Does anybody else think of their cat as a “person”?

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, I fully realize that my little Juli is not a human, she’s a cat, I get that. But the way I feel about her, I don’t think of her as “just an animal” or “just a pet.” She’s family. Just like my sister is my sister, etc, she’s a family member.
Does anybody else feel this intense about their kitty?

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is this not a cat with a human spirit? We are so bonded I stay home a lot to feed her and keep the other two from her food.
Shes a little thinner now in 2020-this was in 2012 and we got her in 2001 just before 9/11 she was one day from destruction in a high kill shelter and I agreed to save her sight unseen.
aug 4 2012 048.jpg

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I fully realize that my little Juli is not a human, she’s a cat, I get that. But the way I feel about her, I don’t think of her as “just an animal” or “just a pet.” She’s family. Just like my sister is my sister, etc, she’s a family member.
Does anybody else feel this intense about their kitty?
I read that Calicos don't like being picked up and held. Its true with my 3 year old I've had since 4 weeks old. Shes onry and from feral stock but is mellowing out. Boy was she a biter!!!!! Almost gave her a new home. I had no kids so they are THEM!

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! Cats have feelings and emotions just like we do and react the same way to different things. I have seen Lily lick Mingo's face when he got hurt, and they both lick their lips if they are offended. That lip-licking can mean a lot of things - so there, you creep; I've had enough; glad I got away. Mingo has gone and fetched Lily when she was crying and thought everyone abandoned her. My cats are my feline people.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this not a cat with a human spirit? We are so bonded I stay home a lot to feed her and keep the other two from her food.
Shes a little thinner now in 2020-this was in 2012 and we got her in 2001 just before 9/11 she was one day from destruction in a high kill shelter and I agreed to save her sight unseen.
View attachment 347400
My, what a beauty!! She looks very young for being 19!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read that Calicos don't like being picked up and held. Its true with my 3 year old I've had since 4 weeks old. Shes onry and from feral stock but is mellowing out. Boy was she a biter!!!!! Almost gave her a new home. I had no kids so they are THEM!
my little brat can be affectionate at times, but she hates being held or picked up. She’s sweet when she’s in the mood, and it hasto be on her terms.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepper was a calico and she loved being picked up and held. Shaman is calico and she doesn't like being picked up and held. Both of them though were/are one person cats unless something happened like with Shaman being run off by her brother.

Pepper was an American Shorthair. Shaman is a British Shorthair. That may be the difference.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely...My Snowball :whitecat:that crossed the rainbow bridge 7/8/20... was and is still in my mind and heart like my child...And hes still is.
My son got me a kitten to keep me company
But it aint the same
But in time the kitten my son got me named Fudgey will become part of the family and be like a child to me
I guess you could say he already is:silver:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my months of social isolation are starting to show. I accidentally said to someone, "Delilah didn't talk to me much yesterday." And I didn't even mean meowing, because she doesn't even do that often. I just referred to her greeting me and rubbing against my legs as "talking" to me without thinking about it!

(She didn't "talk" to me much because it was hot and she only wanted to lay on the cool kitchen floor. She's fine!)