Does anyone else have a guard cat?

kitkat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Samson, seems to believe his duty is to cuddle and guard me. I absolutely adore it but I was wondering if anyone else has a cat like this. There are a few things he does
1. Whenever I'm in a room with the door shut he meows until I let him in and seems to give me another reprimand meow when I let him in. If I don't let him in, he sits outside the door hunched up facing out like he's guarding it.

2. If I'm in a room with the door open but I'm doing something, he'll sit in the door way all crouched and attentive as if he's guarding the door.
3. When I get out of bed in the morning he seems to have to run to the door  before I get there and look around, then when I step out of the room he has to run right in front or sometimes between my legs which usually results in either me tripping or accidentally kicking him (lightly, I swear)

Does anyone else have a guard cat?

agentspooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never had a cat who seemed quite so protective, but your cat Samson sounds very sweet and like he's really attached to you. :)

I have one cat who is sort of the "protector of the house", she's a little guardian to some extent, but she doesn't go to the lengths of Mr. Samson. Do you have any other cats? Does he get along with them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That sounds cute :) I also think Samson is pretty attached to me, he started sleeping with me just a few days after we adopted him. We adopted a female cat a little over a month ago and they get along great! Though they really like to play the second my husband and I try to go to bed. He does get a little upset when Macy crawls into my lap but I make sure to give him extra attention because I'm just as attached to him.

Last edited:

bentliy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pouty likes to sleep on my pillow without fail every night; I have asthma and often it kicks up in my sleep. Sometimes he'll wake me up. :) Feels so much safer knowing he's there.

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sleep with a fan and if someone pulls in driveway or knocks on door she will come and get me and meow,a strange meow,something i know that isnt right,she is my guard kitty!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine will run away from the door to me, growling and looking back.  If they are on the bed, heads will pop up and point in the direction the sound is coming from.

dirkmaster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do indeed. His name is Ebony, he's a jet black feral cat who's mother left him on the doorstep of my work. He is absolutely attached to my youngest son Parker. He cries when Parker leaves for school, cries when he is late coming home. He cries outside the door if Parker kicks him out of his room for being a pest, and won't stop until someone lets him in to the room. They sleep together every night, and he exhibits all the "Guard cat" behavior you describe. In my 50 years of owning cats, I've never seen a cat so dog-like as Ebony. And he doesn't dislike children. In fact, he prefers kids to adults. Very odd behavior, but quite endearing.

vivisect

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is a sorta old thread, but I just found it because I was wondering if anyone else has a guard cat.
A few years ago around Thanksgiving we had a kitten start coming around the house. She was so friendly and soft! About a week went by and it got super cold out and she was on our back porch and it was late at night so I decided to bring her in, even though I already had 4 cats at the time. She integrated quickly, I got her fixed and she's been attached to me ever since.
She immediately acquired a spot on the bed by my feet, and when my other cats were in her spot she would growl until they would move. Then I noticed that she was always guarding me. If I am cleaning in the kitchen she lays down behind me with her back to me, like she's watching my back. When I'm on the couch she curls up behind my head. She has a spot on my computer desk where she watches me, sometimes she sits on the arm of my chair to watch me work. In the bathroom she either gets in my lap, or stands on the sink when I'm using it, or lays down with her back to me while facing the door. If she tries to wake me and I pull the sheets over my face, she paws at the sheet until I uncover my face.
Her behavior is so consistent that I thought about making a video compilation lol. Her name is Kaylee and I love her to bits.
Kitkat89, Samson sounds awesome :) it feels wonderful to have a guard cat!

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have a part-time guard cat. 
 90% of the time or even 95% of the time, when I go to use the bathroom, my cat will get up and follow me, even if she was sleeping. She used to come inside the bathroom and look around as if doing a patrol check to make sure no critters came in or were hiding. She'd examine the crack where the floor meets the wall and do a walk-through, peering under the sink stand before then taking up her post outside the bathroom door with her back facing me as if she's on "lookout". She still does this sometimes. Other times, she just sits outside the door on "lookout". If I take too long, she eventually gives up her post, otherwise she waits until I'm done, then races off like she's afraid I'll hurt her when I'm exiting the bathroom. I live alone, so I don't close the door...it's not to look at the water either because I keep the toilet lid down and she's not inside when I'm flushing. 

I wonder if I'm supposed to guard her when she goes potty. ?_? I'd never seen her potty really, except recently when I was looking for her and caught her pottying twice just an hour or so apart. I guess a #1 and a #2. She stared wide-eyed at me and I said, "Sorry!", and ran off, but was wondering if I was expected to stand in the doorway, facing away from her, and guard her. ?_? 

