Does Activated Charcoal really work?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I clicked on an add about helping with dust in the home. Turns out it was about NatureFresh Activated Bamboo Charcoal bags. Has anyone ever used these? Do they really work when it comes to reducing allergens (dust, pollen..etc) I know it can help with odor, but I really want help with allergens. What other brands have you ever tried that worked? We have a couple of air purifiers in the house but I don't want them all over. They take up room, most are ugly, and I'm not a fan of feeling the constant air flow. And yes I do clean....but it seems like I can't really ever get on top of the dusting.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found it to be a big hype to be honest. And be careful brushing with it. I ruined all my uppers using activated charcoal.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Activated charcoal is a real thing, not hype; doctors use it to absorb poisons.

But a bag just sits there so I'm pretty sure it can't collect very many allergens/toxins/dust, just due to lack of air flow.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Activated charcoal is a real thing, not hype; doctors use it to absorb poisons.

But a bag just sits there so I'm pretty sure it can't collect very many allergens/toxins/dust, just due to lack of air flow.
What doctors? Because doctors here where I live don't use it. Most at Mercy do claim it to be hype.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What doctors? Because doctors here where I live don't use it. Most at Mercy do claim it to be hype.
People taking it themselves is hype (due to low dosage) and can be dangerous if they take it all the time (it can prevent absorption of vitamins/minerals). But high doses are definitely used in cases of acute poisoning.
Activated Charcoal

It's also used in water purification and air filters. But those require the water/air flowing through the charcoal, and like I said, a bag just sits there.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I clicked on an add about helping with dust in the home. Turns out it was about NatureFresh Activated Bamboo Charcoal bags. Has anyone ever used these? Do they really work when it comes to reducing allergens (dust, pollen..etc) I know it can help with odor, but I really want help with allergens. What other brands have you ever tried that worked? We have a couple of air purifiers in the house but I don't want them all over. They take up room, most are ugly, and I'm not a fan of feeling the constant air flow. And yes I do clean....but it seems like I can't really ever get on top of the dusting.
not sure about the dust i use charcoal in graycies poop can to help with the smell

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And be careful brushing with it. I ruined all my uppers using activated charcoal.
Yeah, you have to be careful with abrasives on teeth. I once used baking soda for a short time, and it caused some significant sensitivity. Thankfully, it went away when I stopped using it.

That is my concern...
Same with salt lamps...they are said to help clean the air and attract dust and allergens...but I have yet to see an increased amount of dust around the lamps...but at least they're pretty!

not sure about the dust i use charcoal in graycies poop can to help with the smell
does it make a noticeable difference?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been using a charcoal soap for a few months now. It's supposed to help reduce overly oily skin and be good for acne. I'm not positive it's better than the Proactiv I've been using for decades. Plus I still use toners and treatments. Maybe that's offsetting the oil reduction. At the least; it's not hurting my skin situation. :dunno:

But I don't know about reducing dust without being in an air filter. We do use a good filter on our furnace and I think that helps. I'm not the best at keeping up with dusting; but I do like my swiffers. It seems best when I can just dust with a product that actually holds onto the dust instead of stirring it up. Especially for things like the ceiling fans and tops of cabinets that are hard to reach.