Do your cats ever give you nightmares?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I woke up at 2 a.m. this morning after dreaming that I was being crushed to death by a lawnmower! All 13.5 lbs. of JC were curled up between my shoulder blades, he had his head pressed under my right ear, and was purring like a motorboat. He ain't heavy, he's my "smother(-mommy-with-love-in-the middle-of-the-night cat"!)

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago, I dreamed I was being chased, I ran down a dead end and turned to face whoever was chasing me. I could feel their breath on my face and see their eyes staring right into mine. I woke suddenly and Midnight was leaning over me, staring into my face, breathing on me!
I yelled, he ran, we both were freaked out!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some years back, I dreamed that a semi was idling in the front yard. Once I was fully awake, I could still hear it. That's when I realized that Itty Bit had her nose stuck in my ear and was purring.

I miss her. She was an ornery kitty but very affectionate, too.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only kind of. I usually sleep on my back and Snowball usually snuggles nicely against my side and rests his head on my arm.

There used to be a slight problem when our cat Midnight was alive. I would have a cat sleeping on each side of me, and they would both seem to keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger during the night. And then I would often find that having the two cats pressing against me from opposite sides would cause me to end up lying in strange twisted positions...kind of like a pretzel. I guess my nightmare was that the cats really were getting alot larger, and were about to completely take over the bed.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was pregnant, some neighborhood cats caused me to have a really strange nightmare. In the nightmare, our neighbor's 4 year old daughter was fatally injured when she tripped over a gardening tool we had left laying out in our yard. While she was dying, this little girl started making a really strange loud noise, the whole neighborhood heard the noise and came to our yard to watch, but wouldn't help the little girl. After hubby realized I was having a nightmare and woke me up, I still kept hearing that noise out in our yard. It turned out that all the noise was actually two tomcats right under our window having an extremely loud and prolonged fight...

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No nightmares yet, but I did wake to thumping in the bedroom a few nights ago. I looked around until I saw Molly, she was chasing her tail.

rfox

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
those stories are funny...sorry. I wouldnt have nightmares but would wake up really hot and feel kind of smothered. Amber would lay herself over my neck (when she was new)! now she just lays by my feet or by my side.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had just seen Cat People that night. I was mostly asleep when Hippocrates jumped up at the foot of the bed and started walking towards me. All I could think of was the big cats from the movie and I screamed. Funny when I think back on it!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At 4:45 this morning, I was ready to commit felicide. I was awakened by pathetic mewing and a closet door rattling. My first thought was that Rowdy had gotten shut up in a closet, last night. Stumbling into the hallway, I found her trying to get into the linen closet. Standing right next to her, egging her on, was her co-hort in crime - Buddy.

Buddy started out as a sweet, mild-mannered cat and Rowdy has taught him all of her naughty tricks!

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
.....He ain't heavy, he's my "smother (-mommy-with-love-in-the middle-of-the-night cat"!)
jcat: LMAO!!!!
too funny!!

I had a strange dream where I woke up in the night to HUGE MAN standing over my side of the bed and he tries to kill me. I hear my family yelling for me outside of the house but I am trapped and injured in my house. Throughout the dream I am running and hiding from this man. Every place I hid, I would find one of my cats injured... When I woke up, (In a cold sweat) I was pinned under my blanket by all four of my sleeping cats and a snoring husband... needless to say, I was awake for the rest of the night

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys crack me up!

The only nightmares I've had are about my children. I've drempt about each of them dying except the last one. The dreams are very vivid and I can feel everything around me. The smell of exhaust or gunpowder. The cold mud from the mudslide. Each child has died a different way.

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by DragonLady
You guys crack me up!

The only nightmares I've had are about my children. I've drempt about each of them dying except the last one. The dreams are very vivid and I can feel everything around me. The smell of exhaust or gunpowder. The cold mud from the mudslide. Each child has died a different way.
oooo....What a nightmare, Teresa! Right after my son was born I had a dream like that - freaked me out that my subconscious went there.....

kidsncats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, we think we've got "company" in the house we're renting. Footsteps when nobody is upstairs, odd little happenings, and Jeff swears he saw them out of the corner of his eye once. I was dozing and dreamed that I saw our guest walking around on our bed. That sure startled me awake, and I found Simon stalking his toy mouse around our legs.

kateang

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dreamt that Boy boy fell nine storeys down and before he fell, he waved bye bye to me... boy that freaked me out a whole lot... i broke out in cold sweat and I swear I'll never let that fella go near any window...

meezermobile

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had this dream once where my wife was doing experiments under ice covered lakes. She drove an orange truck with amber warning lights and it was real dreary. The nightmare part consisted of her using what she called "euthanasia cats". I objected but she said that they had problems anyway. She would tie them to a rope and they would swim to the bottom of the lake. They would reach the bottom and die or close to it, supposedly they carried instruments. When she pulled them to the surface she would break their necks for some reason and to top it all off they looked like our cat Abby! I must say that was one of the worst dreams I every had. *shivers*

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by meezermobile
I had this dream once where my wife was doing experiments under ice covered lakes. She drove an orange truck with amber warning lights and it was real dreary. The nightmare part consisted of her using what she called "euthanasia cats". I objected but she said that they had problems anyway. She would tie them to a rope and they would swim to the bottom of the lake. They would reach the bottom and die or close to it, supposedly they carried instruments. When she pulled them to the surface she would break their necks for some reason and to top it all off they looked like our cat Abby! I must say that was one of the worst dreams I every had. *shivers*
Holy Crap!!!!!! That's one disturbing dream.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I agree - that is really a disturbing dream, one I don't think I'd want to know the meaning of!

meezermobile

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah that one was unusual to say the least.

While where on the subject of dreams I should ask, can any of you make yourself have nightmares. I don't mean by eating but by the way you sleep. I've found that if I sleep on my stomach I am almost guaranteed to have a nightmare or something close to it. Sometimes I do it on purpose just to see what kind of craziness I will dream.