Do you think your cat would save your life?

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are countless videos of cats saving/coming to the rescue of people,kids,babies,being attacked.
Have had 3 cats: 2 of them when our dog became aggressive at me, cats came running to get in between and pawed at the dog.
Also, while on a second floor once watching TV, one of my cats came really meowing at me, then backed off when i went to pick her up...followed the cat downstairs and a boiling pot of water i forgot had boiled the water out and now starting to melt.

Paul Leclercq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ask this because my cat, Remy, is *very* protective. If he hears Flora or Maisie in distress he comes running and attacks whoever is distressing them (which is almost always me and most of the time it's an accident on my part while the other times it's trying to get Maisie in a kennel). I haven't been in any danger (God forbid I ever am) but I really believe that if someone was hurting me, Remy would attack the assailant.

Do you think, based on your cat's personality or even past experiences, that they could/would save your life? Has a cat ever saved you before?
I would like to inform how my cat of 10 years, Tulip, truly did save my life. My cat Tulip entered the one bedroom and started scratching my roommate's eyes. Akim, my roommate, assumed that Tulip wanted to play, until he saw her expression. Tulip lead him to living room, where I was lying on the sofa. I was covered in sweat, had relieved myself, wasn't breathing, had no pulse, and my eyes were wide open. I was dead. My glucose level had dropped so dramatically low that, yup, I died. My roommate Akim then called 911, whom instructed him to perform CPR until the paramedics arrived. I was rushed to hospital, where I was treated for 3 days. When I returned home, Tulip was in such shock to see me that she would not come back in from the outdoors. I live in Montreal and the temperature was -3 celcius. She finally re-entered, studying me to make sure that it was me, then didn't stop meowing for hours. Since that day, she follows me from room to room. Unbelievable. I call her, in addition to her name, "my little girl" and "pretty kitty", and answers to all names. She is a great lover of chocolate ice cream, which Akim feeds her, vanilla pudding which I feed her, but her favourite food is, of course, Montreal smoked meat, which I now buy for her on a regular basis, on top of whatever else she wants, on a regular basis. My little heroin!

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to inform how my cat of 10 years, Tulip, truly did save my life. My cat Tulip entered the one bedroom and started scratching my roommate's eyes. Akim, my roommate, assumed that Tulip wanted to play, until he saw her expression. Tulip lead him to living room, where I was lying on the sofa. I was covered in sweat, had relieved myself, wasn't breathing, had no pulse, and my eyes were wide open. I was dead. My glucose level had dropped so dramatically low that, yup, I died. My roommate Akim then called 911, whom instructed him to perform CPR until the paramedics arrived. I was rushed to hospital, where I was treated for 3 days. When I returned home, Tulip was in such shock to see me that she would not come back in from the outdoors. I live in Montreal and the temperature was -3 celcius. She finally re-entered, studying me to make sure that it was me, then didn't stop meowing for hours. Since that day, she follows me from room to room. Unbelievable. I call her, in addition to her name, "my little girl" and "pretty kitty", and answers to all names. She is a great lover of chocolate ice cream, which Akim feeds her, vanilla pudding which I feed her, but her favourite food is, of course, Montreal smoked meat, which I now buy for her on a regular basis, on top of whatever else she wants, on a regular basis. My little heroin!
Truly a wonderful "tail", P Paul Leclercq and we are all thankful for Tulip! *I do need to mention that chocolate is not at all good for cats. Maybe she would like vanilla ice cream? Or one with carob?*

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
not to hijack the thread, but additionally, P Paul Leclercq the vanilla pudding is sugar free? We're not trying in any way to take away from the situation you've described, which is amazing, but in order for her to live a healthy long life, the best way to spoil her is to be sure to feed her cat-specific food and treats, such as freeze dried venison, boar, minnows...

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
:spew: Um...no. We call Ozzy our Hall Monitor because at the first sign of distress--doorbell ringing, something falling on the floor, he hauls butt down the hallway and 'hides' in a bedroom, only peeking his head out from the safety of the doorway to see what's going on.

Zoe wouldn't even notice anything was going on. She's so oblivious to anything (except the sound of the treat box opening) that I've sometimes wondered if she's deaf. :lol:
Today I got a photo of the Hall Monitor in ‘action.’ :lol:

536F864C-D72C-450B-8EFD-6C4C946674FB.jpeg

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bridge boy Tik would of whenever anyone came in the house he would be two steps behind them with a cocky look on his face, as if he wanted them to try something he was more dog than cat. But my boy Patches is a lover not a fighter he would run and hide. As for Bandit if he realised I wouldn't be able to feed him he just might. Unfortunately he's more brawn than brain's. So might just ask them for treats.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on which cat and the problem. An "X" indicates that the cordinating cat would save me from either a health issue or an attack and whether or not they would eat me after the grieving period. (An "XX" in the "Eat" column indicates that the grieving period would be short if the food bowls are "too low.")

