Do your cats like stella’s Freeze dried food?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m thinking of adding it to Jackie’s diet. If your cats like it, what flavor. I’m to wary of the raw food being mishandled so Jackie eats 4/5 wet.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mine liked Stella & Chewy’s Duck Duck Goose (freeze dried), but I’ve switched to Northwest Naturals Freeze Dried Turkey because I like the ingredients better. They love it. Iris refuses all commercial frozen raw so I couldn’t go that route. But 99% of their diet is homemade raw; the freeze dried is for the occasional treat as is the Rawz canned food.

The freeze dried has more carbs than I’d like, and the bone content can be troublesome for my two seniors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never tried raw or freeze dried. So I was looking to buy 1-3 sample bag (or small) to try out over the next month, to see if he likes it. If he does I will add it to his diet.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats like the S&C freeze-dried foods but as Tobermory Tobermory mentioned, they're most likely very bony to feed a lot of. (The phosphorus level was extremely high when I called them some years ago... I'm not sure if anything has changed, in either the bone content or how much information they reveal about their foods.) I did sometimes use S&C as a topper until a year or two ago.

Our cats also enjoy Northwest Naturals; I feed freeze-dried chicken and turkey. Our cats also don't like many frozen foods. The one exception is Stella & Chewy's Stella's Selects, though they don't always like the turkey. They are cats!

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope my cat does (duck too here), since I had to import a small bag from US and definitely cannot return it.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine like Chicken and Turkey, not much Duck. They get 2 PC per day per cat as snack without rehydrated. Several years ago when they were eating as part of meal (rehydrated at that time), I had one bad batch which contained lots of little sharp bone. That made me stopped using it, then this time around I totally forgot that incident and started to use as snack again. So far no issue. I just need to remind myself to crumble & check if there is any sharp bone in it time-to-time.

Hope your kitty will enjoy it!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several years ago when they were eating as part of meal (rehydrated at that time), I had one bad batch which contained lots of little sharp bone.
Yes, I had that happen a couple times, too!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my guy eats quite a bit of Stella and Chewy freeze dried. But I have to tell you, he doesn't like chicken, nor turkey, nor duck, so we're very limited to the CAT flavors. Since they add taurine to the dog foods, we use more of the dog than the cat flavors, and then I supplement with extra freeze dried muscle meat from Zesty Paws. I've been doing this for years now with no issue. Since he's a senior, he gets a checkup twice a year with bloodwork and so far so good. Of course, I would NOT do that if they didn't add that extra taurine. Used to make my own, but that scared me more than doing what I'm doing now. Call me paranoid I just wish they would have things like lamb in the CAT version. Makes no sense. Oh well...(and I do stay away from the fish flavors too...too much bone already!)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista doesn't like them rehydrated. I worry about the bone content with her IBD. But she loves them when I grind them in a coffee grinder and sprinkle over her food like a topper.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nora LOVES the duck! She is eating it right now. I just give her a handful and she snacks on it throughout the day. She doesn't even care when it sits out and gets a bit dry as gross as that is. She eats it still frozen.

KatMc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve fed a variety of Northwest Naturals and Stellas, personally i felt that my two kids were becoming dehydrated. When I would gently pinch their skin between their shoulders (skin turgor test), it stayed tented too long in my opinion. Their energy seemed down, and their gums were seemingly too pale. Urine was not as much and more concentrated than “normal”. Since I quit kibble, My cats don’t drink much water even though I put fresh down all the time for the few times they do. I bought a fountain, tried for a month and gave up...no interest. I tried adding more water to the Stella food to rehydrate, but they didn’t like that idea. I tried adding bone broth too, no luck. So I donated the NN and now I give what’s left of the bag of SC as a treat now and again, but made the jump to feed fresh raw. The cats love it, have more energy, and no more dehydration issues. My experience may not be what you experience, but wanted to share my experience so that if you try them, you would know to watch for dehydration issues. Best wishes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

I stuck with mostly wet. The dehydrated food I crumbled and stuck with their dry food. I didn’t like how hard it was for them to eat unless it was crumbled/powdered. I will try rehydrating it but given how picky shack is about wet food, I doubt it. He gets lil soup more often. I have been saving the rest of his bag ‘just in case’ with this pandemic. I will try it when we are at Nana’s. When his brother, sister & the other 2 resident cats are around to gobble up any left overs .... Jackie suddenly likes the wet food he snubbed 2 days ago! 🙄

I might try bone broth and see how it goes with the dehydrated food BUT with this pandemic I’m struggling to get his regular canned food!

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mia absolutely LOVES Stella and chewy freeze dried. It’s really expensive though and she doesn’t like it mixed with water so I just use it as a treat and feed her frozen raw instead.
But she acts like she hasn’t eaten in 20 years when I get out the Stella and Chewy’s bag of food.

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats refuse to eat freeze dried raw food. I tried but they just say no. I ended up crumbling it up and using the rest as toppers, which they were ok with. They just don't like to eat rehydrated freeze dried food.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our guy loved the S&C freeze dried Tummy Ticklin' Turkey then all of a sudden wouldn't eat it anymore. :dunno: I withheld it for a few days then tried again but he still wouldn't eat it so it's sitting in the cupboard for now.