Do your cats talk to each other?

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can always tell when Dude and Willow are both around because they talk to each other. Willow makes a deep BRRRRRRRRRR! sound, while Dude's sound is a much higher Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

This usually starts when Dude is telling Willow he's just going to walk past her and please don't chase me, with full eye contact as he goes past, and she responds with the low-pitched chirring sound. There can be several such exchanges in a day. It's really quite sweet. Usually she's polite and doesn't go after him, though sometimes she pushes the envelope a bit by chasing him a bit anyway. It's sort of her shtick, being a friendly jerk.

The same exchange can start when actual play is initiated, usually by Willow but more frequently by Dude.

Do cats normally talk to each other?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve had many cats over the years, but Mocha is the only one who has talked to the other cats. But she’s an extraordinarily vocal cat with a wide range of sounds. I’ve never heard any of the others vocalize to each other!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. They never meow to each other. But they use body language to communicate. My older cat will let the younger cat know when she is misbehaving and will smack her to put her in her place. lol Kitty is definitely the alpha and their body language makes that clear. I have seen Elsa expose her stomach to Kitty when she notices that she's upset with her. Kitty gets up close and stares her down with her tail swishing. And Elsa immediately tries to back away and get out of the way. LOL

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have only seen my little sisters two cats using intimidation tactics on each other walking/sitting there trying to look big etc. :lol:or just plain out trying to squeeze the other off the prefered cat tree perch climbing up there knowing theres no room and just laying ontop of each other

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All three of our boys (16- almost, 2 and 1) talk to one another. They BRRR (or brrrmrrrr) frequently, they almost make other grunts and sounds.
Nobel is a VERY vocal player. He makes all sorts of squaks and things.
All boys will 'MerOW?' when looking for another family member, furred or otherwise.

Magnus goes as far as to vocalize jumping on objects, running up or down the stairs and looking out the window.

Nobel is mostly vocal when Calcifer is existing around him as Cal is very invasive with his love. (I'd worry but Nobel initiates it about 60% of the time and both are quite calm in one another's precence).

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two talk when passing each other normally with a boop snoop. Or if they are playing and one surprises the other. Bandit will meow when Patches has had enough of playing and taken himself to the top of the fridge/freezer because he can't get up there but that's the only time he meows instead of trilling at his brother.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats use a lot of non-verbal communication.

When two cats meet each other they will often pass close by, side to side, nose to tail then twist their tails together as they pass.

That is cat communication for "Wassup?" It's like two leather jacketed dudes doing "Gimme' Five" and a "Thumbs Up."

I like to call it "Friend Tails."

When a cat does Friend Tails with a human it means, "You're part of my clan." :)

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Flint talks ALL of the time. he is constantly meowing for whatever reason. he'll meow when he passes by either of the girls but they don't usually respond. he also meows when he goes up and down stairs. he has full on conversations with me lol. my mom thinks that he was probably previously abandoned bc of the fact that he doesn't stop meowing. he drives everyone else crazy. but I personally love that about him. 😄 scout meows a tiny bit when she's begging. but normally never makes a sound except little brrrs and chirps towards humans only. Maxine only meows when she has a toy in her mouth. she only knows how to squeak otherwise haha.