Do your cats know when you're sad - and do they respond?

Disneyfreakomg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I truly think cats and other animals have a sense that we don't, or have lost, they need this to survive. Just like people, some are more nurturing/comforting than others.The cat I yell at the most for tripping me, and push away when I'm trying to eat, etc. is the most loving, concerned little girl I've ever had. I feel extremely guilty when she is right there when I cry over a touching TV show or am hurt. She insists on climbing up onto my chest as high as she can get and nuzzles and headbuts. She even cries out loud when there is yelling going on, or another cat is hurt. My Burt was another one, he always came to us and stared at us so concerned when we were sad. He would meow too.

I dont undertsnd why some say cats don't feel anything. They do. My Angel cried when i did but then would comfort me. She was truly and always be my fur buddy. RIP Angel.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had mine for very long but when I was ill the other day, Toffee seemed to realise as he makes a pigeon-like noise when he is worried or frustrated, and he was repeating this noise to me.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my mom's dog died,Jack kitty camped out on mom's chest all day.

My ex girlfriend says Jack always lays on her when she feels depressed.

And tho I don't get to see him often,the second he sees me he becomes my cat again until I leave. He knows what the people he loves need. Don't ever try to tell me cats don't know how we feel.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. No difference if I'm upset. My cat Maggie does give a sad meow because Coco will not play with her and Maggie hides when she's upset about it. Sorry sight to see.

Last edited:

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my cat Susie when i was a kid. She generalky wasnt a cuddler-slep on the foot of the bed instead of snuggling with me, wasnt really a lap cat... unless i was crying. if i went in my room and sat on the bed and cried she'd come over and push into my lap nd INSIST i pat her-she never did this any other time. and she didnt do it if i was singing, or yelled, or sneezed-only when i was crying. im convinced she knew, and cared. she made me feel better back then, and ill always be grateful for her ❤

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Patch and Baby both meow loudly whenever I'm sad or angry. The others really try to comfort me. When I lost Amara, every single cat in this household just got a little nicer and cuddlier, even the ones that usually weren't. I was covered in cats for the first few days, we mourned together. :grouphug::redheartpump:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our first Persian boy, Neeko, came to us as a kitten. My youngest child was in pre-school back then and spent the most time with him. He bonded very closely with her and when she was home sick he was glued to her side. :lovecat3: He slept in her bed and was her shadow.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would suggest that cats are much like people,a product of both nurture and nature. Some will be there when you're having issues and some will not. Or cat Pepe lives his life separate from everyone else. He does allow us to give him scratchies when we walk by him,but he doesn't socialize much with people...tho he is not afraid of skittish. He was raised by an old man who never petted him,and thus it took a while before he could be petted without nipping at us. Obviously a nurture issue,since it just took us teaching him that scratchies were a good thing. But he will never be a loving,cuddling cat. But damn if he ain't the most beautiful pure bred silver tabby we have ever seen.

RenaeJane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted two kittens, they are now both four months old. I recently hurt my leg quite badly, I was home alone and tripped on a metal tool box. I fractured my tibia. I remember waiting for the ambulance and both of my boy kittens came up and sat on me as I waited, both climbing up to my face and cuddling right into me. It's the only time both my kittens have sat on me at one time. They didn't leave my side for 45 minutes until the ambulance arrived. It was just the sweetest and my partner told me once I arrived home that both my kittens were looking all over the house and did not leave the front door. They both slept on my bed and cuddled me for weeks. I love both my kittens so much. They have always been affectionate but this was something else. They wouldn't even eat their food unless their food bowels were next to me and would come straight back to me. I love my cats lol.

Magspeed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat moo moo is also in independent kitty. But whenever i come home from work depressed he will lay beside my and just put his paws against me untill he falls asleep. Any other time he just lays on the floor. But when im upset hes always there for me.

Jenniferdcpdx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My last cat, the first one that was mine as an adult, always seemed concerned if I was crying. She would come up to me immediately and look in my face and sometimes, oddly, would bite my chin. Today something reminded me of the day I had to put her down a couple years ago—she was 21.5 years old! Anyway, I started crying pretty hard as it was the first time I’d let myself think about it in awhile. My 4 month old kitten got up and came over to peer in my face. She actually did it twice.
So yeah, they know. I’m not sure what they are thinking, but it made me feel a little better.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Boris would definitely notice if I was sad. He would come over to where I was sitting, stand up on his hind legs and look closely at my face, as if to say, "you OK, buddy?" It always helped. When I broke my leg he slept with me every night for a month. He almost never slept in the bed before that. I lost him April of '16 and still miss my good friend. :rbheart:

FarawayDawn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy cat, Toshiro, Shiro for short- definitely knows when I'm sad or upset. I recently suffered a major bout of depression and was suicidal. He usually sleeps at the foot of my bed, but curled up beside my pillow every night. He headbutts me when I'm down, snuggles when I'm sad, and when I cry he tries to paw my cheeks. He laid with me the whole day after my lumbar puncture and only left for food or the litter box and always came right back. My girl cats don't really care affection is definitely on their terms. Shiro is very empathic though and always knows when you need a hug or a little headbutt.

He was there when my father died, he was there for my lumbar puncture, he was there for my depression and my worst days. This cat knows better than most humans when something is off with me.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats know i have bad allergies sometimes i have sneezing fits like 5 or more right after each other graycie will always come to me and give a meow like are you ok? :lol:i also seen it in my sisters short hair persian would meow that way to my gf when she would get emotional from school or something dumb i did