Do your cats share?

kitcatmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Normally when I pick up cat toys I get something that has two or three of the same thing, like mice or balls or something. They do have a few things there is one of (a bird that makes noise, a rubber worm) they never really go after the same toy at once. Actually one cat plays with toys more than the other.
Anyway today I had the one cat in mind when I found this long tube thing, that's supposed to be a mouse, it's filled with cat nip and it's more like a chew you than one that's batted around. Well they both love it, and try to take it from each other. I'm sure it's because it's new but it's kind of funny.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our Bengals Lilia and Makena share some things, but not everything. Makena is a third larger and much stronger and faster than Lilia - he can sometimes bully her a bit when he is asserting his alpha catness. They share the cat scratchers very well, they are pretty good with the toys but sometime one "claims" a certain toy and gets upset if the other takes it. They share my wife and I very well and never show any jealousy. There is a window perch in the back room that belongs to Makena and he won't let Lilia near it. They share food, each taking turns out of a common dish, even if it is a special treat.

Recently we added a stone mantle behind the woodstove, at first they shared it and would both be up on it. Then Makena started to bully Lilia off of it, we told him "no" a few times and now he stopped using it - I think he thought we meant he was not allowed on it (yes, he obeys that well.) We are working on getting him to go back on it because it is an ideal cat spot: they can watch the bird feeders while toasting their butts by the wood stove.  

The disputed mantle

Sharing a toy

Sharing a window sill

Sharing a sunny window perch

csts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately my cats share nearly everything. The "unfortunately" part refers mainly to the sharing of food and water bowls and the litter box. No matter how many times I try to redirect them to their own bowls, they insist on sampling the food out of the other's bowl. ...Even though I feed them both the exact same thing in the same portions at the same time, in the same room. My father, who's had cats much longer than me, says that they are competition eaters. Sakura's previous owner brought her over with own litter box and she used to use it regularly, but in the last two months, she now refuses to use it and uses Charvone's box instead. Neither of them will use Sakura's box, and when I try to place them in there to let them know it's there for them to use, they get jump out and run away, acting they're scared of that box. Char-Char doesn't care that she's using his litter box at all.

The good part is that Charvone and Sakura do share toys and spaces in the house. They are not territorial at all and seem to enjoy each other's company for the most part. I try not to inadvertently cause them to compete over a single toy by getting another similar toy out for the latecomer or getting my husband to play with the other at the same time.

garrettmarvelwi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Unfortunately my cats share nearly everything. The "unfortunately" part refers mainly to the sharing of food and water bowls and the litter box. No matter how many times I try to redirect them to their own bowls, they insist on sampling the food out of the other's bowl. ...Even though I feed them both the exact same thing in the same portions at the same time, in the same room. My father, who's had cats much longer than me, says that they are competition eaters. Sakura's previous owner brought her over with own litter box and she used to use it regularly, but in the last two months, she now refuses to use it and uses Charvone's box instead. Neither of them will use Sakura's box, and when I try to place them in there to let them know it's there for them to use, they get jump out and run away, acting they're scared of that box. Char-Char doesn't care that she's using his litter box at all.

The good part is that Charvone and Sakura do share toys and spaces in the house. They are not territorial at all and seem to enjoy each other's company for the most part. I try not to inadvertently cause them to compete over a single toy by getting another similar toy out for the latecomer or getting my husband to play with the other at the same time.
I have one cat now, but I remember having the same thing when I used to have 2 cats. The small cat was a fast eater and when he's done he would go and try to eat his sister's food, and she would let him even though she's older and stronger. I used to have to keep and eye on her until she finished her food.

katie joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Only had my rescue cats for two weeks, but so far yes. They seem to share most things. Food/water bowls, litter trays and certain areas of the house. But they are now trying to find their own space. I think Jimmy has insecure and gets jealous. So I can't play with them by myself in the same room. Jimmy will fight Duchess. I work from home, so I have to wait till my partner comes home from work so we can both play with them in the same room together. Jimmy is getting better now that I have set up small areas/boxes in rooms which he can call his own, but mostly they both share everything.