Does Anyone Else have a Cat that Loves Sleeping on Vents?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to know if anyone else had a cat that loved sleeping on heating vents. My cat Carrot has become obsessed with sleeping on them or at least near them. He will lay on the carpet next to the cabinet that is over our vent in the living room and wait for it to come on. He also will lay directly on the one in the bathroom. He is sleeping on it right now. 

Does anyone else have a cat that does this? I know that the house is heating to 70 degrees right now so it isn't really that cold in here.

Here's a picture I took before he fell asleep:

This one is of him asleep:

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have heating vents, but seeking out the warmest place is pretty standard cat behaviour. They sell heated pads and radiator beds for a reason, you know ;) :lol3:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My heating vents are on the ceiling so no way for the cats to attach themselves there
I use Snuggle Safe microwavable pads to provide safe heat. My DMH loves to stretch out over a blanket covered pad to keep warm
I'm not sure if my Aby even knows what the pads are for since I've never seen him use one.

My previous cat loved to sit on the old style cast iron steam radiators at my parents' house in the winter. I couldn't blame him. My parents' house is old and extremely drafty and not well insulated. The radiators were exposed but there was a metal cover on top (definitely not pet or kid safe) that my cat would sit on. To keep my cat from burning himself (those radiators get super HOT but are inefficient to warm up a freezing cold room
) I kept a folded towel on top for my cat to sit on.

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have heating vents, but seeking out the warmest place is pretty standard cat behaviour. They sell heated pads and radiator beds for a reason, you know
Ahaha I think my cat is broken then, he prefers cool tiles and cold surfaces. Little booger generates enough of his own heat :p

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are the same way ( sleeping on floor vents). It's been a record breaking cold where I'm at, haven't had this much snow since 1988. I'm hoping it doesn't snow anymore this year but another storm is coming in today. Didn't have water for 4 days while the water department fixed several broken lines during the last storm. The electricity was flashing on and off like an old Disney cartoon.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, Sara spends 90% of the day now in my bathroom, completely against the vent. I was wondering why it was so cold in there, it used to be the warmest room in the house! 
 That used to be one of Lucky's spots, that and this area just outside the bathroom that also was quite warm. I remember the first time I saw him spending a lot of time there, I thought something was wrong with him. Then I felt how warm it was there. Ok, I got it then, lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are the same way ( sleeping on floor vents). It's been a record breaking cold where I'm at, haven't had this much snow since 1988. I'm hoping it doesn't snow anymore this year but another storm is coming in today. Didn't have water for 4 days while the water department fixed several broken lines during the last storm. The electricity was flashing on and off like an old Disney cartoon.
I can't imagine being without water for that long! Hope you and your kittys work to stay home.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its good to know Carrot isn't alone. I just thought it was weird since my younger cat doesn't join him in the warm spots. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have a cat, and you have vents, there's about a 75% chance that you have a cat that loves vents.  The other 25% seek out the coolest spots available, and some switch allegiances with the seasons.  I had one crazy cat that would open the refrigerator and  curl up on the bottom shelf in hot weather.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I should have seen it coming. In the summer, he spent all his time in the sun spots. He just loves warmth I guess. It also explains why he as abandoned the window perches. They're probably too cold being next to the window. 

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes mine did all the time! I made her some self-heating blankets out of those emergency blankets and fleece fabric, she loved them.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a "warm spell" today. Even the snow and ice outside was all melting, so puddles everywhere. And Sara was out (of the bathroom) and about today. 

Of course, we're expecting single digits in the next few days. Which means 1) all that melted stuff will turn into sheets of ice 
and 2) Sara will be plastered against the vent again soon, lol.

Muffin and Jaspers mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Funny you mention this. My cats are also obsessed with getting on the vents when the heat turns on. And it’s about 70 in my home in the winter. I knew my cats were cold last fall when they kept waiting by the heat vent for it to turn on. I figured it was time to go ahead and start turning the heat on for them. Ha

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper knows the sound of the furnace turning on.

When he hears it, he heads for the vent in the living room and waits for the heat to come up.

He'll do the same thing in the summer with the air conditioning, too.

Casper has certain vents that he'll hang out by at different times.
In the day time or in the evening, he'll hang out by the vent in the living room but, in the middle of the afternoon, he'll hang out by the vent in the bedroom.

If we can't find Casper, that's one of the first places we look.

Casper knows which side of the bread has the butter on it! ;)

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He doesn't sleep on them, but strangely there are only two things in the house he will scratch. His scratching post and metal floor grates. (and he can't pass up either)

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We call our vents the Belit butt warmers, because she folds herself into a rectangle shape to fit as much of her body on the vent's surface as possible. She sleeps with us at night, but the moment we get out of bed she goes straight to the vent.