Does anyone have any experience with illness in cats?

patrickcrayze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m sorry if this isn’t the right place to post or is inappropriate in any way! I’m just looking for maybe anyone who might have similar issues or more knowledge than me on what’s going on with my cat. Her name is Miss Keisha and nearly 5 years old and I love her more than anything (and her 3 guinea pig brothers lol), lately more so than before she seems to get into moods where she’s cranky and wants to be left alone, usually accompanied by vomitting and refusing to eat.

She has been to her vets numerous times and we ruled out leukaemia which we originally thought was the cause, by my vets kinda settled on “immune problem” and said this will flare up and go again and left it there. I’ve been in the process of my own autoimmune disease diagnosis since the start of the year (yay) and I’m kinda unhappy with how often she’s seen her vet over this and she still doesn’t have a concrete diagnosis or plan to make her more comfortable when she is feeling like this.

For history, she was born in a litter to a group of feral cats I was feeding in October 2017. The mother disappeared and I took in the kittens when they were about 3 weeks old, unfortunately no one survived but her despite how hard I tried. When she was a few months old she was very very sick, and it’s a miracle she survived, her vet was certain she wouldn’t. So basically I’m just wondering if anyone may have any suggestions or insights I could even mention to the her vets? The vet who saved her life is a fantastic vet and I have so much faith in him but unfortunately he’s rarely at the clinic now because he mainly works with large animals :(

Included a picture of her because she’s literally the light of my life lol (Her eye damage was down to her illness as a baby, it’s benign and causes her no pain fortunately)

This is her :)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patrickcrayze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually changed her dry food to Burgess from Whiskas a couple of weeks ago and she gets wet food as a treat, but I noticed an increase in the days she’s feeling under the weather even before I’d changed her food. Usually it would’ve been a day maybe every couple months or so but now it seems to be a few days a month where she’s not herself :( She usually perks up after a few hours so I really don’t know why she’s having these spurts of feeling terrible or what autoimmune problem my vets even had in mind when they told me that. I’ll try to narrow down her diet either way though and keep an eye on how she’s reacting to certain foods!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The intermittent frequency of her bouts does seem to suggest a viral/immune condition with what the vet called recurring 'flare ups'. You might ask your vet if there are other tests that could be run looking for other viruses.

In the meantime, assuming this is some sort of viral/immune condition, you could try a supplement that members on this site use to help support the immune system in their cats with viruses -
Amazon.com : VetriScience Laboratories Vetri-DMG 125 mg, 3.85 fl oz : Pet Antioxidant Nutritional Supplements : Pet Supplies

DMG ( Vitamin B15 ) for Pet Health | Pet Health | Articles | Magazine (totalhealthmagazine.com)

Keep a log of when she has these flare ups, including what she has eaten - it might help shed some light on any food related issues too.

If Miss Keisha spends time with the guinea pigs, make sure she doesn't eat their food or their bedding material. Those types of things could also cause her to vomit and not feel well.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful cat! I love her "vanilla cream" eye shadow and the striped stockings :loveeyes: Does Miss Keisha take L-lysine and/or CoQ10? I use human grade supplements for my kitties but my veterinarian is an old-school country vet who is familiar with alternate medicine. I have former ferals of similar age whose families succumbed to various illnesses (FIP, calicivirus, panleuckopenia); 3 weeks old is about the age that the kittens lose their mother's antibodies. Please keep us updated!