Does anyone have recommendations for food for picky seniors?

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is 15, ever since he got older he has become so picky with food. I have tried so many foods, I don’t like to change the food too much because I don’t want to upset his stomach. He is in good health, he still eats but he has become extremely much less interested in dry food. He gets excited when he sees that I’m feeding them but he usually takes a few bites and walks away. He does enjoy the Delectables senior bisque treats but since it’s a treat I don’t know if it’s enough nutrition for him. I tried the tiki cat senior food with the same consistency but he didn’t like it. I would like to feed him something somewhat healthy to try to prevent any health problems, especially since he’s getting so old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried any Fancy Feast pate style varieties? What about Royal Canin mousse style (it's called mother and babycat)?

There might be something here that helps, there are two articles and quite a few posts from members;

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
Yes I actually have been trying different flavors of the fancy feast pate but he just doesn’t care. I haven’t tried the royal canin though, I definitely will! Thank you

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried Fancy Feast petite? Purina Fancy Feast Gourmet Gravy Wet Cat Food, Petites Turkey & Sweet Potato Entree - (12) 2.8 oz. Tubs https://a.co/d/fBvMRfx. My group hates pates but they like this one and they are normally broth type food lovers. It's not as good as the pate, but the good food is sometimes the one your cat will eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Fancy Feast petite? Purina Fancy Feast Gourmet Gravy Wet Cat Food, Petites Turkey & Sweet Potato Entree - (12) 2.8 oz. Tubs https://a.co/d/fBvMRfx. My group hates pates but they like this one and they are normally broth type food lovers. It's not as good as the pate, but the good food is sometimes the one your cat will eat.
I haven’t tried that but I definitely will, thank you!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one thing to watch out for with Fancy Feast for senior cats is the phosphorus, which tends to be a bit high. Adding extra water to the food and/or feeding other foods that are lower in phosphorus, like Weruva, would help even that out, though. Another thought is Sheba, particularly the pates.

One of the main goals in feeding senior cats is to give them lots of protein since they tend to lose muscle mass. (That's mentioned here...) One good source of information on protein as well as phosphorus is this food chart, which makes it easy to compare various foods.

It can be hard to feed picky cats -- good luck!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat stopped liking her weruva so I got Fromm Chicken duck and she loves it? It has a strong smell like ff but much more expensive

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is 15, ever since he got older he has become so picky with food. I have tried so many foods, I don’t like to change the food too much because I don’t want to upset his stomach. He is in good health, he still eats but he has become extremely much less interested in dry food. He gets excited when he sees that I’m feeding them but he usually takes a few bites and walks away. He does enjoy the Delectables senior bisque treats but since it’s a treat I don’t know if it’s enough nutrition for him. I tried the tiki cat senior food with the same consistency but he didn’t like it. I would like to feed him something somewhat healthy to try to prevent any health problems, especially since he’s getting so old.
Have you had his teeth checked? Usually, when they stop eating dry food may be a sign of teeth problems. Try different Pate cat foods. But what ever you do, make the cat eats something.