Does anyone have any tips to prevent fleas?

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have indoor only cats, I just started them on a monthly flea preventative. One of my cats has a flea allergy and he will scratch so much that he gets bald spots. My vet said it can be hard to completely prevent fleas but recommend a flea preventative (before I just had medication that kills fleas but doesn’t prevent them). She also recommended Atopica. I’m just confused about how I got fleas in the first place. I don’t see any fleas, I wouldnt even know I had them if my cat didn’t have an allergy but she said even one flea can cause this. I thought that having indoor only cats would prevent fleas, I have no idea how they’re getting them. If anybody has any suggestions to go along with the flea preventative I would really appreciate it. I feel so bad for my cat and I’m so nervous about him having a more serious reaction than just skin irritation one day so I’d like to do as much as possible to prevent them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fleas can hitch a ride on your clothes or your guests' clothes, bags, etc to enter the home. They're teeny and like to hide in dark crevices like around the seams. Unless you live in a completely sterile and completely sealed up home with an airlock, there's no way to 100% prevent fleas and other parasites from entering the home.

TCS has an article on homemade remedies to treat and possibly prevent fleas: Homemade Flea Remedies For Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All my cats are indoor cats and they got fleas last Fall. My husband and I like to work in the yard and this is how the fleas got inside. Now when I go outside I try to brush my clothes off before coming inside. I have a dozen indoor cats and it was a nightmare…I had to vacuum a lot and I mean “a lot”… gave them all flea treatments and I also sprayed a flea spray in each room. I also did a lot of combing, which I think really helped a lot.
since I have so many cats I think it took longer to get rid of them..You’ll need to vacuum in all the little places where they sleep and hang out. Wash their beds, blankets, whatever they lay on…..
Good luck

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was in Florida this past winter and I ended with 4 indoor cats with fleas. Talk about a nightmare! I have them treatments and that seemed to get rid of them after several months. Now that I’m back in CT the cold weather here should have killed then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was in Florida this past winter and I ended with 4 indoor cats with fleas. Talk about a nightmare! I have them treatments and that seemed to get rid of them after several months. Now that I’m back in CT the cold weather here should have killed then.
It’s terrible! I live in new York and it just started getting warm so I guess there are more fleas around. I just feel so bad that one of them has an allergy