Does A Cat's Tail Keep Growing?

MomToDaisy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - I adopted a 10 year old sweet cat last year and thought she had a rather short tail. Didn't think much of it at the time, but a year later it now seems longer. It is an odd question I know, but does a cat's tail keep growing throughout their lifetime? Thanks.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I honestly don't know the answer to this question. I'm thinking NOT, otherwise when a tail get's amputated for some reason, it might eventually grow back, and I've never heard of that happening.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think tails grow once a cat reaches adulthood. Is it possible that since you adopted her her weight/body condition has changed due to being fed different and being more or less active and that is making you perceive her tail as longer relative to her body size?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she lost weight, or does she get a thicker coat in the winter that she loses for summer? Those are some things that could make her tail look longer. Because, no, their tails don't get longer. They are born with all the vertebrae they're going to ever have, mammals' bodies don't grow extra bones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MomToDaisy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has she lost weight, or does she get a thicker coat in the winter that she loses for summer? Those are some things that could make her tail look longer. Because, no, their tails don't get longer. They are born with all the vertebrae they're going to ever have, mammals' bodies don't grow extra bones.
Hello - I adopted a 10 year old sweet cat last year and thought she had a rather short tail. Didn't think much of it at the time, but a year later it now seems longer. It is an odd question I know, but does a cat's tail keep growing throughout their lifetime? Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MomToDaisy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for replying. It all makes sense it would not grow. She has gained a pound & a half since I adopted her and perhaps overall she just seems larger. Anyway, thanks everyone!