My little guard cat is so cute!
 I'm assuming she's trying to help guard me from predators since she lived in the wild/streets for ~6 years and you would want someone watching your back (or front) out there if you were going potty...She seems to be ~7 based on an x-ray and ultrasound that found early arthritis. She looks like she had at least one litter of kittens and I imagine she sat there guarding them when they were doing their business. 

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else's cat guard them while they're using the bathroom? 

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My
Does anyone else's cat guard them while they're using the bathroom? 
My cat Robin sure does! I can't do ANYTHING without him there. Heck, if I have a nightmare, he paws at me to wake me up. I'm not sure if he's guarding me or just supervising me, haha. My sister says he's protecting me. When she visits, he will sleep at the foot of my bed facing the living room, and rarely sleeps until she leaves. When I go to work, he usually sleeps right against the door, even though I gave him (I really did lol) his own chair to sleep on right there.

Cats are really much more attuned to us than they are given credit for by many folks! [emoji]128570[/emoji]

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
My
My cat Robin sure does! I can't do ANYTHING without him there. Heck, if I have a nightmare, he paws at me to wake me up. I'm not sure if he's guarding me or just supervising me, haha. My sister says he's protecting me. When she visits, he will sleep at the foot of my bed facing the living room, and rarely sleeps until she leaves. When I go to work, he usually sleeps right against the door, even though I gave him (I really did lol) his own chair to sleep on right there.

Cats are really much more attuned to us than they are given credit for by many folks! [emoji]128570[/emoji]
Aww! How cute! Yep, sure sounds like he is your guard cat. :) My cat also loves to sit on me in the morning. Just sit on me while awake, which is different from when she comes to lie on top of me occasionally. Recently, I've been wondering if she's "guarding" me when I'm sleeping, but only in the morning. I used to think she did it to wake me up, but when she stopped waking me up for wet food breakfast for a long while, but still sat on me, it made me wonder if she was watching over me. I love her! 

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww! How cute! Yep, sure sounds like he is your guard cat. :) My cat also loves to sit on me in the morning. Just sit on me while awake, which is different from when she comes to lie on top of me occasionally. Recently, I've been wondering if she's "guarding" me when I'm sleeping, but only in the morning. I used to think she did it to wake me up, but when she stopped waking me up for wet food breakfast for a long while, but still sat on me, it made me wonder if she was watching over me. I love her! :D  
Sounds like she's trying to keep you home!! How sweet!!!!!

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww! I didn't think of that. That makes me happy!!! :D She & I love to hang out together! :rub: It's bad for my social life though. =/
Haha!! My cat IS my social life. I tell people, "Robin is lonely" and people come to visit HIM. [emoji]128527[/emoji]

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do, he is my Friskies, my bottle fed baby. He will even sleep on my pillow or snuggle with me. He will get upset if I leave him or close the door, like the bathroom without him. He will alos come to me and comfort me if I', upset, he can tell. Not many do that for me. He is a tabby much like your guy.

anonymouslyanon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Guard Cat as well. He's going on 4 years old.
He's terribly independent and HATES to be picked up. But we have what I refer to as a baby bird bond. He follows me literally everywhere I go. He talks constantly and coo's at me all the time.
Whenever I'm in a room, he lays on the floor and faces away from me. As soon as I open the door he either looks at me and coo's, or he gallops away all sideways while cooing.
This applies to any room I'm in at any time. Sometimes I have to yell at him to stop staring at me and he stops! And then punishes me..
He's also TERRIFIED of strangers who knock on the door and he growls at them. One in particular he hides under a bed fo hours unless I run him out. It's a very loud delivery truck he fears.
But he jumps up multiple times a days, primarily in the morning and kneads me and sleeps for 20-60 minutes before going about his day.
I think he's the coolest cat though. He listens intently, seems to respond extremely well to praising too. Totally independent like I said, and always wants to play. It just has to be his idea.

I think the guard cat trait is very rare. But we should feel grateful for their efforts.

Anyhow, I think it's pure love of you that your cat does these things.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are both guard cats 1. If the bedroom door is shut with them on the outside they will paw under it and Katness will slam her body against it ( she also does this if I actidentally close her in the closet). 2. My daughter decided Katness should be her cat & locked her in her room after about 2 hrs. Katness attacked her physically she is front declawed but left 2 teeth marks in my teenagers calf of her leg. 3. Katness chases my 10 yr old away from the snack cabinet at night she hasn't left teeth marks yet! I didn't believe it till I saw it she means business! We yell at my daughter from the bedroom guess the cat understands no snacks after supper. LOL 4. Roses territory is my bathroom she tries to sit on my lap while I'm on the toilet .if Katness comes in there and rubs my leg she will attack her& chase her out of the bathroom. 5. Rose loves visitors and must inspect their laps by laying in them.She loves children also. 6. Rose sleeps on my pillow at night to protect me from the field mice.:nod: