Do your cats ever have days where they don’t seem interested in playing?

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is 2. I’ve posted here many many times. I’m basically anxious 24/7 in general and I’m taking medication/going to therapy for it so that’s great BUUUUT I still can’t help but worry about everything. Especially the cat. I love him to death. I do everything to make sure he has the best life possible. He’s got tons of toys, treats, scratchers, two cat trees, cat shelves, and I always leave a screened window open so he can smell outside and bird watch, which he loves to do. I play with him every single day as much as he’ll allow me to. He does play everyday. But some days it seems as tho he’s not interested in playing at all and would rather laze around/nap. He had a vet checkup not too long ago and is healthy. He eats drinks and uses the litter box just fine. It just seems like sometimes he either wants to play but won’t. Or he doesn’t want to at all and it’s super difficult to get him to play. I try to make sure he gets at least 30 minutes-1 hour each day of play but it’s so hard sometimes to even pull that out of him. Getting another cat is out of the question at the moment. We tried and it did not go very well, he’s been the only cat all his life and did not take kindly to her during the three months she was with us. We’d like to try again maybe when we’re in a house with more space and not an apartment. I am just not sure what else I can do that I’m not doing already. I always worry he will get depressed and bored if he’s not already even though he has TONS of stuff. He sleeps a lot. I know cats do sleep often but it just seems like he’s sleeping more than he used to. Am I over analyzing this?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
For starters, everything sounds like it's going just fine 😊
There are absolutely days where cats won't/don't want to play. Same thing goes on those days where you don't want to get out of bed, or don't feel like having a meal. It's perfectly normal.
My only suggestion for possible more play would be try playing in the evening or towards the night. Cats are normally more active during the night and sleep a lot during the day, so try initiating play when he'll be at his most active.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For starters, everything sounds like it's going just fine 😊
There are absolutely days where cats won't/don't want to play. Same thing goes on those days where you don't want to get out of bed, or don't feel like having a meal. It's perfectly normal.
My only suggestion for possible more play would be try playing in the evening or towards the night. Cats are normally more active during the night and sleep a lot during the day, so try initiating play when he'll be at his most active.
Interestingly enough his biggest burst of energy is usually around 7:30 when I wake up. We play first thing in the morning before work. At night he used to play before bed, but nowadays it’s hit or miss. He usually goes to sleep instead around 11:00 lol. Sometimes he’ll play at night but it’s either in the morning or after I get home from work in the evening before dinner