.

I tried putting some of this:

Into their food last night and they loved. Although even if I do use the chicken and vegetable one, which is probably the only relatively decent one without seafood, it still isn't exactly healthy.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
What kind of food, commercial, home made, what proteins?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What kind of food, commercial, home made, what proteins?
All home made. I follow Dr. Pierson's recipe. Just chicken thighs with the skin, chicken liver, egg yolks, and all the supplements.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All home made. I follow Dr. Pierson's recipe. Just chicken thighs with the skin, chicken liver, egg yolks, and all the supplements.
I wonder if a supplement is turning them off. Cats are such boogars :tongue:

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wonder if a supplement is turning them off. Cats are such boogars :tongue:
Fish Oil, Vitamin E, Vitamin B, Taurine, Morton Lite and that's it. Not sure I can really experiment around to find out.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with a freeze dried meat topper, something like e.g., Whole Life freeze dried turkey or chicken crumbled lightly over the food. Bravo, Pure Bites, Fresh is Best, Momentum and Orijen are freeze dried meat treats that don't contain other ingredients such as carageenan, xanthan, locust, guar gum and the other non meat ingredients of the product you are currently using.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would go with a freeze dried meat topper, something like e.g., Whole Life freeze dried turkey or chicken crumbled lightly over the food. Bravo, Pure Bites, Fresh is Best, Momentum and Orijen are freeze dried meat treats that don't contain other ingredients such as carageenan, xanthan, locust, guar gum and the other non meat ingredients of the product you are currently using.
I have pure bites, and while the cats enjoy eating it on it's own, they don't care for it once it hits the raw food.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried bonito flakes? Very smelly with almost no substance to them...so light weight a good puff would blow them away. Also inexpensive. They generally work to get mine to start—and finish—their food when I put them on top. I buy them at a local Asian market.

I also occasionally crumble a little Stella & Chewy’s Duck Duck Goose freeze dried on top. It’s odd to me, but even my beyond-picky eater likes it (homemade chicken only, won’t eat any other commercial raw, won’t touch Hare Today grinds).

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried bonito flakes? Very smelly with almost no substance to them...so light weight a good puff would blow them away. Also inexpensive. They generally work to get mine to start—and finish—their food when I put them on top. I buy them at a local Asian market.

I also occasionally crumble a little Stella & Chewy’s Duck Duck Goose freeze dried on top. It’s odd to me, but even my beyond-picky eater likes it (homemade chicken only, won’t eat any other commercial raw, won’t touch Hare Today grinds).
Ah I remember eating those. But it's still tuna so I don't know. Will take a look, thanks!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Ah I remember eating those. But it's still tuna so I don't know. Will take a look, thanks!
I know how you feel. It's the only fish-related thing I ever give them. But it's almost like dust after I rub the flakes between my fingers and such a minuscule amount that I decided not to worry about it.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I crumble whole raw Dog treats on my cats food to entice them, what the heck it is raw. The cats love it. I have also used nutritional yeast on and off for a couple years, it is hit or miss. The only thing I have found that always works ( but it is not the greatest quality)is Purina Feline Fortiflora, it is listed as a probiotic but it does not have ingredients I want in a probiotic. I don't know why but my cats can walk away from a dish but, if I sprinkle that on they come back and eat it. I rarely use it anymore, not since I had a new cat I need to transition but, I always have a box of it , it disguises medicine in food so I do not have to struggle with pilling ( as long as I can crush pills and put them in food) Since my cats are raw fed I don't need to use that much so, I carry some in my purse in case I get into a discussion with someone about how to medicate their cat. Then I give them a packet or two. Most vets carry it (it stops diarrhea) but much less expensive on Amazon. Good luck, the determining factor is your own dedication and patience.