Do your cats watch tv

Furrywurrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure if I’m even posting this in the correct place, but here goes.

I have been around cats all my 41 years of life from what I’m told. Never seen a cat give more than a fleeting interest in tv. But I got a kitten about 10 weeks ago, he instantly showed an interest in tv I have pictures of him watching tv the very first night he was allowed out of his base camp space. I play YouTube cat tv for him, he really enjoys it and luckily the only tv he can get his paws on is one that he can’t damage, he enjoys the out of reach too.

He is currently sat watching Jurassic park 😂 and he also loves lord of the rings which is ironic since his name is Gollum 🤣🤣

I’ve never known anything like it but I guess that’s why cat tv on YouTube exists

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep my two enjoy TV. They like wildlife documentaries and the lion King. :lol: One of them loves watching snooker.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilith watches TV with me when I'm in bed. I fix her a nest with her favorite plush blanket and she settles right in. She gets really annoyed when The Kardashians are on though. It's so funny. She slowly looks back at me over her shoulder and glares at me. The "you're lucky I'm comfortable or I'd leave" look. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furrywurrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha some of these replies have made my day.

Agree on the sentiment towards the kardashians, but I think we all know cats have good taste :thumbsup:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lily would watch Discovery Channel's Small World and that's about it. Nobel liked bright and colourful animated shows.

When Magnus was young he would watch TV. He took. A big liking to the few seasons of Kobra Kai that we started and never finished watching. He grew out of cat tv on our tablets or watching television with us. It mostly annoys him.

We cat-sat for a cat who LOVED the old Super Mario on N64. He would hit the koopas. He knew the intro sound and would come running. My wife made their ringtone Super Mario and he went running to the TV. Obviously, we obliged.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read an article that said that cats have no idea what is what on the tv screen, but they only see movement and not the things or animals/people themselves. I so disagree. My Louise sees kittens and bunnies and acts just like a baby at times laying on her back with her front paws curled in the air. And when she sees the mice games, she darts after them when they go back into their hole or goes looking under everything to find out where they went. She sometimes grabs her stuffed toy mice and flings them back and forth while watching the YouTube mice.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat likes Tom and Jerry. She will watch it on my old tablet. I have no idea whether she believes Tom is a cat, or Jerry a mouse, since she has never seen an actual mouse before, but she likes the cartoon anyway. She will not react to other cartoons the same way, so it may not just be the action.

There was a time when the Amazing Race was on the same evening as the Walking Dead. She was mesmerized by the Amazing Race. I believe it was both the quick action and color. Walking Dead came on and she went to sleep. Colors too muddy.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee likes to watch television and it's interesting what programmes catch his attention. Understandably, he loves the David Attenborough type nature programmes, particularly if big cats or birds are on screen. He also enjoys watching the weather reports on the news and the football!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Understandably, he loves the David Attenborough type nature programmes, particularly if big cats or birds are on screen.
Yes, Willy loves these programs, too! His attention immediately focuses on the screen. I put them on just for him sometimes when he's on my lap and we are watching TV.

He also likes watching when I play video games. I have a Nintendo Switch and when I play Mario games he is especially interested. 😅

It's so funny to say I am playing video games with my cat, but that's exactly what it feels like. I can tell he is stimulated by it and enjoys watching.

Last edited:

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I played a cat video for Echo a few times and he did pay attention, but once a cat came straight into the cam and seemed to be coming straight out of the screen - that was the one time Echo flew off the seat and I had to assure him it wasn't happening. Now he's better about it and likes anything with animals (duh :).

Last edited: