Does Anyone Here Do Crafts As A Hobby?

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can crochet, and i also can do needlepoint and cross stitch, but they take to long! I love to crochet, it gives me something to do when i watch TV. I'm trying to learn one-stroke painting, and I'd love to know how to make candles and homemade bath products. Not enough hours in the day for all that.

Sometimes, I have 2 helpers when I'm crocheting. I have to watch them, because they try to eat the yarn.

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bren.1

I can crochet, and i also can do needlepoint and cross stitch, but they take to long! I love to crochet, it gives me something to do when i watch TV. I'm trying to learn one-stroke painting, and I'd love to know how to make candles and homemade bath products. Not enough hours in the day for all that.

Sometimes, I have 2 helpers when I'm crocheting. I have to watch them, because they try to eat the yarn.
I have a good friend that does one stroke painting, she has spent a fortune learning it! I do envy you on the crochet thing - it still totally eludes me. I know what you mean about 'helpers' - mine sleep in my silk fabric and get realy arsy when I have to shift them!
alexis

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tulip2454

OH MY WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the smaller count stuff is really fab! It DOES look like painting (hows your eyesight

Re interpret the designs and do one in cross stitch. Or maybe re-interpret the sand painting (not copy as I think that is a no no?) - it would totally look like paint.
Good luck
Alexis
I can see close up great without my glasses. I also have the PC Stitch software so I can make design simple by converting a jpg to a pattern in a few minutes. I have a number of sand paintings (some are even quality artists) and much better than any x-stitch book that I've seen on the topic. Good idea - I like to mix various mediums with my art and have my hallway dedicated to cloth type art.

hootiecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there, hootiecat here! I love to do jewelry crafts, I work with seed beads and glass or crystals. Austrian crystals are awesome. I also like to use wire and silver beads and precious stone beads, like tiger's eyes. I usually give what I create to my little girl, or to her cousins, and to some of my freinds. I have a few I've kept for myself too. I use to know how to crochet, embroider and latchhhook and crossstitch too but it's been so long I may have forgotten. h-cat

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abby7625

Sorry to be so naive...What is one stroke painting?
From what I understand it is exactly that - painting in one stroke!. You load the brush and in 'one stroke' set it down. If that makes sense! So, if you are painting say a rose bud, you would load the brush with perhaps a pink pigment with a side load of white (I think you pull the brush on the side through the white) and press the brush into the paper, pull the brush along and lift at the end.
Oh boy I'm totally cr@p at this explaination stuff. Anyway, for the rose stem. Load the brush with perhaps green and starting at the bottom of the bud 'pull' the brush downwards, lifting it off where you want to end. Have you ever seen what we over here call Canal Art - its very similar.
I think you would be better looking it up in the library. I do know that if you put in -one stroke painting- on your search engine it will come up with loads of stuff. I think from what my friend says a woman called Donna Dewberry(?) made a mint out of it!
Good luck
Alexis

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks...It sounds difficult. Of course I can't draw a straight line with a ruler so it's really intimidating.

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can any of you tell me how I can get red kool-aid out of my cross stitch picture? It's the same one I posted previously about...3 years of work and my 5 year old just dropped a cup of kool-aid all over my sewing box it was in and it dripped all over before I could get it out and the mess cleaned up. I know alot of the colors are not color fast and will run. If I can't get the spots out, it's ruined.

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its a powdered fruit flavored drink. You mix it with water and sugar.

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes. I think what I would do is sprinkle some on a spare piece of material, then let it dry, as the one on your work must be dry by now. Then on the spare piece try Vodka, Nail Polish remover, or White Wine. If that doesn't work I will look for some other ideas. Do you have Stain Devil over there?

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried everything I could think of and finally got it out...plain old hot water. I finally realized I had nothing to lose, it was going to be ruined either way so I let the hot water run in the kitchen sink and held the picture under it. All of the red spots came out almost instantly and only one color ran. I can just take out that area where it did and restitch it. I ironed it dry so it didnt lose its shape or anything and it's good as new. Hot water...go figure!

eneelk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Next time don't put a hot water, cause the other thread are going to fade. If your project is dirty just hand wash it with cold water and don't use detergent soap that has a chlorine in it. When you are not doing your cross stitch, cover your work with a cloth (I covered mine with Bath towel, I fold the towel first) so it's won't get dirty and it will protect your work against dust, and put it somewhere safe. Hope this help.

I found these pictures, I have a cross stitch patterns of this I am going to make those.

Home Cat

Sarah Holding a Cat

I already made this one. The kitty looks like my Scuffy!

Cats in a Hat