Does A Tuna Allergy Mean All Seafood Is Off Limits? I'm Running Out Of Proteins For Ibd Cat

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

My older male cat has IBD and his initial allergy was determined to be tuna. He is currently being extremely picky. At the moment he is eating Hound & Gatos pork (grudgingly). I have had him on Merrick limited ingredient turkey and duck, and koha kangaroo.He wasn't thrilled. I have tried other brands of both flavors without success. He is allergic to lamb, beef, chicken, and carrageenan. He won't eat rabbit. He may or may not be allergic to venison (while transition him from lamb to venison he had diarrhea and developed an ear infection. It was when his lamb allergy had been discovered so I'm not sure if it was a lingering lamb issue or the venison).

I know seafood is not looked upon favorably when feeding cats and I'm curious about whether or not the tuna allergy means a blanketed seafood allergy. I found a sardine flavor from both evangers (who I'm scared to try) and natures logic. For several reasons I can't feed raw. I could go the cooked homemade diet, but I'd rather not as it seems overwhelming with the supplements I'd need to add (I looked into ezcomplete but it contains chicken liver).

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether sardines would be safe?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is a tough one. In my understanding, if a cat or human is allergic to one type of finned fish, like tuna, they will be allergic to all types of finned fish. But an allergy to finned fish doesn't translate into an allergy to shellfish. There is just a high level of cross-reactivity within finned fish that makes having an allergy to one mean that you likely have an allergy to all. There are people and likely animals who are exceptions and are only reactive to specific members of the either group. Like someone allergic to shrimp but not octopus and muscles. Tuna and sardines though seem to me like they would be close enough to have cross-reactivity.

I think your safest bet would be to check with your vet and get their opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! That makes a lot of sense. I am actually allergic to shellfish but have never even attempted to eat any other seafood for risk of a reaction.

I was most curious because I asked my vet about turkey and duck since he is allergic to chicken, so because he's allergic to chicken would he be allergic to all poultry? She said she didn't think so but admittedly didn't know.

Do you happen to know if they do the human equivalent of allergy testing on cats? I have looked into speaking to a feline nutrionist but it's really expensive. Thanks again!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks so much! That makes a lot of sense. I am actually allergic to shellfish but have never even attempted to eat any other seafood for risk of a reaction.

I was most curious because I asked my vet about turkey and duck since he is allergic to chicken, so because he's allergic to chicken would he be allergic to all poultry? She said she didn't think so but admittedly didn't know.

Do you happen to know if they do the human equivalent of allergy testing on cats? I have looked into speaking to a feline nutrionist but it's really expensive. Thanks again!
The poultry allergy I actually know because my Dad is allergic to all poultry but they did test him for each major poultry which would indicate that it is common to be allergic to a specific type but not the others. Meaning that it is entirely possible to be allergic to one but not the others. As my cat is sensitive to chicken but not sensitive to turkey (at least now) I would say exploring other poultry options would be easier at this point than exploring other fish.

My theory, and this is purely personal theory, is that fish have not been selectively bred and tampered with like most modern sources of poultry. So while fish have had evolutionary deviations to adapt to environment they are still extremely similar in biological form. While most farm raised poultry share very little physical commonality with their wild ancestors because of human intervention in breeding and selective processes. The modern day turkey and chicken have deviated further from their original shared roots through our intervention so they are biological separate enough to prevent major cross-reactive properties as it relates to allergies. You also have less evolutionary change in sea creatures, generally speaking, which keeps them close biologically to each other and ancestors over time which contributes to making it so that those properties which cause allergic reaction to be more common across species.

Yes, I have thought about this some. Food allergies run in my family so as it relates to myself. I tend to personally stick with minimally processed and pronounceable edibles as I tend to react somewhat to some things.

Allergy testing is very expensive in cat. However, most human allergy testing is not conclusive so it would seem that cat testing wouldn't be more reliable. My Dad got allergy tested and was told he tested as allergic to potatoes; however he eats them daily and has never had a problem. Our guess is that is a specific strain of potatoes that we don't eat. Really, the best way to figure out sensitivities is an elimination diet and adding things back in to see reaction, go back to elimination for a few weeks, try something new, back to elimination, try, rinse and repeat. I have personally done this to some degree of success which is why I stick with minimally processed. I am pretty sure I need to do a lower grain, dairy free type diet but I like bread and cheese too much right now to cut it out.

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I completely agree about the seafood. I would not have felt comfortable if I had to feed that to him but I really feel like I'm running out of options. I feel like I'm on my 300th elimination diet :argh:I found this and have done some research about the testing and I haven't found anyone with any complaints (not everything I found had information on the accuracy).

It's $298 which is costly but I'm also spending SO much money on food he ends up not eating, so if it gives me answers it might be worth it. Here's the link.

NutriScan Food Sensitivity and Intolerance Test for Cats and Dogs - Dr. Dodds

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can completely understand being at that point where you are willing to spend the money for the test. My worry would be to the accuracy of it flagging something as a sensitivity when it is such a minor one that it doesn't preclude the food from his diet. If it has some sort of level of reaction that would be helpful so that if he tests strongly to one you fully avoid it but a weak reaction you can maybe try it as part of a rotation. There is a difference between allergy, intolerance and sensitivity. The other worry would be that if it only tests for 30 or 40 allergens and it turns out that he is allergic to something not on the list. But in that case you really aren't any worse off.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's a blood allergy test and an injection ( like with humans) allergy test. I've heard accuracy is variable. My cat is allergic to fish regular and I did try a bit of sardine so we're going with all fish. She's not allergic to shrimp (only in case she had a reaction to molecularly distilled fish oil I needed krill as a second option). Today she had beef and no reaction. I'm pretty sure she's allergic to turkey and chicken.

She on rabbit. What rabbit did you try that kitty didn't like?

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The test I'm going to do is actually for "sensitivity" and not allergy. There is a range, so they tell you if there is no reaction, a mild reaction, or avoid. I looked into the skin test and from what I understand it's not too reliable and I don't like the procedure they would have do, especially if it isn't always accurate.

I tried Pride by instinct rabbit (two wet forms) and I and love and you (I hate typing that ridiculous name out!) rabbit and he won't even sniff at either. He loved the lamb but became symptomatic with IBD issues after a few weeks. I'm hoping he is okay with venison. The test checks for that and they also do a sardine/white fish check. I wish I could get him to eat duck. I'm currently searching the internet for a turkey bone broth recipe because he will eat turkey or duck if it has a gravy. He had a lot of teeth removed so it's hard for him to eat diced or minced foods unless I blend then first.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it was rockin rabbit there's a bunch of things other than rabbit in it (veggies, artichokes? These can cause allergies in humans). Natures instinct lid rabbit would be a suggestion. The veggies in the others might be turning off kitty. But for now just skip rabbit.

Venison-buy only a can it tends to be dry. If you're ordering a case buy from chewy.com. They return them if kitty hates.

So I love you rabbit has fish oil and bunches of veggies.
  • Rabbit, Beef Broth, Beef Liver, Cranberries, Spinach, Tricalcium Phosphate, Carrots, Natural Flavor, Sweet Potatoes, Guar Gum, Alfalfa Meal, Flaxseed, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Dl-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Cassia Gum, Xanthan Gum, Salmon Oil, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid.
Natures instinct lid (limited ingredient diet) is pure pate, no chunks of meat. It has a silver stamp on it. It would be perfect for bone broth. Venison would be an option with bone broth. Natures instinct lid turkey is available at about every pet smart. Some might have duck. I don't remember having to order it.

Pop into the raw forum here and ask for a bone broth recipe. Several people make them.
Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

You really need a limited ingredient food to avoid fish oil and any odd possible allergen with the veggies added to some. I think i used natural balance lid duck (available at most pet stores). It is also pate and not chunks. I wanted to offer store possibilities because cases are a nightmare when checking for allergies and if the cat will eat it.

I believe some use hounds and gatos pork for allergies. You need no fish oil in any food. You'll see flax seed as a replacement.natures instinct lid has added a beef.

Last edited:

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is excellent information, thank you so much! The test I ordered checks for some grain sensitivity but not all and I am concerned it is not the protein but another ingredient in the food. I have the natures variety in venison and in duck, it wasn't a hit. I also have Instinct venison but the texture was too hard and dry. I found a butcher who sells pork bone broth that I am buying today so I think I'll try mixing it in with the Instinct and see if he'll eat it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
cheeser cheeser Maybe you two should compare notes on foods. It sounds like you are both looking for food options for sensitive tummies.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cheeser cheeser Maybe you two should compare notes on foods. It sounds like you are both looking for food options for sensitive tummies.
We do seem to be having our share of challenges, don't we? :)

One of the things that helped us was to spreadsheet all of the ingredients for all of the canned food options we considered. That made it a little easier to compare certain options side by side to help us figure out if a problem was with an actual protein, or another ingredient. Unfortunately, no matter how good something looks on paper, it's not much help if your cat won't eat it or can't tolerate it. :sigh: