Does anyone have experience with Melatonin implants for birth control?

Persiankittens

Snowheart Persians
Young Cat
Purraise
Melatonin injection for birth control...

Naturally, I'm intrigued but cautious.

As an owner of a CFA cattery, I do my diligence in keeping the queens separate from the toms as needed, but the thought of having a BC injection once a year to keep the accidental litter out of the question is definitely peaking my interest!

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Why can't I seem to find a vet that knows what I'm talking about, and where the receptionist clearly thinks I'm missing screws?

I would love to hear any first hand knowledge, if your queen responded well, side effects, how long before she went back into heat, if the litter count was normal, hard labor/same, etc etc.

I'm interested but will not be doing anything until I learn much much more!

Appreciate any and all responses!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was only able to find one thread where this was mentioned by a long time member, but I have no idea where they got the information or whether they have first hand experience or not. You might send them a PM and ask if they don't respond to your own thread. Here is the thread, and it's post #4: Melatonin for cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Persiankittens

Snowheart Persians
Young Cat
Purraise
I was only able to find one thread where this was mentioned by a long time member, but I have no idea where they got the information or whether they have first hand experience or not. You might send them a PM and ask if they don't respond to your own thread. Here is the thread, and it's post #4: Melatonin for cats?
Thank you, looks like she might not even be a member anymore, my phone won't let me send her a message 😭 I'll keep reading into it!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Melatonin as a birth control seems odd. I would think they would be looking for a deslorin implant or perhaps a lupron shot for that, I only have experience with those as controlling hormonal imbalances in ferrets but I know they are used sometimes for birds and other animals to prevent breeding cycles.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you, looks like she might not even be a member anymore, my phone won't let me send her a message 😭 I'll keep reading into it!
I think you may be right. They haven't posted anything since Feb. of this year :sigh: Sorry about that.

KittyMao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Melatonin injection for birth control...

Naturally, I'm intrigued but cautious.

As an owner of a CFA cattery, I do my diligence in keeping the queens separate from the toms as needed, but the thought of having a BC injection once a year to keep the accidental litter out of the question is definitely peaking my interest!

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Why can't I seem to find a vet that knows what I'm talking about, and where the receptionist clearly thinks I'm missing screws?

I would love to hear any first hand knowledge, if your queen responded well, side effects, how long before she went back into heat, if the litter count was normal, hard labor/same, etc etc.

I'm interested but will not be doing anything until I learn much much more!

Appreciate any and all responses!
This is good for 2 months if given while in heat the first time but every 4 months normally to suppress estrus in felines. If given the first time while in heat it won’t stop the current heat cycle it will become effective afterwards, it may end a bit early but it is effective. The implant is placed between the shoulder blades under the skin just by sterilizing the area and lifting the scruff up high putting the implant syringe in parallel to the back not downward incase the cat manages to suddenly move you don’t want that hitting the animals spine. Very few vets do it and they charge a lot. It’s called a Melawin implant it’s 18mg no prescription keep refrigerated at the proper temp. There is a YouTube video showing how to do the implant the site to purchase it is melatoninimplants.us I would consult a vet as the small tube holding the hormone does not dissolve so I’m currently looking for an alternative that does not involve a hysterectomy.