Do Your Cats Sleep In Bed With You?

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HK sleeps in bed with me, and i haven't had a full night of sleep in... wow, i can't even remember, probably due to lack of sleep.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
When I go to sleep, Freya usually will sleep on my legs. After a few hours ( or if I get up to use the restroom), she'll usually pick a new spot to rest. I have a "pod" right next to the bed ( it's shown in the profile pic I'm using atm), which she usually uses, but sometimes she'll sleep elsewhere then, or even before.

One thing that helps a lot with her not waking me up is that she can come and go as she likes, because I have a cat flap on the bedroom door. occasionally, she'll be difficult and I will need to lock the flap and kick her out, but that's pretty rare now that she's a couple of years old.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has laid on or nearest to my head almost every night for 15ish years.... Sometimes I don't sleep well. Sometimes I go to bed a LOT later and so she is already asleep for the night (I guess, "for the night" is on HER terms lol) However I find that if I wake up in the middle of the night and she isn't there I almost panic that something is wrong and go looking for her.... She normally HAS to be by my head and HAS to have her paws draped over my wrist and my bf tells me he wakes up in the night and in the morning and she is usually sitting right at my head staring directly at me like she is watching over me. He thinks it is weird but I love it lol.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista has always slept in the bed with me. Usually spooning. Big spoon or little spoon. Since her pancreatitis, she still shares the bed with me but sleeps at the foot now. And by the foot, I mean right where I want to put my feet. She takes up a couple of feet but forces me to sleep diagonally. Since we started mirtazapine, I don't get more than a few hours of sleep before she wants to be fed again. As long as she's getting better. And she certainly seems so!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old are your cats? If they are relatively young, they may get over the early morning aggravation as they age.
That's reassuring. They're both fairly young, Celeste is just over 6 months and Ramses is just about 6 months. Some nights they are fine and let us sleep, but most of the time Ramses gets up around 5am and starts playing with either Celeste, our hair, or just being plain annoying and walking all over us. We've had to get up these past few mornings and shut him out. He does meow but it's not too bad. Once we get up (at around 6:15 or so) we get ready and then feed them, so hopefully by delaying the feeding a bit it's not unintentionally rewarding the behavior.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You guys are lucky! Shadow sleeps not only on the bed, but on ME.

She will align herself on my back when I'm in bed and just doze off. The other night she had her head right next to mine as she was perched on my upper back.

I think the worse part is when I really have to pee,and I get the tiny cat punches in my kidneys as shes walking around on my back.

Anyhow, Shes gotten into the habit of waiting until I'm asleep before climbing in the bed with me. If she does something I don't like, I politely pick her up and put her on the floor. She gets the idea after doing that a few times.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From 6:00AM til 11:00PM, our bedroom door is open and everyone is free to sleep in there.
But at night, it's cat free because of the wrestle mania at 3:00AM, chase games so loud you'd think there was a cattle stampede, using my face as a trampoline or freeway, and suddenly playing "attack the toes sticking out of the blanket" is not on my top 5 list.
The dogs that sleep in our room are the oldest and the quietest, and as they age they're allowed that extra perk.
(Any dog or cat that's really old or sick sleep in our room, most sick cats don't want to play Indy 500 all night, so we can sleep but keep an ear out for them if they need us.)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She has laid on or nearest to my head almost every night for 15ish years.... Sometimes I don't sleep well. Sometimes I go to bed a LOT later and so she is already asleep for the night (I guess, "for the night" is on HER terms lol) However I find that if I wake up in the middle of the night and she isn't there I almost panic that something is wrong and go looking for her.... She normally HAS to be by my head and HAS to have her paws draped over my wrist and my bf tells me he wakes up in the night and in the morning and she is usually sitting right at my head staring directly at me like she is watching over me. He thinks it is weird but I love it lol.
When I first brought in my cat Coco she would rub against my face and wrap her body around me. After a few months she would sleep over my head or side and chew my watch band. After almost a year she sleeps at the edge of my bed. Her confidence has greatly improved with my other 2 cats

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the time Missy sleeps in my bed and she usually goes to sleep before I do. She likes to be close to me and - lucky me (!) - she never wakes me up in the morning. She will patiently wait for me to open my eyes before starting to meow.

calikitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
one of ours likes to sleep on the bed with the humans, the other likes to sleep on the floor. they behave so well if there is only one in the bedroom, but if they are both in there they do. not. stop. playing. we have a dog that sleeps in on the bedroom floor too and she seems nonplussed at their shenanigans.

i have been swapping which one sleeps in the bedroom and which sleeps in the bathroom until they hopefully realize they can't both be in the bedroom at night unless they settle down. any advice? long term when we're more confident they won't hurt themselves or shred the furniture they'll likely sleep wherever they want.

Bears Keeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Bear sleeps in my bedroom every night most of the time on the two pillows I leave on the bed for him right next to me. He does wake me up at different times during the night most of all just climbs up on my chest or my side. When I wake up he is usually lightly pawing my face or putting his nose to my nose or his cheek to my cheek I just pet him let him purr he usually rolls over on his back and wants a tummy and chest rub. I don't get upset at him waking me I made a commitment to give him a happy home and lots of love. He is 6 months now I got him two months ago from a animal shelter he is part Maine Coon and was placed in the shelter from one month old. I feel so bad for him when I think about that being separated from his mother at one month old. A very interesting thing happened the other day. I had been sick and had a lot of pain in my right foot. That night before he came and slept up my the pillows he laid down over the top of my right foot. He stayed there for awhile and when I started to go to sleep he came up by the pillow. I woke up in the middle of the night and he was still awake as if he was watching over me and he did not do his normal wake me up routine. When the alarm went off he was still laying there wide awake. Was that just a coincident or was he in his own way trying to help me heal.

CherGal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night,I was laying on my back with Peaches sleeping on my legs. I sit up to scratch my knee then Peaches jumps up and gives a loud hiss! When I went to bed, Peaches was already on it. She growled and hissed until I settled down. Who is the owner of my bed? Is it impossible to get a cat like her to accept me as the owner of my apt,not her? View attachment 252668
That is too cute! I told hubby the other day that our eldest cat looks at us like "This is my home, you are ever so lucky I let you stay here" lolol

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Busy goes through phases. You know how they say cats like routine? Well, other than food, I don't think mine does. For a few weeks, she has to fall asleep on the bed near my feet, another few weeks its in the underbed drawers, then it's the couch...and so on. It's the same with toys and hangout spots. But she hates a closed door. So, we don't generally lock her out of the bedroom, especially since she learned how to open the door. But when she's in a phase where she walks all over us at night, my boyfriend always threatens that it's time to lock her out.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the more appropriate term is I sleep in their bed.

IMG_20180912_212556.jpg

Link usually gets antsy around 3-4am but I am a sound sleeper and he rarely wakes me up. He does wake up my parents who were responding to him for a long time but are now trying to break the habit. Rocket sleeps very soundly until 4-5am most nights. So soundly that sometimes I freak out that something is wrong with her; we had an earthquake that woke me up (4.2) and she slept right through it. She will lean on the door and "knock" if she needs my attention before I am awake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But at night, it's cat free because of the wrestle mania at 3:00AM, chase games so loud you'd think there was a cattle stampede, using my face as a trampoline or freeway, and suddenly playing "attack the toes sticking out of the blanket" is not on my top 5 list.
:lol:

I highly relate.

If it was just one of them, they would probably behave fine. But Celeste gets instigated by Ramses, and then it's exactly what you described.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only Stretch routinely sleeps next to me, but Burdock will make his presence known from time to time. We tried closing the door at night, and the paintwork suffered for it.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Only during the winter! Gwen liked to sleep on my feet, and did so consistently almost every night in the winter. During the summer, she got too hot, and would curl up on my laundry bag instead.

Juniper is more of a kamikaze snuggler. She will occasionally snuggle up on my feet as I'm going to bed, but seems to prefer curling up in my armpit. She doesn't stay with me all night, but often in the morning will come back up for a few hours of snuggles. If she can find a hand outside of the covers, she will dive-bomb her little head into it to try to get me to scratch her under the chin. If she can't, she will usually just curl up quietly.

I have one of those sunrise alarm clocks that gets gradually brighter, and both cats were very tuned in to it. They get a half-hour warning that I'll be up soon, and are always waiting around for me to get out of bed by the time it finally goes off.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the more appropriate term is I sleep in their bed.

View attachment 252759

Link usually gets antsy around 3-4am but I am a sound sleeper and he rarely wakes me up. He does wake up my parents who were responding to him for a long time but are now trying to break the habit. Rocket sleeps very soundly until 4-5am most nights. So soundly that sometimes I freak out that something is wrong with her; we had an earthquake that woke me up (4.2) and she slept right through it. She will lean on the door and "knock" if she needs my attention before I am awake.
The more I hear about snowshoes turning their humans into slaves the more I think I need 1 or 5. Love their spunk and moxie. :cool2: