Does Anyone Feed Cheap Kibble And Spend More On Wet Food?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree on cat genetics playing an equal or greater role in health than food. I saw that myself with Trin ballooning on the corn-kibble and Gohan staying perfect. Some cats process things better.

i feed okay wet food (petcurean go, sometimes fancy feast classic pate)
Not to derail the conversation, but I actually consider the Petcurrean Go Fit + Free line to be pretty good food. The gums are at the bottom of the ingredients, and while there are way too many fruits and veggies (and cottage cheese!?), the top 8 ingredients are meat or meat broths. Also it is very highly rated on catfooddb.com and the composition of 55% protein/36% fat/5% carbs is close to ideal. I just fed Olive a sample can and she loved it so I plan on adding it to the rotation.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my gracious sakes, 38, that's incredible!!
I don't think I'll have that with my poppy-cat but I keep whispering in his ear every time I hear about this kind of thing :)

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right!? And that same owner had another cat who lived for around 34 years. And I believe that cat was Creme Puff's family so there's some shared genetics going on. When I found out, I was telling my cat that hopefully he'll live that ripe old age too and he just meowed back like "that's too long, child" lol

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not to derail the conversation, but I actually consider the Petcurrean Go Fit + Free line to be pretty good food. The gums are at the bottom of the ingredients, and while there are way too many fruits and veggies (and cottage cheese!?), the top 8 ingredients are meat or meat broths. Also it is very highly rated on catfooddb.com and the composition of 55% protein/36% fat/5% carbs is close to ideal. I just fed Olive a sample can and she loved it so I plan on adding it to the rotation.
oh yeah thats definitely the best one im feeding right now, i consider FF classicpate to be the "okay" one but she got way too addicted and a lady who feeds stray cats told me that the sodium content in FF was too high (i dont know if this is true). however FF had pretty high phos content so i decided to add just a bit of petcurean go... the queen her highness herself loved it and it replaced FF immediately lol. its beyond my budget so i try to put in FF every few days.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
After trying almost all the mid-grade kibbles, I've settled on Purina One and Purina Beyond. I've had the best results with those, even if they aren't "the best".

All things considered, I think Beyond's ingredients are pretty decent. They have a grain-free version if you prefer. The weird thing is that it's a lot cheaper online than from the store, even Walmart. I'm not sure what's up with that.
Which Purina One have you used? They have a few different varieties-a grain free version, indoor, uninary health, weight control, adult, etc.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've raised many healthy kittens on Purina One kitten, because it's easy to get and not too expensive so I can recommend it to any new owners.

For the older cats I just use the chicken adult kind. Of One and Beyond.