Do Your Cats Try To Steal Dog Food?

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cookie never did this when I fed Beast Taste of the Wild, but since I've switched him to Zignature turkey, she's constantly trying to steal some! It's weird because if I get a sample bag of cat food with large pieces she won't touch it, yet dog kibble is far larger than that and she's trying to dive straight in! It's too bad they don't make Zignature for cats.

My aunt's cat was always trying to take any dog food I dropped, but she's a pig so that was expected.

Do your cats have a thing for dog food?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had to resort to feeding my dogs outside so the cats are less likely to steal it. My collie will just back away from his bowl and let them eat it :doh:. It doesn't seem to matter what I feed the dogs (I rotate food from time to time) the cats want whatever someone else is eating.

My cats are not starving either, in case you are wondering. Their dry food is free fed, so they always have access to food.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm currently dogsitting and I have to basically watch the dogs to ensure they finish their meals or else there will be kitty faces in their bowls to help them out. I also have to keep the dog treats in a cupboard that's higher up, as one of my cats figured out how to open the bottom cupboard they used to be kept in!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily not. The dogs and cats are all on dry and both types are out all the time. The dog food must smell naff to the cats and the most I've seen any of them do is sniff it briefly. It's more of a case of the big dog Chase nicking the cat food, he loves it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine weren't interested in eating the dogs' food, neither is Sweet Gum. However, since a free fed them - filled up an old fashioned dishpan with dog food - the cats did seem to enjoy sleeping in the dog food.

(Note the dogs maintained their proper weight, whether due to their various mixing of breeds or because they didn't like the food much, I don't know.)

The dogs did learn to wait until the cats finished eating then they got to wash the kitty dishes. There was more of a hint and a promise left rather than food.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed raw to all the carnivores so yes, it's a problem. I crate my bengal and feed the cats first, otherwise she has no problem stealing straight from the dogs bowl or mouth while they are chomping away, the other cat will too but has learned I'll just chase her away so doesn't try much now. They also jump in the ferrets room when I go in looking for food to steal.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, mine will jump on the table while I'm preparing the dog food (the dogs get canned food mixed with their dinner kibble) and steal a few bites of the dry or the canned. Oh well, it's all fair because the dogs will steal the cat food every chance they get!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some of you have much crazier cats than mine! Cookie would never try to steal food while Beast is eating because she values her life too much. Why do cats like to turn their nose up at their own food but jump at the chance to eat someone else's?!

Cookie has to be fed on a bookshelf that's 5 feet high and only reachable by climbing the cat tree and then jumping 2 feet across. If I feed her absolutely anywhere else Beast will get the food within seconds. I actually had to pull the cat tree farther away from the bookshelf because he was climbing the tree and stretching across to get her food!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IT GOT WORSE

Amazon sent a $10 credit for Beast's birthday. I got him a little bag of Stella & Chewy freeze dried dinner patties in the red meat flavor (beef, lamb, and goat) to use as treats. The stupid things made all hell break loose. I don't know what magic ingredient is in it but they both lost their minds when I opened the bag. I mean they absolutely fricken lost it. They would murder eachother over this stuff. If I put it in a bowl for Beast, Cookie would probably try to take it from him and lose her head in the process. If I set it on the bed Cookie would undoubtedly tear out Beast's eyeballs if he so much as looked at the bed. I mean they both go into total overstimulated predator mode with this stuff. Dialated pupils, super alert, body tight as a string... I don't think I'll be ordering this again.