Does anyone else's cat LOVE fireworks?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin, close to the lakefront, where our music festival Summerfest happens. There are fireworks throughout Summerfest and for lots of other events downtown, which my apartment window has a clear view of.

My cat, Willy, LOVES them, despite the fact that we are so close, they rattle the windows and shake the floor. He never gets scared, but instead watches the entire show intently.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're all great pics but I love the third one. 🎆
That's my favorite one, too.
Our July 4th show can last as long as 45 minutes, and it gets really intense. Especially during the rapid-fire finale. Like I can feel the floor shaking under my feet. But he sits there at the window and just stares intently. It's so funny.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We can see 4th of July fireworks from our spare bedroom and our cat watches too. I'm not sure if he likes them or just wants to be in the room with us. :dunno:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a unique cat! My angel Poppycat wasn't thrilled with them but not freaked out by the noise, booms and shakes. I have yet to find out what Captain Jack thinks - from some reactions to things that I've seen so far, he might not be very happy.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He actually runs to his cat tree (which is right in front of the window with the best view) and leaps up onto it when the first boom starts, if he is in another area of my apartment at the time. He genuinely loves them.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love this! I wish more cats could be so calm cool and collected about massive noise LOL
He is unique in multiple ways, LOL. I rescued him from outside and he bonded with me (to the point of separation anxiety, which we worked on over the last few years) and he lived in the downtown area of a major city for most of his life, so he may have gotten used to loud noises from the start.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Patches love's them too sits watching on bonfire night and new year's out of the bedroom window , even runs to the window to see. Bandit my other cat hates them poor cat goes into panic mode and hides.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I had no idea there were cats like this :happycat:
I actually just recently heard from another cat owner who has a cat like this. But her cat has advanced hearing loss. He isn't deaf, but just hard of hearing.

She thinks that because he can't hear the full blast, he is enjoying the light show more.

Willy's hearing is still just fine, I haven't noticed any decline in 8 years.

Furrywurrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I may not be popular for saying this but I’m actually in the pyrotechnic industry, please don’t anyone hate on me. We provide stage pyrotechnics for concerts, performances etc. I’ve never had a cat that’s afraid of fireworks. Our cats are fully indoors and we introduce them to low noise stuff early on in their lives they sit and watch the colours and things and we increase the noise level to the point where they are used to everything. We don’t do fireworks personally but I do have access to things to be able to desensitise them early on in life because like it or not they are going to encounter these noises. I’d rather do what I can to stop them from suffering later on in life. But yes 100% I’ve had cats that actually really enjoy watching fireworks.