Does anyone have an air fryer?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH gave me an amazon gift card and told me to buy something for myself and not for the house. I am thinking about getting an air fryer combo. :lol: Do you have one? Do you like it? This is a tough decision for me. I don't have a microwave. I have a double oven and usually use only the small upper part, unless I am preparing a big meal. Advice would be much appreciated. I love to cook.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have an air fryer i used once and placed back into its box i felt the food came out dried not juicy like real fried foods taste. was more hassel to me cleaning that basket after to not like a pan you can just wipe the grease/oil up then soak and wash etc. they do work and are healthier though :lol:sorry not much helpi would say give it a try you might like it i know people who love theirs :biggrin:i will be loyal to frying in oil is all

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small convection oven with air fryer function. I agree with game misconduct game misconduct that foods are dried out and not really tasty when you use the air fryer. However, I really like the convection oven. It's great for cooking pizza, reheating pizza, cooking burritos and similar items. It cooks quickly, uses less power and heats the kitchen less.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small air fryer. I really like it but only use it for meat. I don't find it dries the meat out at all, however, I keep the skin on for chicken and put a light bread coating for pork chops. I've only ever used it for a thicker cut steak, and it stayed juicy. It works well for burgers (when it's raining outside, so no BBQ) and sausages. For sausages though, the skin it a bit tougher to bite thru than if fried, but not enough to stop using it for that.
I find they render fat really nicely and crisp up skin really well.
The one thing though is I always, ALWAYS, spray some oil on the basket, otherwise when it's time to flip I'll loose some of the coating due to it sticking that I put on some of my meats.
I love how cooking times are lower using it, so for weekdays when I get home from work we can eat in a reasonable time frame. But I also don't have to fuss with the meat either, just turn once half way thru. Don't have to worry about a pan on the stove and spitting oil or heating up my kitchen with the oven on hot days.
I have not used it for frozen foods (chicken fingers, battered fish, etc.) although it says it can, so I can't comment on those. And I have not used it for potato sides like fries as it's too small a basket and I don't want to have to make several batches.
1657973898598.png

This is the one I have, not a fancy or expensive one. Don't be fooled by the overflowing basket on the picture, you're supposed to try and keep foods in a single layer as best a possible for even and crispy cooking...you can't fill it up like that.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
nurseangel nurseangel We have three Ninja Foodi Grills (NFG), the 5-in-1 and the XL. We also have the 7-in-1 with the griddle; I don't use that one very often. I've done wings, burgers, dogs, brats, pork chops, pork tenderloins, turkey breasts, London broils, pulled pork, you name it, I've made it. I do an awesome pork roast, cut it open, pound it thin, stuff with onions and apples, roll it back up, tie it, and roast the thing. So good. Or do the same thing, but use a mustard slather and herbs and then roll it back up. I haven't used the oven for meat loaf in a long time, perfect in the NFG. Ribs are awesome! Baked potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, fresh (not frozen) French fries, mac and cheese, tuna and noodles, Naan pizza, corn on the cob, grilled asparagus, etc. I've baked small cakes in both of them. The 5-in-1 is deeper than the XL and it's still my favorite for turkey breasts. But I really like the XL for spatchcocked chickens. I have Baked, Roasted, Grilled, and Air-Crisped. I have not Dehydrated, only because I have a separate dehydrator that I use.

I have also found that a good brining of many meats really help. They're not dry at all.

Doing a turkey breast on Monday in the 5-in-1. I'll brine it first and let it hang out in the fridge for a while. Season it. A larger turkey breast may have to be split in half, even for the 5-in-1; smaller breasts are fine.

I don't find it difficult to clean. The trick is to keep after it, like you would any cooking utensil. After every use, the splatterguard goes into the dishwasher. While we're eating, I have the pieces soaking in Dawn. A quick scrub is usually all it takes. Yes, cleaning the top can be a bugger. I just clean as best I can after I use it.

For the most part, I spray the food, NOT the pan. Avocado spray ONLY. Do not use Pam!

Some of the NFGs come with their own thermometer. I don't use them as I've heard some funky things about them not working properly. I use my own thermometer.

There's a learning curve, but it's well worth figuring things out. I started a bit of a recipe collection: Recipes - Ninja Foodi Grill There are a couple really nice sites on FB for the NFG, too. The people are more than willing to help out when you have a question.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all for the insight. I still haven't made up my mind. I have been studying them. I don't want this to end up like the Instant Pot. Why, I was going to make sous vide! My freezer was going to be stocked full! Stocked full! :disappointed:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one. It's big and takes up a lot of space on my counters, so I tend to go in phases of using it and keeping it in a closet. I do think it makes frozen french fries a lot better. I also like that I don't have to heat up the oven to make some things. I haven't done much experimenting with it though. I'm not a fan of how difficult it is to clean though. So if you do get one, find one that is easy to clean.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on your situation.

I have one and I love it. I use it every day. But I am also a single person. I like it because I can cook one chicken breast and a few fries and not have to heat up my big oven.

I have a friend with 4 kids and she bought one but doesn’t use it because it’s not big enough to cook for a family of 6 all at once. She still has to use her oven to have things done for the whole family to eat at one time.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on your situation.

I have one and I love it. I use it every day. But I am also a single person. I like it because I can cook one chicken breast and a few fries and not have to heat up my big oven.

I have a friend with 4 kids and she bought one but doesn’t use it because it’s not big enough to cook for a family of 6 all at once. She still has to use her oven to have things done for the whole family to eat at one time.
I also have a small glass one which can be put in the dishwasher, which I LOVE

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
nurseangel nurseangel We have three Ninja Foodi Grills (NFG), the 5-in-1 and the XL. We also have the 7-in-1 with the griddle; I don't use that one very often. I've done wings, burgers, dogs, brats, pork chops, pork tenderloins, turkey breasts, London broils, pulled pork, you name it, I've made it. I do an awesome pork roast, cut it open, pound it thin, stuff with onions and apples, roll it back up, tie it, and roast the thing. So good. Or do the same thing, but use a mustard slather and herbs and then roll it back up. I haven't used the oven for meat loaf in a long time, perfect in the NFG. Ribs are awesome! Baked potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, fresh (not frozen) French fries, mac and cheese, tuna and noodles, Naan pizza, corn on the cob, grilled asparagus, etc. I've baked small cakes in both of them. The 5-in-1 is deeper than the XL and it's still my favorite for turkey breasts. But I really like the XL for spatchcocked chickens. I have Baked, Roasted, Grilled, and Air-Crisped. I have not Dehydrated, only because I have a separate dehydrator that I use.

I have also found that a good brining of many meats really help. They're not dry at all.

Doing a turkey breast on Monday in the 5-in-1. I'll brine it first and let it hang out in the fridge for a while. Season it. A larger turkey breast may have to be split in half, even for the 5-in-1; smaller breasts are fine.

I don't find it difficult to clean. The trick is to keep after it, like you would any cooking utensil. After every use, the splatterguard goes into the dishwasher. While we're eating, I have the pieces soaking in Dawn. A quick scrub is usually all it takes. Yes, cleaning the top can be a bugger. I just clean as best I can after I use it.

For the most part, I spray the food, NOT the pan. Avocado spray ONLY. Do not use Pam!

Some of the NFGs come with their own thermometer. I don't use them as I've heard some funky things about them not working properly. I use my own thermometer.

There's a learning curve, but it's well worth figuring things out. I started a bit of a recipe collection: Recipes - Ninja Foodi Grill There are a couple really nice sites on FB for the NFG, too. The people are more than willing to help out when you have a question.
I absolutely second this recommendation. Pam, I was getting ready to tag you into this thread if you hadn't answered already. I love, love, love my NFG. In all honesty, you can't go wrong with anything made by Ninja.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I did post this in the Recipes for the NFG:Recipes - Ninja Foodi Grill but thought I would post it here, too. Keep in mind that this is a good recommendation, but it does depend on your make and model of air fryer. And you do have to keep an eye on things.

ACTimes.jpg

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small Ninja fryer and although I've only used it for fish (so far), I absolutely love it.
I have mastered my fried crab legs (imitation of course) and my fried fish. I found the key to making it fry up right and not be dry is to coat the top with oil. I use spray, like Pam, but it's a coconut oil. One quick spray in a circle and it doesn't dry out.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love mine for homemade french fries. You still have to lightly coat them with oil, or spray them with Pam, but they are delicious! I spray the basket first and throw it in the dishwasher, so no problem there. i also use it for reheating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am the most indecisive person in the world. Something bad recently happened, so I have spent a lot of time looking at smokeless grills and air fryers, trying to take my mind elsewhere. Still haven't bought one!

I did get a Meyer lemon bush, however. I know it's off topic, but DH wanted a dogwood tree, and I saw the word citrus in the online catalog and was immediately onboard. I have never heard of a "lemon bush" so I supposed it's grafted. I used the excuse of free shipping if I bought it, too. DH grows weary of me killing fruit trees. The Walking Stick was not my fault. I hated that bug!

Goodness I am tired. I feel like I haven't slept in a week.

I really appreciate all your advice. And now I shall look at Ninjas. That's what my brother has, but he only makes toast. :sigh: