Does anyone ever feel guilty about keeping semi ferals inside?

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had my semi feral cat for about a year and a half now. She does not let me pet her and she is not really social with my other cats but she essentially does everything my other cats do... she'll lay in the window in her bed, she explores the house, she plays a bit and sleeps comfortably sprawled out on her back half the time. She really has never showed any signs of wanting to go back out. Now that the weather has been nicer Ive been opening the screened in windows for some fresh air and for the first time I saw her jumping on the window crying. It broke my heart to see her trying to get out since I've never seen her do anything like this before. Part of me has always wondered if taking her in was the right thing to do. I know it's unsafe outside with cars and mean people and various other threats. But sometimes when I see other outside cats they look like they're playing and enjoying themselves and I wonder if I did the right thing. Does anyone else ever feel that way? And should I not open the windows for her anymore? I'm not sure if that is like teasing her with a little taste of the outside

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
My guess is that she saw another cat, or even a bird that seriously caught her interest, rather than meowing to express a desire to go out.

Do you have a yard where you could build an enclosure? Would you be interested in training her to walk in a harness with a leash?

If not, please consider leaving windows open. The smells and sounds provide mental stimulation that's invaluable.

Those threats include illness, injury, starvation, etal. I've often read that many ferals never ever want back outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response I certainly hope you are correct and it was a bird or something that she saw. Out of all my cats she is the one I worry about the least when it comes to them running out the door, she has been in front of the open door many times and makes no attempt to go anywhere. I am not able to handle her so id never be able to get the harness on her but I certainly would leave the windows open for her. Although she is free to go anywhere in the house she has her own room which has an egress window with a gate on top she could go out into without getting loose I just wasn't sure if that would be mean or make her desire to go out worse if she had any inkling to. I ultimately just want her to have a happy comfortable life. She is the first semi feral cat I've had and is very different from my other cats so sometimes im not sure what the right thing for her is

Christykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a semi feral that I took in about 3 months ago when she gave birth on my doorstep. I had been feeding her and petting her here and there for at least a year at that point. I can't handle her either but she acts similar to your cat. I'm still working on training her to go in the carrier so I can get her spayed. My momma cat meows at the window a lot but I think spaying her will help.

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a semi feral that I took in about 3 months ago when she gave birth on my doorstep. I had been feeding her and petting her here and there for at least a year at that point. I can't handle her either but she acts similar to your cat. I'm still working on training her to go in the carrier so I can get her spayed. My momma cat meows at the window a lot but I think spaying her will help.

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you leave the carrier open in the room where she stays? I do that with my girl and thankfully she's grown to like the carrier she uses it as a cat cave basically so so far I've been lucky when I've had to take her to the vet because she runs in there by choice

Christykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you leave the carrier open in the room where she stays? I do that with my girl and thankfully she's grown to like the carrier she uses it as a cat cave basically so so far I've been lucky when I've had to take her to the vet because she runs in there by choice
I just started with the carrier training so not much is happening but I leave it out and put treats in there. She explores and smells it so far. That's awesome that your kitty goes in the carrier without hesitation!

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just started with the carrier training so not much is happening but I leave it out and put treats in there. She explores and smells it so far. That's awesome that your kitty goes in the carrier without hesitation

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It definitely helps when its time to go to the vet I have no idea what I would do otherwise lol its hard enough getting my other cats who I can pick up and handle into the carrier sometimes

Christykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It definitely helps when its time to go to the vet I have no idea what I would do otherwise lol its hard enough getting my other cats who I can pick up and handle into the carrier sometimes
I had a mobile vet come out for her and the kittens. I love the mobile vet but he doesn't spay/neuter. My semi feral did have to get sedated for the vet. She got too scared even while on gabapentin.

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The mobile vet comes into your house to take care of them?

Christykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The mobile vet comes into your house to take care of them?
Yes! It's wonderful. They can do basic vet care- check up, weight check, vaccines, rabies vaccine, blood tests, fecal test, prescribe medicine, etc. The mobile vet I found cannot do surgeries or x-rays and isn't an emergency vet but does everything else. It's great and has been ideal for my nursing semi feral stray.

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow that sounds amazing I didn't realize they had that I am definitely going to look into that in my area!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have brought in a lot of ferals, semi ferals and traumatized strays. Stick to your routines. Please hang in there. They do need a lot of time to adjust but they do. A catio is a great choice if you can do that. Putting mesh hardware over window screen keeps them from scratching through the screen to get out. Vinyl lattice works well for me too. You are keeping them safe! Please continue. Keeping the carrier out is great! All of the cats here love their carriers now. They use them as private bedrooms and any traveling means they always have their own safe sanctuary with them.
Mobile vets are great. Our vet just started doing this and I got all 29 immunized and wellness checked in one day! Yay! For serious health issues I still have to leave home but for general care, mobile is great! D DB89014 and C Christykitty Keep up the great work! :clap2::heartshape: