Does a puffed up tail always mean aggression or fear?

Lily mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All of a sudden my kitten put her tail down and arched her back. Then she stuck her tail up and puffed it up twice it’s size. I thought she was feeling agitated, but she’s following me around the house. But every time I talk to her she fluffs her tail again and runs just to come right back. Is she probably trying to play? I’m confused right now

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens and some adult cats fluff up simply from excitement and play...mine when he is play mode can fluff up just from my voice.
Nothing to really worry about. Just kitten silly antics and she just having her own personal play session.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No, it doesn't always mean fear or aggression. Kittens fluff their tails up and arch their back when they play with each other. It sounds like she's trying to engage you in a game.

Do you have wand toys for her to chase or balls to roll around for her? They usually love that kind of thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lily mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Yes, I do have wand toys for her and she loves it.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a slightly weird thing that some do. There are many weirder things, like I had a sideways hopper. If he wanted to play, especially with the other cat, he would look at the cat and do the sideways hop.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes - it is sometimes hard to tell the differences between their play posture ... ( can be tail down to the side , fluffed up, side ways hop , arched back) and aggression. Often you can tell by their ears ... if they are forward when they are posturing it is exited fun and games- my cats also murmur before they jump on each other for play ... A tummy up after such an invitation spells trouble as it is an invitation to jump on and play bunny kick or bite wrestle- great for kittens - not to great for human hands lol