Does Anyone Else Have Experience With This Problem....kitty With Fluid Around Lungs

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New to forum. I would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem. I took my 10 year old kitty to the vet today. He was withdrawn, not eating, drinking much, if at all, lethargic, plus at times I noticed on his sides that his breathing was labored. As I said, I took him to a regular vet....Most things checked out, but he was concerened about the labored breathing, so he took an x-ray which showed, HE said fluid in the lungs (Later, I found at the emergency vet that it is fluid AROUND the lungs.) Basically the first vet said, I'm sorry for the bad news. He gave him Lasik, an antibiotic, and a steroid and said to bring him back tomorrow. I went home and called other vets who both referred me to an emergency vet for advanced tests, which I did. He also found fluid around the lungs and is keeping him overnight - likely longer. They are taking the fluid off, and he's on oxygen. Last week he was playing with my younger "kids", active, normal. It came on suddenly. His sides showed labored breathing, but his was not coughing or breathing with an open mouth or anything. He seemed alert - watchful - and wasn't crying. Sorry to ramble, but this is the first time he's been apart from me. Does anyone else have any experience with fluid around the lungs, pulmonary problems, etc.? It would help immensely talking to someone else who has experienced this with their kitty. Thank you.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Does anyone else have any experience with fluid around the lungs, pulmonary problems, etc.? It would help immensely talking to someone else who has experienced this with their kitty. Thank you.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Please :hangin: on in there for awhile to have your questions answered as we have members all around the world and in different time zones and someone who have experience with what your kitty is going through may be able to help answer your questions :thumbsup:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have personal experience but recently I saw a case like this shared on a vet clinic's Instagram account. They are not sure of the exact reason but it's physical trauma -- a car hitting the chest, the falling down on his chest... like something that hit the chest. They did a "before and after" videos and the cat was all good and energetic after the treatment.

There must be more than one reasons and kinds of "fluid in the chest", it would be the best to discuss with his vet in details. But fluid in the chest isn't all automatically fatal nor a sign of serious illness.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!

I had a cat who suddenly showed fluid in her chest, around her lungs, more present around her left lung.
We discovered it by chance, during a visit for a totally different issue.

The cat was drained a few weeks later (the fluid they found on that visit was very little), but after that she had to be drained again, and again.

She was put on a diuretic and cortisone, but they didn't help. On the contrary, the diuretic gave her temporary kidney issues, she became a little dehydrated.
Several visits later, with different vets at different facilities, even at the Veterinary University, we didn't know what caused that.
What we knew, though, was that the fluid was building back quite rapidly after each drainage, in about 5 days.

So, the vet would drain 120-140 ml each time, and less than a week later we were back to square one.
We also found that once that the fluid would reach that amount, it wouldn't grow further, so we decided not to drain her again.
Despite the huge amount of fluid (huge, if you compare that amount to a cat's chest size), the cat didn't show any symptom of difficult breathing or else.
X-rays and US scan revealed that one of her lungs had reduced in size, as it was collapsed. This situation is called Atelectasis.

I also remember that every time the cat was drained, she had a troubled breathing for a couple of days.

We never got to the solution or the explanation of this issue, and the cat never needed to be hospitalized.

There is more about her problem here
Fluid In Cat's Chest - Advice Needed

Hope it can help a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!

I had a cat who suddenly showed fluid in her chest, around her lungs, more present around her left lung.

The cat was drained a few weeks later (the fluid they found on that visit was very little), but after that she had to be drained again, and again.

She was put on a diuretic and cortisone, but they didn't help. On the contrary, the diuretic gave her temporary kidney issues, she became a little dehydrated.
Several visits later, with different vets at different facilities, even at the Veterinary University, we didn't know what caused that.
What we knew, though, was that the fluid was building back quite rapidly after each drainage, in about 5 days.

So, the vet would drain 120-140 ml each time, and less than a week later we were back to square one.
We also found that once that the fluid would reach that amount, it wouldn't grow further, so we decided not to drain her again.
Despite the huge amount of fluid (huge, if you compare that amount to a cat's chest size), the cat didn't show any symptom of difficult breathing or else.
X-rays and US scan revealed that one of her lungs had reduced in size, as it was collapsed. This situation is called Atelectasis.

I also remember that every time the cat was drained, she had a troubled breathing for a couple of days.

We never got to the solution or the explanation of this issue, and the cat never needed to be hospitalized.

Hope it can help a bit.
Thank you so much. Yes, any info is very, very helpful. I am sick with worry. I called late last night, and the assistant said he was doing well. I've never been apart from him before.

Last edited by a moderator:

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!

