Does a neutered cat still roam?

lisa a miller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does a neutered male cat still roam for female cats when they are in heat? I rescue abandoned kittens and cats. My husband is highly allergic to them so he built a heated 6 bedroom condo for them on our back porch. We live several miles back in the woods and there is no traffic to worry about and my 3 girl cats have been spayed. They are ages 8, 11 and 16, When this 6-9 week old little boy kitty was found, I thought getting him Neutered would keep him from wandering off as many other male cats I've adopted have done in the past.  Not sure what I was thinking because a man gets a vasectomy and that just prevents sperm from getting into the seminal fluid. It does not decrease the mans ability or desire for intercourse. So, just brought this little guy "Bobby" he's a Manx without a tail, home from the humane society from getting neutered and now I am really thinking he is still going to "follow the scent" when a female is in heat......I think everyone has different views on this, but I know my cats/kittens are very well cared for and for the most part just like to hang out on the porch with us, in fact going to pour a chilled glass of wine, grab the bag of catnip and go hang on the porch with them! Good luck with your cat....the electric fence does sound like a good idea because cats are natural born hunters and the first sign of a sick or aging cat is that they stop hunting rodents!

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Does a neutered male cat still roam for female cats when they are in heat? I rescue abandoned kittens and cats. My husband is highly allergic to them so he built a heated 6 bedroom condo for them on our back porch. We live several miles back in the woods and there is no traffic to worry about and my 3 girl cats have been spayed. They are ages 8, 11 and 16, When this 6-9 week old little boy kitty was found, I thought getting him Neutered would keep him from wandering off as many other male cats I've adopted have done in the past.  Not sure what I was thinking because a man gets a vasectomy and that just prevents sperm from getting into the seminal fluid. It does not decrease the mans ability or desire for intercourse. So, just brought this little guy "Bobby" he's a Manx without a tail, home from the humane society from getting neutered and now I am really thinking he is still going to "follow the scent" when a female is in heat......I think everyone has different views on this, but I know my cats/kittens are very well cared for and for the most part just like to hang out on the porch with us, in fact going to pour a chilled glass of wine, grab the bag of catnip and go hang on the porch with them! Good luck with your cat....the electric fence does sound like a good idea because cats are natural born hunters and the first sign of a sick or aging cat is that they stop hunting rodents!
Did you have your male neutered or did he get a vasectomy?  Neutering removes the testicles, which stops the production of the sex hormones.  It's different than just cutting the tubes.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackcatfan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neutered cats can still roam, just usually not as far and not after females. Force of habit or just instinct I think. (I have had female roamers too!) This is not a definite for all cats, still very likely to happen from my own experience. Can I ask why you got a vasectomy instead of a neutering? It is very rarely done here, neutering is usually what is done (as neutering lowers the level of testosterone in the body rather than just stopping the flow of sperm)