Does Anyone Else Have Experience With This Problem....kitty With Fluid Around Lungs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HELP!! I brought him home today. On the ride home, he seemed to be doing well - his old self. I just let him out of the carrier, and he immediately went under the bed. The Lasix should be making him pee alot, and he should be hungry since he was stressed out at the noisy animal hospital and didn't eat much. I finally put him in a playpen, I guess you'd call it, really spacious and nice, with a bed, litter box, food. He hates being separated but did seem to be eating and drinking while out freely. Any suggestions? I don't want to stress him out. Do you think isolating him like this so I can observe his eating and litter habits is the right thing to do? His little buddies are confused.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HELP!! I brought him home today. On the ride home, he seemed to be doing well - his old self. I just let him out of the carrier, and he immediately went under the bed. The Lasix should be making him pee alot, and he should be hungry since he was stressed out at the noisy animal hospital and didn't eat much. I finally put him in a playpen, I guess you'd call it, really spacious and nice, with a bed, litter box, food. He hates being separated but did seem to be eating and drinking while out freely. Any suggestions? I don't want to stress him out. Do you think isolating him like this so I can observe his eating and litter habits is the right thing to do? His little buddies are confused.
Hi there! sorry to hear about ur kitty!
Did the blood tests show any elevated white blood cells or did the dr mention anyfhinf about an infection?

My cat louie has heart disease and builds up fluid in his lungs. He takes 3 tablets of lasix daily

Please have ur vet rule out heart disease, as this can cause labored difficulty breathing and fluid build up.

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! sorry to hear about ur kitty!
Did the blood tests show any elevated white blood cells or did the dr mention anyfhinf about an infection?

My cat louie has heart disease and builds up fluid in his lungs. He takes 3 tablets of lasix daily

Please have ur vet rule out heart disease, as this can cause labored difficulty breathing and fluid build up.
Thank you. He seems to be acting like his old self more that he's home, drinking a bit, and using the litter box, but it seems no food seems to entice him. He hasn't been home 24 hours yet. Am I getting impatient? I called the vet, and they said I could try an appetite stimulant. Does anyone have any experiences with appetite stimulants for cats? Thanks! SheilaB

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used an appetite stimulant with 2 of our cats. I honestly don't know if they worked in our case but I do know of many others on this site who have used them with success. Mirtazapine seems to be the go to med for it. It is an anti-depressant in humans, but the side effect for cats is it stimulates their appetite.
For both my cats the dosage was a 1/4 pill, once, every three days.

Also, when we first brought Hank home after having his chest drained, the first time, it did take 24-36 hours or so before he showed any interest in food. And it took a few days before he was eating a decent amount. We did not use a stimulant that time. The second time he hardly ate at all, but that was shortly before he passed away, so I don't think any amount of appetite stimulant would have helped him, even though we did try it.

Try to offer him his favorite things to help entice him to eat, tuna water over wet food, bits of tuna, forti flora, all meat baby food (no onion or garlic), plain turkey deli meat, cat treats, etc....
You can also smear just a bit of wet food under his cheek for him to lick up. The taste of it might encourage him to eat a bit more on his own.
Hand/finger feeding also seems to work on getting a kitty to eat.
You could even try to put his food on a FLAT PAPER PLATE instead of his regular cat dish. I have NO idea why this works but it does for several kitties.

I'm sure others will be along shortly to give you other tips.

:heartshape:

:hangin:

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We used an appetite stimulant with 2 of our cats. I honestly don't know if they worked in our case but I do know of many others on this site who have used them with success. Mirtazapine seems to be the go to med for it. It is an anti-depressant in humans, but the side effect for cats is it stimulates their appetite.
For both my cats the dosage was a 1/4 pill, once, every three days.

Also, when we first brought Hank home after having his chest drained, the first time, it did take 24-36 hours or so before he showed any interest in food. And it took a few days before he was eating a decent amount. We did not use a stimulant that time. The second time he hardly ate at all, but that was shortly before he passed away, so I don't think any amount of appetite stimulant would have helped him, even though we did try it.

Try to offer him his favorite things to help entice him to eat, tuna water over wet food, bits of tuna, forti flora, all meat baby food (no onion or garlic), plain turkey deli meat, cat treats, etc....
You can also smear just a bit of wet food under his cheek for him to lick up. The taste of it might encourage him to eat a bit more on his own.
Hand/finger feeding also seems to work on getting a kitty to eat.
You could even try to put his food on a FLAT PAPER PLATE instead of his regular cat dish. I have NO idea why this works but it does for several kitties.

I'm sure others will be along shortly to give you other tips.

:heartshape:

:hangin:
Thank you! Thank you! You gave me a wealth of information! He hasn't been home for 24 hours, so maybe I'm being impatient. I'll try your suggestions. SheilaB.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The stimulation that were given for WL were hit and miss.

A wonder user here @Furballsmom gave me a great list of things to try when I had trouble getting Charlie to eat. Maybe one on her list here can help you too:

Charlie: The Food Trial Diaries (ibd / Food Allergy (sensitivity) Or Stress)

Did they give you an indication of what is going on with him?

How are O'Henry and you doing today?
I am giving O'Henry the appetite stimulant and finger feeding. He seems to like - or not mind it - for now. It's just O'Henry and I. I feed him, praise him, brush him, which he's always loved. He still secludes himself but is venturing out more and more. I woke up several times during the night and, I swear, I saw him tip-toeing around the bedroom. He was at the hospital for 2 full days, and it was quite noisy with all the dogs in the ER. He's never been around dogs!. Thank you for the list of feeding ideas. I'll try some more ideas to keep him interested! Thanks so much!

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there S SheilaB welcome the site! I'm sorry that this is what brought you here. XOXOXO

Any chance he got into something? (What's his name?) Even an indoor plant etc.

Are they an outdoor/indoor kitty or strictly indoors?

One of my Retired Ferals was brought inside for that very reason. As it turned out some well-meaning neighbors were trying to chase off the local skunk (we call her Penelope - yes we've named the skunk and her whole family) and WL got into their Chemical warfare by accident. It was a lovely mixture of Ammonia, bleach, Apple cider vinegar, mothballs and a host of other stuff. This caused the lungs to have fluid, her breathing was awful. She was so, so sick.

She's recovered after a lot of care, worry, sleepless nights and crying. Needless to say, she is indoors only now.

Sending you and kitty big hugs, healing vibes and love. :vibes::vibes::vibes::heartshape:
I keep searching the house, wondering if there is something hazardous, something toxic he could have gotten into. I really try to be careful of such things around the house. Then I even gotten to thinking.....The "kittens" - one year old now - could they have been playing really roughly? Did something happen when I was at work? I'm really grasping at anything. Like I said, O'Henry has always been the picture of health. They sent him home with Clavamox. Would they have done this is they didn't suspect that an infection was a possibility?

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So they believe it to be infectious? Not heart related?
They seem to have ruled out heart problems - I think. Do you think a cat can have pneumonia for some time and you don't even know it? I keep thinking.....Have I missed something? Just last week, I think he was acting like he normally does. Still no word on the pathology of the lung fluid.

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New to forum. I would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem. I took my 10 year old kitty to the vet today. He was withdrawn, not eating, drinking much, if at all, lethargic, plus at times I noticed on his sides that his breathing was labored. As I said, I took him to a regular vet....Most things checked out, but he was concerened about the labored breathing, so he took an x-ray which showed, HE said fluid in the lungs (Later, I found at the emergency vet that it is fluid AROUND the lungs.) Basically the first vet said, I'm sorry for the bad news. He gave him Lasik, an antibiotic, and a steroid and said to bring him back tomorrow. I went home and called other vets who both referred me to an emergency vet for advanced tests, which I did. He also found fluid around the lungs and is keeping him overnight - likely longer. They are taking the fluid off, and he's on oxygen. Last week he was playing with my younger "kids", active, normal. It came on suddenly. His sides showed labored breathing, but his was not coughing or breathing with an open mouth or anything. He seemed alert - watchful - and wasn't crying. Sorry to ramble, but this is the first time he's been apart from me. Does anyone else have any experience with fluid around the lungs, pulmonary problems, etc.? It would help immensely talking to someone else who has experienced this with their kitty. Thank you.
My sweet baby has cancer. They called with the pathology reports to day. Her recommendation is to spend time with him, keep him comfortable until he's not. A friend suggested I try holistic supplements - Carnivora? Does anyone know about this supplement? It is all just so unreal.....

Last edited by a moderator:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*hugs you* I am so sorry you guys got that news today. Not the news anyone wants. XOXOXOXOXOXO I was so hoping it was something simply that he would bounce back fast with.

I don't know much about those supplements, someone else might though.

I wanted to hug you both though.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sweet baby has cancer. They called with the pathology reports to day. Her recommendation is to spend time with him, keep him comfortable until he's not. A friend suggested I try holistic supplements - Carnivora? Does anyone know about this supplement? It is all just so unreal.....
I am so sorry!!! :(
May I ask you where the cancer is located? In his chest? In one of his lungs?

My cat never improved from her fluids issue, she died 366 days after the day the vets found that fluid around her lungs. But the cause of death was more a liver failure.
The last time she was drained was the day before she died, and I think it might have been a trigger factor... There a few things that I won't ever forgive myself for about her death. And one could be that draining...

The cat was cremated. It is possible that eventually my cat had a cancer too, but all the scans done on the days before her death never revealed anything. Despite this, I am quite sure she had a cancer.

I'm sorry for you and your cat! :(