Medical / Attack/ Eat

Cat
Simon X / X / XX
Evangeline X / /
Tara X / X / XX
Fennimore X / X / X
Freya (Only if my husband was in danger) / X
Astrid / X / XX
Cassian / / X
Iroh ///
Xanthippe / / XX
Jasper / X X
Iris (Only if my husband was in danger) / X
Juniper / X X

Only Iroh would not do any of the above. Not because he does not love me or because he is not a hungry boy, but because he is extremely shy and would be afraid. He also patiently waits while the other cats eat before eating. With Simon, Tara, Astrid, and Xanthippe jumping in when the food was "too low," I would just be bones by the time he got around to it. My Fennimore is my baby and would probably cry while he ate my flesh, but he is a big boy, weighing in at 22 lbs, and needs to maintain his figure.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on which cat and the problem. An "X" indicates that the cordinating cat would save me from either a health issue or an attack and whether or not they would eat me after the grieving period. (An "XX" in the "Eat" column indicates that the grieving period would be short if the food bowls are "too low.")

Medical / Attack/ Eat

Cat
Simon X / X / XX
Evangeline X / /
Tara X / X / XX
Fennimore X / X / X
Freya (Only if my husband was in danger) / X
Astrid / X / XX
Cassian / / X
Iroh ///
Xanthippe / / XX
Jasper / X X
Iris (Only if my husband was in danger) / X
Juniper / X X

Only Iroh would not do any of the above. Not because he does not love me or because he is not a hungry boy, but because he is extremely shy and would be afraid. He also patiently waits while the other cats eat before eating. With Simon, Tara, Astrid, and Xanthippe jumping in when the food was "too low," I would just be bones by the time he got around to it. My Fennimore is my baby and would probably cry while he ate my flesh, but he is a big boy, weighing in at 22 lbs, and needs to maintain his figure.
Oh my goodness... Elphaba09 Elphaba09 ...I cannot decide if I should have offered 'virtual hugs'...or 'just laughing'...because your post is fantastic. :spew::lol::crackup:

By looking at your list...I only see Evangeline...as being useful or helpful one in this situation.
(I'll have to keep an eye out for a photo of her, on site.)
Would she maybe be strong enough, and feisty enough,...to guard your body...and fight off the other cats? That's my hope. :barfgreen::nervous::blush::wink:

Even though your Fennimore is your baby...ummm...the 'crying while eating you part'...is a big 'nope, won't go there'..part for me. hahaha. (So I basically crossed the helpful cats with the double XX's off the list.)
The good thing though, is that you have so many to choose from...and your whole gang...in my mind would band together...and fight off anyone. I could see one cat sounding the battle cry...and the rest getting brave ...and following.🤔

Thank you so much for the detailed list...and for the laugh of the day.
(I really just kind of have to ignore the "XX" column....since I know it's going to be true and practical...but just don't want to think about any of our animals eating us...at any point in time.:crackup::lol: Ahhh...your post is both informative, educational and hilarious, too.)

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness... Elphaba09 Elphaba09 ...I cannot decide if I should have offered 'virtual hugs'...or 'just laughing'...because your post is fantastic. :spew::lol::crackup:

By looking at your list...I only see Evangeline...as being useful or helpful one in this situation.
(I'll have to keep an eye out for a photo of her, on site.)
Would she maybe be strong enough, and feisty enough,...to guard your body...and fight off the other cats? That's my hope. :barfgreen::nervous::blush::wink:

Even though your Fennimore is your baby...ummm...the 'crying while eating you part'...is a big 'nope, won't go there'..part for me. hahaha. (So I basically crossed the helpful cats with the double XX's off the list.)
The good thing though, is that you have so many to choose from...and your whole gang...in my mind would band together...and fight off anyone. I could see one cat sounding the battle cry...and the rest getting brave ...and following.🤔

Thank you so much for the detailed list...and for the laugh of the day.
(I really just kind of have to ignore the "XX" column....since I know it's going to be true and practical...but just don't want to think about any of our animals eating us...at any point in time.:crackup::lol: Ahhh...your post is both informative, educational and hilarious, too.)

To be fair to my cats, they were all either ferals or desperate strays at one point in their lives. I would be okay with my cats eating me. Haha! If that helps any. I even told my husband as much, just in case I die while he is at work and the food bowl is low. (When I have flown, I would keep a note in my purse telling any plane crash survivors I was okay if they had to eat me to live. I would not want them feeling any guilt.)

Evangeline would likely try to save me if she saw something happening. She is deaf and would not hear any attack. She, like most of the other cats, is very in tune with my PTSD and anxiety and has been known to try to comfort me when I have the flu or some other sickness.

In an attack, my money is on Simon. While Simon would be the first to start eating me, at 17, he is still a beast of a cat. He is known for beating up large dogs and is very protective of me. My husband and I rarely argue, and we never raise our voices when we do; however, we can get a bit loud when we play certain board games. If Simon thinks my husband is getting too loud, he jumps on the table in front of me and stares down my husband. The first time he did it, he started growling and scared my husband. We try to recognize Simon's "Are you threatening her?" posturings before he jumps on the table just to keep things safe!

Because Tara and Simon are best friends, if he attacked, she would be right behind him. She is a whack-a-doodle and is crazy about me, so an attacker should be afraid!

Starting at the top and going left to right:
Tara, Astrid, Xanthippe, and Fennimore
Simon, Evangeline, Juniper, Jasper (orange), Iroh
Cassian, Iris, and Freya
cats12.jpg

FYI: Evangeline's full title is Her Royal Highness Evangeline Evaine Snow Princess Piggy Piggy the Benevolent Ruler of All.