Hope it can help a bit.
I don't have personal experience but recently I saw a case like this shared on a vet clinic's Instagram account. They are not sure of the exact reason but it's physical trauma -- a car hitting the chest, the falling down on his chest... like something that hit the chest. They did a "before and after" videos and the cat was all good and energetic after the treatment.

There must be more than one reasons and kinds of "fluid in the chest", it would be the best to discuss with his vet in details. But fluid in the chest isn't all automatically fatal nor a sign of serious illness.

Thank you so much for all your info. I have never experienced this with any of the cats who owned me throughout the years. I miss my baby so much.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there S SheilaB welcome the site! I'm sorry that this is what brought you here. XOXOXO

Any chance he got into something? (What's his name?) Even an indoor plant etc.

Are they an outdoor/indoor kitty or strictly indoors?

One of my Retired Ferals was brought inside for that very reason. As it turned out some well-meaning neighbors were trying to chase off the local skunk (we call her Penelope - yes we've named the skunk and her whole family) and WL got into their Chemical warfare by accident. It was a lovely mixture of Ammonia, bleach, Apple cider vinegar, mothballs and a host of other stuff. This caused the lungs to have fluid, her breathing was awful. She was so, so sick.

She's recovered after a lot of care, worry, sleepless nights and crying. Needless to say, she is indoors only now.

Sending you and kitty big hugs, healing vibes and love. :vibes::vibes::vibes::heartshape:

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Please :hangin: on in there for awhile to have your questions answered as we have members all around the world and in different time zones and someone who have experience with what your kitty is going through may be able to help answer your questions :thumbsup:
Thank you for your welcome. I am getting some very helpful replies.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi SheilaB and welcome to the forum !

Is there a chance that you missed these questions:
Any chance he got into something? (What's his name?) Even an indoor plant etc.

Are they an outdoor/indoor kitty or strictly indoors?

Answers to those might offer some insight.....

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
New to forum. I would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem. I took my 10 year old kitty to the vet today. He was withdrawn, not eating, drinking much, if at all, lethargic, plus at times I noticed on his sides that his breathing was labored. As I said, I took him to a regular vet....Most things checked out, but he was concerened about the labored breathing, so he took an x-ray which showed, HE said fluid in the lungs (Later, I found at the emergency vet that it is fluid AROUND the lungs.) Basically the first vet said, I'm sorry for the bad news. He gave him Lasik, an antibiotic, and a steroid and said to bring him back tomorrow. I went home and called other vets who both referred me to an emergency vet for advanced tests, which I did. He also found fluid around the lungs and is keeping him overnight - likely longer. They are taking the fluid off, and he's on oxygen. Last week he was playing with my younger "kids", active, normal. It came on suddenly. His sides showed labored breathing, but his was not coughing or breathing with an open mouth or anything. He seemed alert - watchful - and wasn't crying. Sorry to ramble, but this is the first time he's been apart from me. Does anyone else have any experience with fluid around the lungs, pulmonary problems, etc.? It would help immensely talking to someone else who has experienced this with their kitty. Thank you.
Welcome. ...n hope ure kitty gets along ok....I don't have any experience with what ure asking..but I just wanted to welcome u n ure kitty or kitties to the site..:welcomesign::heartshape::goodluck::catrub::petcat::alright::vibes:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have experience with fluid in the chest, due to my Hank having had congestive heart failure.
Are the vets checking your kitty's heart?
We had his chest drained twice and he would bounce back pretty good after getting the fluid removed, but it would come back. We had him on 7 different medications to try and kick start his heart but unfortunately, he threw a blood clot that we were not able to treat, and so we had to put him down 3 months after diagnosis.
The diuretics did not work well for Hank, because the fluid he retained was very "cellular", It wasn't just "water".
I know my story is not the best news, I hope your kitty has a better outcome than Hank.

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd like to thank everyone for their thoughts and experiences. They drained the fluid from O'Henry's lungs today, then send sample to the pathologist. They are supposed to be doing an electrocardiogram. The vet said he might be able to go home tomorrow. Several people there said he's been handling all the tests well and that he's a very good natured cat. I know! He's a sweetheart! His buddies at home - 4 kids from the same litter and a year old this month - miss him. They all get along fabulously! We miss the big boy......

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just need to "vent" before I retire for the night. I called about O'Henry. He may or may not come home tomorrow. The ultrasound showed a partially collapsed lung now. When they send him home, he will have to take Lasix and an antibiotic. Still waiting on lab results of fluid on lungs. Blood tests showed "nothing remarkable". I have his reports thus far. I wish someone could interpret them for me in a way I can understand. I can't stop beating myself over this again.....I go over the woulda, coulda, shouldas. Why didn't I notice something earlier? Could I have prevented this condition? Why does he appear so healthy and now this? I just don't know....I'm feeling so....guilty, maybe? I try to be a good cat mom. I just wish I could keep them all healthy. They are my everything. I'll stop there....I could ramble on. Thanks for listening.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't beat yourself up. :grouphug2:

Cats are masters at hiding things and masters at getting into things they shouldn't, or suddenly getting sick when the day before they were playing and appearing perfectly fine.

