Do Your Cats Have Their Favorite Human?

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe this is me projecting human emotions on him, but it seems that Marx has picked his favorite - me! :D

Truth to be told, I am the one in charge of the little fellow (brushing, nail clipping, litter box cleaning, and let's not count the hours spent on the internet researching cat nutrition and all the other stuff :D), my husband feeds him when I'm not around and plays with him - but I don't really think Marx is aware of that. He actually should like him more, since he connects only good stuff with him.

But he only goes for cuddles to my husband if I'm not home, otherwise he either wants to be by himself or right on top of me! I tease my husband that that is happening because Marx knows that he is secretly a dog person :D

Maybe it's because he's a boy? But that's again projecting human attributes on to a cat.

How about your babys? Do they have "favourites"? And do they prefer the caretaker or the passive parent? :D

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver is my soul cat and he prefers me. Others feed him as well as me but he's almost always by my side or in the same room apart from when he's in his cardboard box. In fact, I think it's 50/50 between me and the box.
Chubchub has the biggest bond with my grand daughter.
Betty is pretty even handed between us all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oliver is my soul cat and he prefers me. Others feed him as well as me but he's almost always by my side or in the same room apart from when he's in his cardboard box. In fact, I think it's 50/50 between me and the box.
Chubchub has the biggest bond with my grand daughter.
Betty is pretty even handed between us all.
Who's the big guy in your avatar? He is gorgeous!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee and Fudge both seem to prefer me, though Toffee is also very fond of my mother. Everyone who has seen us together says that Toffee and Fudge and I have somewhat of a special bond; and they can tell that we love each other very much.
Both boys however also seem to take quite a liking to one of my friends whenever he comes to visit. Toffee in particular enjoyed playing with him and sitting on his lap.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah. Gohan is daddy's cat, through and through. He will come when called by him 100% of the time. If I call him, it's maybe 30%? I've had him in my lap exactly twice, when Randall was asleep or not home. He crawls into Randall's lap everyday. Don't get me wrong, I believe he loves me and shows me affection, but it pales compared to the adoration Randall gets.

When we adopted Olive, Randall wanted to make sure he would not be the territory in a massive war, so he stepped back and let me be more "bonded" with her. I am her favorite person, and if she is feeling unsure she will run to me for safety but she's not super picky and sits on either of us depending on whose lap is comfier at the time.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago my partner and I adopted two kittens from a shelter. From the very beginning I was Sam's human, Isabelle laid claim to my partner.
Tragedy struck the beginning of this year. Isabelle suddenly passed away, Sam suffered a serious injury, and my partner was diagnosed with cancer and spent a long time in the hospital.
Ever since my partner returned home Sam has stuck to her like glue. She is really his human now. He still loves me and seeks my attention, but my partner is his world. I think their shared grief of losing Isabelle brought them closer together. It warms my heart to see them together and sometimes it feels like Isabelle is watching over them both, showing them that they can heal through their love for each other.:redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a similar experience. While still living with my mom I had a cat (Diego) who was my soulmate. He slept in my bed, I cared for him (my mom wasn't really a pet person, she accepted him in the house just because she knows how much I love cats) and I still love him dearly.

Anyway, a few years after we got him, my mom had to undergo a hysterectomy. After she returned from the hospital, she had to rest for over a month - Diego wouldn't leave her side. Even when she was allowed to go for shorter walks, he would follow her like a little dog. Since then the two of them are BFFs, so when I left home I left him also since he no longer was my cat but hers. Cats are truly amazing animals.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe so. Shade was supposed to have been my son's cat but he bonded with me and Noka has bonded with my wife and became her lapcat. Each of them will visit everyone else but they usually hang out with their fav human.

Last night, Shade went to sleep on me while I was in bed and Noka did the same with my wife as she was in bed. I woke up these morning to find both cats laying asleep between us and the dogs laying on the floor in the corner.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several of our beloved furbabies have definitely shown a preference for my ex. WHY, IDK. :please::livid::argh:The way Birman princess Tashi and Snowshoe kitten-cat Sishya sidled up to him, batting their eyes, wafting their tails and mewing, you'd think he was some big handsome male cat. *Or an unending supply of fresh fish* :yummy:

But now that it's just "three and me", I have the satisfaction of knowing that feral Baby Su is, was and will always be bonded to ME ONLY. :happycat: :cloud9: *And that's the way I like it!* :yess: Tarifa and Elvis love me, too. *I'm their Chief Can Opener, after all!* ;)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several of our beloved furbabies have definitely shown a preference for my ex. WHY, IDK. :please::livid::argh:The way Birman princess Tashi and Snowshoe kitten-cat Sishya sidled up to him, batting their eyes, wafting their tails and mewing, you'd think he was some big handsome male cat. *Or an unending supply of fresh fish* :yummy:

But now that it's just "three and me", I have the satisfaction of knowing that feral Baby Su is, was and will always be bonded to ME ONLY. :happycat: :cloud9: *And that's the way I like it!* :yess: Tarifa and Elvis love me, too. *I'm their Chief Can Opener, after all!* ;)
Our friends husband did not want any cats. Our friend found a kitten and took him home and husband was like "OK, he's cute. He's staying, but just one."
2 days later (I'm not exaggerating, it was literally 2 days later) she found another and took HER home, and husband was like :eviltongue: but let her stay.
Both cats adored this guy. They were always with him, always hanging around him, and eventually won him over and then some--he adores them and would shank anyone who harmed them on purpose!
I think sometimes they know who is "cool" with them and who maybe is a bit not happy with them, pick that person out and make it their goal to win them over!

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat loves us both, but she loves me that extra little bit more. She talks to me more and she follows me from room to room in a way that she doesn’t with my partner. And it’s me she hangs all over in the morning, when we all wake up. Even if he get up earlier and feeds her, she often heads back to the bedroom to wait until I get out of bed.

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
George is more my cat. He will settle in my lap frequently if I sit down. Louie will sit in my lap, more now than when he first came home. Louie will demand attention from my husband sometimes. George has just in the last week or so gotten where he will sit with my husband briefly. Hoping he will do that more as my husbands really likes cats and was very instrumental in these kitties coming to live with us.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loves us both, but she loves me that extra little bit more. She talks to me more and she follows me from room to room in a way that she doesn’t with my partner. And it’s me she hangs all over in the morning, when we all wake up. Even if he get up earlier and feeds her, she often heads back to the bedroom to wait until I get out of bed.
A few years ago we got a really, REALLY nice looking dog that was an amazing agility prospect. 10 months old. They gave him to us, no money needed.
I was so smitten and was doing everything I could to make this dog "mine" but after a few days it was obvious that I wasn't the chosen one.
No matter, one year later we got a little pup from a rescue. I am so bonded to these dogs (and cats!), but for different reasons individually, but this one just kind of came in and said "Hey, you. Yeah, you, stupid, you're the one I'm after" and we just clicked.
My other dogs past and present and I have/do work so well together but this little guy is like a mind reader and can read my cues before I give them. We've achieved dual performance championships together, and that was within the first 5 years.
Sometimes that really special one walks into your house, stares you in the eye and says "you're what I came here for"!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
George is more my cat. He will settle in my lap frequently if I sit down. Louie will sit in my lap, more now than when he first came home. Louie will demand attention from my husband sometimes. George has just in the last week or so gotten where he will sit with my husband briefly. Hoping he will do that more as my husbands really likes cats and was very instrumental in these kitties coming to live with us.
One of our girls was really never anyone's. She liked us both and was nice and affectionate enough but never was a "pet" cat, more like a cat that lived with us.
I've talked about this before but one day she was laying on the couch and I sat down to read. She didn't move and began purring. I scooted towards her slowly until I was next to her, and she continued purring. I set down my book, pulled her into my lap and held her like a baby. She tensed up, with that "u gonna kill me, huh" look, and I said "we really need to hang out more." She relaxed. Started kneading, blinking.
Since then, she's like my kid. She's still a very independent gal but formerly I'd sit down and she'd watch me from afar, happy with our arrangement, but now she's ALWAYS in my lap, ALWAYS following me around and tripping me =D
Hoping the same good success is in store for George and your husband! Sometimes it takes them time. This cat was well into adulthood (5 years or so) when this happened. They're never too old to change IMO.

frankiecatsle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cats definitely prefer me. Most likely it's because I'm the one that's home with them all day which means I'm the one that feeds them the most, cuddles them, plays with them, etc. When we first got Kitty Cat, she immediately clung to me instead of my fiance. :D About a year later we decided she should have a friend (she always loved playing with my mother's cats) so I told fiance he could pick the next since I could tell he was lowkey in his feels about Kitty Cat always preferring me.

So he adopts Frankie Catsle from a shelter and the first few days, she adored him. I mean she was glued to his side. But over time she became my cat too and only goes to his lap when mine is full. I don't mean to hoard our cats' affection but I can't say I mind. :lol: