Does anyone foster in an apartment or house with pet fees? How do you handle it?

kisscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll be forstering a cat for several months starting this week. He's a grey tabby boy. I'm pretty sure that he's fixed at 2 years of age. The family is in a dire situation and doesn't want to abandon him, but can't care for him for a while.

This would be my first foster, and I live in an apartment with pet fees and pet rent. I'm not sure whether or when I should tell them about the cat. The fees are a little expensive but I could afford them in a few weeks. My question is does anyone else foster in this situation, and do you tell your landlord? Would the landlord or management company understand?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I live in an apartment with pet fees, but no pet rent and although I have not fostered, I wanted to comment.  If you bring a cat in to your apartment without letting the management know and they find out, they may evict you or make you get rid of the cat.  Not all landlords are this harsh - I had one who looked the other way when I had three cats despite a two cat policy, but not all love cats the way this guy did.  This is assuming they find out, of course, and if you have any kind of maintenance emergency, that may very well happen.  I think you should discuss this with your landlord and ask him or her if you can pay the pet charges in a few weeks when you can afford them, including a retroactive payment for the intervening weeks.

I know you want to help this cat out, and I would be tempted to secretly bring a cat in need into my apartment also, so I completely understand your dilemma here.   Are you fostering through a rescue and can they help you with the charges temporarily? 

Good luck with this.  I really hope it works out.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's best to be upfront. And make sure the cat is neutered. Most laws/leases give the landlord the right to give you written notice to comply or move. That's the worst case. Most landlords loath losing tenants that pay on time and are good stewards of their property.  If they say no it gives you insight into how they would react finding out you had a pet.

I don't think a rescue that finds hosts to foster would allow someone to take a cat or kittens without landlord approval.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kisscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The owner of the cat got in touch yesterday. He looks like a well cared for kitty, and I'll confirm that he's up to date on medical care and neutered. I'll be picking him up Tuesday, so I can take tomorrow to talk to the complex.

It's not exactly through the shelter. The woman who runs it is a really reliable resource for cat rescues/needs in the area, so I think someone reached out to her about their situation, and she reached out to me. Either way, I'm not sure they can help financially. It's a very small operation.

I guess the best I can do is call them and see if they can add the fee and any prorated rent to next months payment.  Thanks!