I know with WL I delayed the vet as at first it appeared a normal kitty cold. I didn't clue into what the neighbors had been doing until she had a breathing fit that scared me into utter panic 24/48 hours later. When I figured it out - I felt terrible - and then I realized that guilt does no good and focused all my energy on trying to get her healthy again.

You did your job as a cat mom perfectly. You saw something was really wrong and you got O'Henry to the doctor. So you are an awesome cat mom!!! :bouquet:

We can only do what we can do. We can try to keep them healthy as best as we can.

Sending you good thoughts and energy for his safe and happy homecoming. :vibes::vibes::vibes::heartshape::heartshape:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go over the woulda, coulda, shouldas. Why didn't I notice something earlier?
As hard as it is, please don't blame yourself or feel you didn't do something you should have. You HAVE been doing everything you can. Cats are REALLY good at hiding their issues, so try not to do the woulda/coulda game.
Easier said than done.... I know.
When Hank got sick, he displayed some lethargy and heavy breathing, but because we were in the middle of a heat wave, and ALL the cats were acting the same, it went unnoticed, until the heat wave was done and our other two perked back up, just not Hank. So off to the vet....Would he have survived if I had brought him in sooner? Would the meds have worked? Would he have gotten the clot had we treated it sooner? Would his heart have not been as damaged? Did we make the right decisions all along the way? Who knows.... But I do feel confident that we did our very best, even though the outcome was not.

We did what we could with the information we had. And that's all anyone can expect someone to do. You're doing a great job, and I know O'Henry appreciates the loving home you are giving him. Your vet/team sound like they are doing good by him and trying to get to the bottom of this as well, so that's great to have a team who cares. He might not be home right now, but he's in good hands. Would your vet allow you to go visit him? Bring him his favorite blanket or something, it might give him a little "pick me up".

Not that it replaces a vets diagnosis, but perhaps you could post the lab work on here? There are several members here who are well versed in understanding blood work results. And you can always get your vet to explain to you the blood work and what it means.

Keep up the good work!:heartshape: And I'm sending good vibes for O'Henry's recovery !:vibes:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ultrasound showed a partially collapsed lung now.
This is exactly what happened to my cat.
In my case the lung never recovered and became partially useless.

I can't stop beating myself over this again.....I go over the woulda, coulda, shouldas. Why didn't I notice something earlier? Could I have prevented this condition? Why does he appear so healthy and now this?
Don't blame yourself, you didn't act before before, because you saw nothing to be concerned of.
As I told you, in my case we saw what my cat had only because the vets were running a scan for a totally different purpose.
I could have not realized of it, and the cat was fine and without symptoms, how could I have seen something with no symptoms?

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As hard as it is, please don't blame yourself or feel you didn't do something you should have. You HAVE been doing everything you can. Cats are REALLY good at hiding their issues, so try not to do the woulda/coulda game.
Easier said than done.... I know.
When Hank got sick, he displayed some lethargy and heavy breathing, but because we were in the middle of a heat wave, and ALL the cats were acting the same, it went unnoticed, until the heat wave was done and our other two perked back up, just not Hank. So off to the vet....Would he have survived if I had brought him in sooner? Would the meds have worked? Would he have gotten the clot had we treated it sooner? Would his heart have not been as damaged? Did we make the right decisions all along the way? Who knows.... But I do feel confident that we did our very best, even though the outcome was not.

We did what we could with the information we had. And that's all anyone can expect someone to do. You're doing a great job, and I know O'Henry appreciates the loving home you are giving him. Your vet/team sound like they are doing good by him and trying to get to the bottom of this as well, so that's great to have a team who cares. He might not be home right now, but he's in good hands. Would your vet allow you to go visit him? Bring him his favorite blanket or something, it might give him a little "pick me up".

Not that it replaces a vets diagnosis, but perhaps you could post the lab work on here? There are several members here who are well versed in understanding blood work results. And you can always get your vet to explain to you the blood work and what it means.

Keep up the good work!:heartshape: And I'm sending good vibes for O'Henry's recovery !:vibes:
Thanks...I needed that. The vet called just a bit ago, and I'll pick him up by 3:00. They have him on Lasix and an antibiotic. I'd love to have someone here take a look at the blood work and other reports thus far. How do I do that? Thanks for your kind words....SheilaB

Last edited by a moderator: