Does Anyone Here Have A Maine Coon?

marilyn777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just recently rescued a beautiful Maine Coon and she has joined our family. Meaning Savannah (Calico) and Patches (Jack Russell). Does anyone know alot about the breed? So far she is so incredibly laid back. She had made herself at home here really quickly and she has commandeered the dogs bed forcing her to sleep in the cats bed. I will post some pictures of this its really quite hilarious! She loves to eat and her meow is very quiet almost a chirp. Any other tidbits of information would be welcome..

Thanks Marilyn

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Maine Coon cross that I got from the Humane Society about 7 years ago. When I first got him, I thought he was retarded.

He didn't meow until he was seven months old, and when he did, he scared himself. He didn't know what happened.

I love him, his name is KittenKiya and he is the smartest cat I have ever seen. It took him 24 seconds to figure out that if he broght his jingly ball back to me, I would throw it again for him to play with. He is the only cat I know of that taught himself how to fetch.

They mature V E R Y slowly, enjoy every minute of it. They are so loving. When he wants attention, he sits on the bed and looks at me. Then he puts one of his paws on my shirt. I'll say "Do you want some lovings, Kiya?" and he puts his head down and waits for me to love him. When I am finished, he puts his paw back up and says, "More, please"

I envy you, I wish I had room for more.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Maine Coon cross that was a lovely big boy, at 22 lbs. He had a tiny meow that you would expect to come out of a kitten's mouth, not this HUGE cat. He was a big scaredy cat, and would curl up and put his paws over his eyes. He was content for the other cats to work out the pecking order. He was so mellow that as long as he was fed and petted, he didn't care who was in charge. He had the sweet temperament of a Maine Coon, but not the lovely coat. Every cat tht I have ever met that has a drop of MC blood has been a big, sweet kitty. I would love to have a purebred one some day. You are lucky to have rescued one. We love pics here, could you pst some of your new baby?

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a Tabby Coon rescue too! I drove 75 miles to get her, she's the middle photo, Saba, pronounced "Sayba". She's full grown, just over a year now and 4.5 lbs. She is TINY. She, too, was instantly comfortable in our home and made friends with Sandy puppy very quickly. She adores her older brother Sasha, 13 years her senior, and she never does anything wrong. Saba is quiet, almost never speaks, and is spunky and moody - a little quiet diva of a Coon.

I think she is beautiful. The scars of her abandonment are that she won't eat unless she feels safe without anybody else around, and she only plays for moments at a time, refusing to fully let her guard down.

We have told her over and over that she's safe now, I guess it might take years for the adjustment.

I typed into Google "Maine Coon" and got tons of info.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marilyn777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the wonderful posts about your MC's Here are a couple of pictures of my girl CeCe! The name came with her but I think I'm starting to like it. From what I was told when I adopted her that she is a purebred. Which doesn't really matter to me because of the two MC's that I was shown the other was a beautiful male named Harley CeCe chose me to come home with. So I took her home with me I love it when they make the choice.

Thats how my kitty (Sassy-RIP
) come home with me when he was a kitten he chose me. CeCe has got a beautiful laid back temperament nothing phases this girl she only hide for about an hour when I first brought her home then she made herself at home. She is trying disparately to make friends with my other kitty Savannah (Calico -13 years old) but Savannah wants no part of her. She has always had an attitude and would never play with Sassy either. She preferred to be by herself.

And CeCe is also trying to make friends with my Jack Russell (Patched - also 13). Patches does not know what to make of her, CeCe rubes up against her and tries to get her attention I think she wants to play but Patchy is just not sure what to do with her!
For a MC she is very petite but she has huge paws and loves to reach out and tap the mouse when I am on the computer.

She also has a pillow beside my computer that she shares with Savannah. They like to be close to me and I them! Like I said her meow is very soft almost a chirp but she wakes up from a sound sleep everytime I open the fridge door. She loves to eat! The one picture below she has taken over Patchy's dog bed and now Patchy has to squeeze herself into the cats bed.

I've seen CeCe spread full out in the dog bed and Patchy sitting beside it staring at Cece, then CeCe reaches out her paw and taps her on the nose! Then Patchy gets the hint and moves on over to the cat bed. They are a constant source of amusement aren't they?

Anyway thanks for sharing about your MC's from what I've read they are in general a very laid back breed, easy going, big teddy bears! Do you all have to brush your MC's a lot because so far her coat looks great and it doesn't seem to mat up at all. She isn't crazy about being brushed anyway. I love her though she is a beautiful cat!

Thanks Marilyn

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a Maine Coon cross as well- Kabota rescued in an old barn living under a tractor. He was the neatest bottle baby and the coolest cat.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marilyn, she is gorgeous!!! A beauty!

Please be a frequent vistor and tell us all about her behavior in the Behavior Forum. And I do hope you grow to love CeCe's name.

There isn't one day I do not think of my beloved SiSi, my best friend for 11 years.
She was a stray that found me with her newborn, Sasha, and was the light of my life.

SiSi, May 18, 2003, never forgotten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marilyn777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sasha is gorgeous too she looks very similar to my CeCe. I'm sorry about your Sisi I know how you feel. My Sassy died on December 3rd and I still break out into tears if I think about him too much. He was my very special guy I miss him so much. I had him cremated and I have his ashes in a beautiful cedar box and they took a paw print for me and made a cast of it. I can't look at it yet I fall apart still too easily. And although CeCe can never replace him she is a sweet new addition with her own personality to get to know and love.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marilyn777

I just recently rescued a beautiful Maine Coon and she has joined our family. Meaning Savannah (Calico) and Patches (Jack Russell). Does anyone know alot about the breed? So far she is so incredibly laid back. She had made herself at home here really quickly and she has commandeered the dogs bed forcing her to sleep in the cats bed. I will post some pictures of this its really quite hilarious! She loves to eat and her meow is very quiet almost a chirp. Any other tidbits of information would be welcome..

Thanks Marilyn
My dad has a maine coon, and I grew up with the maine coon. Maine coons have different personalities....they usually connect with one person in the household (which was my mom) and they make churping sounds when they are scared or when they are trying to get your attention....now my maine coon was a "scardy cat"...he was afraid of rolly pollies!! lol one time he went up to a rolly pollie and when it came out of the ball and started moving, he jumped as high as he could!! I love maine coons...its just that it is hard to find them..since they are expensive cats.

kbak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a maine coon. I lost my last MC who was a rescue cat. The one I have now is also a MC and another stray I took in. My last cat, "Miss Kitty", was the love of my life, it killed me to lose her. She was funny. I wouldn't call her laid back, tho my currant cat "Babie Kitty", is very layed back. Maine Coons are mighty hunter's! They bond really well with their owner's. Babie Kitty, is only the second MC that I've had. Both have been really great cat's. As soon as I can get my busy hubby to get a pic up of her I will. She's gorgeous!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Marilyn, your CeCe is absolutely gorgeous! She looks like a big cuddle bug!

I would love to have a MC one day, they sound like awesome cats. I'd like to rescue one too.
Alaynna -
he was afraid of rolly pollies!! lol one time he went up to a rolly pollie and when it came out of the ball and started moving, he jumped as high as he could!!
What's a rolly pollie?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh those are neat little bugs! We called them slaters where I came from.