Does anyone else have a feline mechanic???

muzbymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 20 -22 month stray that I took in when he was about 3 months old. One of his eyes had an infection that we couldn't get control of so we had to have one of his eyes removed. He also had a canine that was growing up into the roof of his mouth and, much to the embarassment of my husband, we had our vet install a mouth appliance for about 3 weeks to redirect the canine, which worked wonderfully. However, I have two problems. One is that this one-eyed kitty (Muzby) is completely fearless. He leaps onto, over, around things that make my heart stop. And in some former life he apparently was plumber/mechanic. He is obsessed with water, is there a stronger word than obsessed? Obsessed to the point where he figures out how to dismantle things like the water fountain (filter, reservoir, everything) I bought to encourage my CRF cat to drink more and the water bubbler I have out in the garage for them when they are out there. He doesn't tear it up or anything but he continually takes things apart. I bought one of those laser light toys that sit on the floor. While the other cats are chasing the beam, he's over at the unit trying to figure out how to get it apart to get inside. I am at a loss. It's not just for attention because he does it just as much when we're gone. He has tons of toys, 3 other cats to play with and an aquarium and 2 birds he can watch. I'm going to order one of those Peek & Prize toys from Smartcat but I'm not terribly optimistic that will make a big change. He has a Thing-a-ma-String but he doesn't care about the string, he wants to get inside. Any thoughts??????

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go Muzby!

I think that when cats are in their "teen" years the curiosity factor is ten times (or more) that of their kitten baby months. At that age my 5 orphan kittens were a handful around the house. I found cabinet doors open, faucets turned on, toilets flushing and the occasional toy dismantled. I never could pinpoint who of the 5 was the culprit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muzbymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So last night I finally broke down and put packing tape, the kind with the fibers in it, over the top of the fountain cover. NOW we shove it around the kitchen watching the water slosh around (and over the sides) and the air bubbles in the reservoir as the bowl part refills. I'm thinking I should just get a kiddie pool and put it in the kitchen. (heavy sigh) As far as the outgrowing thing...I'll believe it when I see it. My 3 1/2 year old Manx mix shows no signs of outgrowing any of his 'personality traits'.

mzkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's just being a normal kitty!! Isnt that so great! you gave him a new lease on life, one eye or not. Gooood for him.

All cats are mad for water but they get their habit under control. Except my cat who will now and then, decide to meow frantically at my vanishing bath water hahahahaha

muzbymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yeah, he's a blast alright. I have temporarily put up the water fountain. My nerves needed a break. When I got home last night and found it upside down in the dining room, water everywhere, I told Snow (my CRF cat and the reason for the fountain) he would just have to suck it up until I could figure out a solution. I'm not sure how to attach a photo here, so I'm going to try to post some pictures of him on my profile. One of him on the towel bar before he tried to climb onto the shower rod. And the other of him on top of the curio cabinet...I have no idea how he got up there and I probably don't want to know. I try to give credit where credit is due...he is a very conscientious hard working cat. When he's not dismantling things or sailing through the air he is usually busy cleaning the shower, cleaning the bathroom mirror or cleaning the bathroom sink. Last Friday he got up on the counter in the kitchen and was trying to get the lid of the crock pot off. I guess he wanted pork roast for dinner. When the glass lid proved too heavy for him he discovered the marshmallows I am air drying on the shelf behind the crock pot. Here he comes tearing into the living room with a marshmallow stuck on his canine. Chenille thought it was a game so she tried to bat the marshamllow around then he tried to bat her head around. (heavy sigh) Just another day in the Cornelius household. He has a fixation with drawstrings that can be a little annoying to say the least, especially when it's your waist he's dangling from. So I started tucking the drawstring inside the waistband...now he comes up through the pant leg. Should it be this hard? I just don't think so.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Muzbymom

Oh yeah, he's a blast alright. I have temporarily put up the water fountain. My nerves needed a break. When I got home last night and found it upside down in the dining room, water everywhere, I told Snow (my CRF cat and the reason for the fountain) he would just have to suck it up until I could figure out a solution. I'm not sure how to attach a photo here, so I'm going to try to post some pictures of him on my profile. One of him on the towel bar before he tried to climb onto the shower rod. And the other of him on top of the curio cabinet...I have no idea how he got up there and I probably don't want to know. I try to give credit where credit is due...he is a very conscientious hard working cat. When he's not dismantling things or sailing through the air he is usually busy cleaning the shower, cleaning the bathroom mirror or cleaning the bathroom sink. Last Friday he got up on the counter in the kitchen and was trying to get the lid of the crock pot off. I guess he wanted pork roast for dinner. When the glass lid proved too heavy for him he discovered the marshmallows I am air drying on the shelf behind the crock pot. Here he comes tearing into the living room with a marshmallow stuck on his canine. Chenille thought it was a game so she tried to bat the marshamllow around then he tried to bat her head around. (heavy sigh) Just another day in the Cornelius household. He has a fixation with drawstrings that can be a little annoying to say the least, especially when it's your waist he's dangling from. So I started tucking the drawstring inside the waistband...now he comes up through the pant leg. Should it be this hard? I just don't think so.

Sorry ... don't mean to laugh this hard at your troubles.... (well, yeah, kinda!)
But this is funny! And entertaining ... I guess... as long one is not living it!

muzbymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I told my friends at work this was why I never had cats but they have cats and tell me there's nothing normal about my little muffinface. My husband tells me he feels terrible we couldn't save his eye...I thank God every day he only has one eye. Can you imagine if he had both?????? I wish we could have gotten a picture of the marshamllow but we were laughing too hard. One of these days I'll share some stories about Snow, my Manx mix with CRF who isn't as active as Muzby but behavior-wise and frustration-wise runs a close second.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so funny
he sounds like a real charactor!!
I had a foster kitty that busy like that, he was always into something!climbed peoples bodies!constanstly knocked over food and water bowls!!he figured out how to turn the water on in the bathroom and overflowed the bathroom!!
He sure kept us on our toes
he was returned after being "adopted" twice!! because of how busy he is! We thought he was going to end up being a permanent in our home! But he was adopted and now is alot calmer!and very happy with his new family!