Does anyone have a cat water fountain and how do your cats like it?

GazzaDodge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have a cat water fountain and how do your cats like it? I want to get one but i have finky cats so i am worried they may not use it or like it.

Also can you hear the water fountain making some electric buzzing noise

Also is there one that u can hook to the pumbling so u do not have to fill it
My cat loves his water fountain and it's easy to assemble and clean and doesn't need plumbing. I take my already filtered water container that I use from Brita and pour it daily into the fountain and it just triple purifies and I can clean it weekly, although it says you can do it monthly. I'm such an overkill wonderful momma. He eats and drinks better than I do, which is interesting to note... He takes breaks eating his food out of his ergonomic bowl that's high enough for him to not sqwatch down and drinks out of the fountain like we did as children on the playground. Here's the fountain I use:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello GazzaDodge GazzaDodge and welcome to TCS! :hellocomputer: This thread was created a few years ago; so I'm not sure if the original poster is active on the site anymore. We have a Review section that members can add to if you would like to leave one for your fountain.

Also please come introduce yourself and your cat in the New Cats on the Block Forum if you haven't already! See you around the forums! :)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello ...

We have a Review section that members can add to if you would like to leave one for your fountain.

I've been wondering about the Review section -- how does one leave specific Reviews with this new site platform? After we switched platforms, I looked and couldn't figure it out. I see a way to leave normal comments, but I don't really understand how to leave actual Reviews, with "Pros", "Cons", etc. I've never reviewed anything before (on the old platform even), but I might start to do so in the future. How is it done? I feel like an ignoramus.
:help:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been wondering about the Review section -- how does one leave specific Reviews with this new site platform? After we switched platforms, I looked and couldn't figure it out. I see a way to leave normal comments, but I don't really understand how to leave actual Reviews, with "Pros", "Cons", etc. I've never reviewed anything before (on the old platform even), but I might start to do so in the future. How is it done? I feel like an ignoramus.
:help:
I just had to figure it out, so don't feel bad. :lol:

If you go into an item, there is a gray bar with an option to "rate and review". Once you rate it, it pulls up the area to review. I feel you need an item added, a mod can add it for you. If I'm the lucky mos I'll pour myself a giant glass of wine and try to figure it out. :lol: We're still trying to figure out the platform too.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks AbbysMom! Now I am seeing what you are talking about! Thank you. I will give it a try, then maybe do a series of reviews in a while!
-- I didn't mean to highjack the thread (sorry, moochnnoodles)-- :hijack:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a gravity fed fountain the replendish by petmate. Problem I have with fountains that plug in is they make me have to go to the bathroom all the time because of the running water.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I have fountains for Freya, and, once she got used to them, she *LOVES* them.
I like the stainless steel pioneer pet raindrop models, because every couple of weeks I can just toss it in the dishwasher (except the pump) to clean it!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've used Drinkwell fountains for the past 10 years, and I switched 2 years ago from the plastic to the ceramic. My cats have loved the fountains. Yes, my fountain requires changing filters, but I get them cheaply and easily with Amazon Subscribe & Save. And keeping the fountain clean (cleaning the motor, too) and changing the filters extends the life of the fountain. Although it has filters, I also only use filtered water in it.

hannah's.dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi,
i brought 'cat it' flower fountain. and my cat loves it. its actually very easy to maintain and clean. simple openings and a simple spout. no bends to clean out. filter isn't too expensive as well. i use filtered water also to keep the filter lasting for longer. and keep the fountain in a quieter non dust area to increase the life of the filter.
there are three settings on the fountain to increase or decrease the 'bubbling effect'. once i found the setting that my cat likes she only drink from it now.
it hold around 2 liters i fill it and keep top it up every 4 days or so. as if the level drops you can hear the motor. i clean it out twice a month and so far no hassle and no issue.
its a plastic body & more affordable that the others. but if you have a muticat household with outdoor cats etc. a steel fountain might be better as that does not allow bacteria to grow.

on a side note. i have been trying to hook the water fountain to some sort of movement detector. so it only turns on when she walks in. longer filter life, less water evaporation & saves electricity i guess. so far its just an idea. trying to figure out how to make it happen.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
on a side note. i have been trying to hook the water fountain to some sort of movement detector. so it only turns on when she walks in. longer filter life, less water evaporation & saves electricity i guess. so far its just an idea. trying to figure out how to make it happen.
I'm not sure how you would do that. But I figured I'd mention; I've only had 2 fountains in my cat's 12 years. So I don't know that I'd be too concerned about longevity. Constant motion helps keep it clean and cooler. That would concern me. Some cats might not like something that makes a noise each time they approach. Others won't care of course. I have also had our fountain run without a filter. If your cleaning regularly; that's probably ok to do.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guys love their fountain. Each one has a different spot they prefer to drink from. It can be finicky about being put back together after cleaning but we've had ours so long its habit.

20170708_093708.jpg

hannah's.dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure how you would do that. But I figured I'd mention; I've only had 2 fountains in my cat's 12 years. So I don't know that I'd be too concerned about longevity. Constant motion helps keep it clean and cooler. That would concern me. Some cats might not like something that makes a noise each time they approach. Others won't care of course. I have also had our fountain run without a filter. If your cleaning regularly; that's probably ok to do.
I was thinking of it as a DIY project where I hook it up a motion sensor to an electric socket. Hence when the cat walks into her room it turns on and keep it turned on for a while on when the cat approaches. and it should stay on for a long period of time. the motor is actually very silent when the water level is half full. it only starts making noise when the water level drops.
again it was just an idea that popped into my head that i thought it would be cool to try out.
but water fountains if your cat drinks from it, so worth it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was thinking of it as a DIY project where I hook it up a motion sensor to an electric socket. Hence when the cat walks into her room it turns on and keep it turned on for a while on when the cat approaches. and it should stay on for a long period of time. the motor is actually very silent when the water level is half full. it only starts making noise when the water level drops.
again it was just an idea that popped into my head that i thought it would be cool to try out.
but water fountains if your cat drinks from it, so worth it.
It sounds like the sort of project my Grandfather would have done. I've inherited a few modified tools and their house evidence of his projects all over. :)