Do you think trapping your cats in your bedroom all night with a loud TV blaring is cruel to the cats?

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is what my roommate does. She is hard of hearing. And she is one of those who has the TV on all night as background noise. The TV is loud because she is hard of hearing. I feel sorry for her cats. Cats have sensitive hearing. I really don't know how to broach the subject, if at all. I tend to worry about little things so maybe it's nothing to worry about.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure how much the noise would bother a cat if they have been around it a long time - it is possible that this cat has become used to the noise. My husband sometimes snores loudly - it drives me nuts, but I have never noticed Feeby even remotely being disturbed by it!!

If you two exchange holiday gifts, and you don't think you would offend her, you could always buy her a set of headphones to use at night. I suppose you could suggest to her that they would make it easier for her to hear whatever she is watching before she falls off to sleep. There are also headphones that are wireless.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son in law has his TV loud he is hard of hearing. They have two cat's who don't bother it's all they have known. My daughter on the other hand it drives her crazy she will turn it down and put subtitles on. ;) she isn't just being mean she is autistic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure how much the noise would bother a cat if they have been around it a long time - it is possible that this cat has become used to the noise. My husband sometimes snores loudly - it drives me nuts, but I have never noticed Feeby even remotely being disturbed by it!!

If you two exchange holiday gifts, and you don't think you would offend her, you could always buy her a set of headphones to use at night. I suppose you could suggest to her that they would make it easier for her to hear whatever she is watching before she falls off to sleep. There are also headphones that are wireless.
I know I couldn't sleep with headphones on. So I doubt that is a good solution. I can hear her TV in my room at the end of the hall. But it doesn't bother me or interfere with my sleep.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can understand why she blares the volume if she is hard of hearing, but why does she leave the T.V on all night? Yes, cats do have senstive hearing but they also are blessed with the ability to adjust.
Thanks. Why does anyone leave the TV on all night? I don't know. It's just something she's comfortable doing. My sister used to be the same way before she passed away. She played the TV all night. I suppose it drowns out their own thoughts. I personally cannot sleep with a TV on. I like my room to be quiet and dark. I am not personally bothered by her loud TV. I sleep with ear plugs. I just feel bad for her cats. She drags them to bed with her each night. They hang out in my room. She comes and gets them every night at bed time.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are ear buds, or even a Bluetooth type apparatus that are much smaller than actual headphones - just a thought...
Oh I don't know. I think the TV on in the background is just how she has grown up. She is 50 years old. I'm not trying to change her behavior. I just want to know if I should get the cats out of their by sharing with her my concern for their well-being.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My sister has to have white noise on in the background - things like waterfalls, etc. And, we grew up together in the same bedroom and never had that kind of stuff going on. So, that is just the way some people are/get to be. If you are not noticing any anxiety in the cats, it is probably not an issue.

But, you could also offer to let them stay in your room one night that she comes to get them - tell her you are giving her a break from the cats, if she wants one. You could also tell her that you use ear plugs to drown out her TV noise, and ask her about the two of you working out a solution for that. If you even mention it is bugging the cats, you are in essence telling her it is bugging you, so...

How old are these cats? If at least a few years old, they are probably much more 'carefree' about it than you are.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. Why does anyone leave the TV on all night?
My dad does and he doesn't even watch it, just "reads" the newspaper and sleeps on the couch :dunno:

Many TVs these days have a sleep feature that will turn off the tv after a specified time. The options are usually 30 minutes and 1 hour but you can probably set the exact time. TVs also have a closed caption feature that can be turned on so you can just read the text on the screen instead of blaring the volume up in order to hear.

If it's background noise the roommate wants, a fan or white noise machine will work just as well. A radio too but the volume might be cranked up all the way.

Does the roommate use hearing aids? If yes, maybe they need new batteries or adjustment?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I kind of doubt it will cause any damage or anything. I've seen cats that live in warzones and cats that ride on cruise ships, cats are adaptable as all hell. Besides, it's not like that's something that she is purposely doing for the sole purpose to harm her pets. I personally wouldn't bring it up. I'm more concerned with feline nutrition and things to worry about loud noise

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sister has to have white noise on in the background - things like waterfalls, etc. And, we grew up together in the same bedroom and never had that kind of stuff going on. So, that is just the way some people are/get to be. If you are not noticing any anxiety in the cats, it is probably not an issue.

But, you could also offer to let them stay in your room one night that she comes to get them - tell her you are giving her a break from the cats, if she wants one. You could also tell her that you use ear plugs to drown out her TV noise, and ask her about the two of you working out a solution for that. If you even mention it is bugging the cats, you are in essence telling her it is bugging you, so...

How old are these cats? If at least a few years old, they are probably much more 'carefree' about it than you are.
They are young. It's a mama and her kitten, 2 years and 8 months, respectively. I think I will just tell her her TV is bothering me, and ask her to turn it down, or use close-captions. She has lived here 8 months so it will be the first time I have ever complained about her TV. In truth, it doesn't bother me, or interfere with my concentration. Thank you.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont play the tv loud or even play music loudly around my cats. They definitely are sensitive, but also adaptable sometimes.
Can YOU sleep with the tv blaring like that? Maybe tell the roommate its bothering *you* and then she'll turn it down and the cats will benefit lol. Playing the tv too loud is SO annoying.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The tv on might be directing frequency away from the bed. I am environmentally sensitive to RF, electricity and EMF, There are times leaving the tv on makes it more tolerable for my easily irritated nervous system and there are times I have to keep it off because it adds to an irritating element. I don’t know why. It is an older tv. Maybe you could ask her to turn down the tv just a bit as it is keeping you up. Good luck