Do your cats come when called?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your cats come when you call for them by name or nickname?

Flora and Remy do usually but Maisie almost never wants to be near me anyway so she wouldn't respond if I called her name.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they want to! Since cats are so independent they have minds of their own. Mine come when called, usually because the only time I call them is for dinnertime. When they are doing something naughty, it is amusing to see the one who I am scolding look my way. i can say a particular cat's name and they will look up. If I yell, they all scatter.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Not really. I think they know by my tone if I'm calling them for dinner. Then again, they're usually sitting right there waiting for dinner, so I don't have to call them. :lol: If one of them sneaks outside, I call them but I'm also shaking a treat box at the same time, so that's what they are actually responding to.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 of my cats know their names (Mogy, Emily and Katy) and usually come running when called. My two newest additions (one of which probably never had a name, the other just doesn't react to the name given to her by her previous owner) have not learnt their names and I'm making no progress trying to teach them. I usually teach a cat its name by calling them any name I can think of until they at least look up and, although I may not use that name, at least I know how a name should sound to get some reaction.
I'd be grateful for any ideas. The 2 NO-NAMES both come running when I call one of the other 3 cats and that's not the result I'm looking for!:lol:

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats definitely know their names. If I call them to me by name (not here, kitty kitty, which is their mealtime call) when we are in the same room, most of the time no one will come. But if I call them when they are downstairs and I’m upstairs for instance, they will come more often. I think it’s because if they see me and nothing interesting is going on, they feel there is no reason to come over, but if they don’t see me, they think something interesting or tasty could be happening and they want to check it out.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes. All three cats will come when called. Two only if their names are called, the third comes to any name being called. We are pretty sure Fury thinks "Link" "Rocket" and "Fury" all mean variations on food. Fury comes within seconds every time, Rocket within a minute 90% of the time, Link within 3 minutes 85% of the time. The times they don't come are usually when they are distracted or don't want to come in. Although Link will sometimes pop out of a bush, get my attention and turn around like "I'm here Mom, busy, bye!"

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 of my cats know their names (Mogy, Emily and Katy) and usually come running when called. My two newest additions (one of which probably never had a name, the other just doesn't react to the name given to her by her previous owner) have not learnt their names and I'm making no progress trying to teach them. I usually teach a cat its name by calling them any name I can think of until they at least look up and, although I may not use that name, at least I know how a name should sound to get some reaction.
I'd be grateful for any ideas. The 2 NO-NAMES both come running when I call one of the other 3 cats and that's not the result I'm looking for!:lol:
A friend of mine says that cats are born with a name and it's our job to figure out what it is.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee always normally does, Fudge however only comes if you say food - he doesn't know his name, but knows the word food!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the time Carleton will come when I call his name but then I have so many nicknames I'm sure it confuses him. :lol:

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Belle knows her name and will come see what I’m up to when I call her.

I’ve been working on having her come and touch her nose to my finger when I say “Belle, come!” When she does, I click my tongue and give her a treat or set her dish down to eat.

Often, she’ll come, see I have her dish, then rub my legs. But I don’t put her dish down till she touches her nose to my finger. Yes, my schedule is on Kitty Standard Time!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, mine definitely do. They also respond if i call their name(s) when I hear them in another room and there is a spat or problem going on.