Do you think reintroduction would help?

gemmamiso

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey,

I have two cats- one is around four years old and the other is five. When we got the younger one, he was a really tiny kitten. He wanted to be friends with the older girl, who is quite skittish but not aggressive at all. Nowadays, he bullies her and she spends most of her time hiding. She is able to relax until he comes in the room and pounces on her. I don’t live at home anymore, but I’ll be back over Christmas break for around a week and I’m thinking of reintroducing them. Am I overreacting, or would reintroduction be a good idea? I’m just tired of hearing about the older cat being bullied by him, as she is much smaller. We already separate them for meal times because he tends to steal her food. Any advice would be appreciated!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the "bully" is doing it because its his idea of play, and that would be a common thing, then that would certainly continue after reintroduction. Theoretically, it could help with the confidence of the older one, but I don't know how likely it is since the pouncings will resume after the reintroduction. So, I don't think your over reacting, its natural to want to help, but it doesn't strike me as particularly likely to help. Reintroduction is more effective when a temporary situation causes a serious problem in a relationship, like one sees an outside cat and attacks the other inside cat. But even a small chance of helping could be worth it, thats your call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemmamiso

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the "bully" is doing it because its his idea of play, and that would be a common thing, then that would certainly continue after reintroduction. Theoretically, it could help with the confidence of the older one, but I don't know how likely it is since the pouncings will resume after the reintroduction. So, I don't think your over reacting, its natural to want to help, but it doesn't strike me as particularly likely to help. Reintroduction is more effective when a temporary situation causes a serious problem in a relationship, like one sees an outside cat and attacks the other inside cat. But even a small chance of helping could be worth it, thats your call.
I think it could be his idea of play, but it usually happens whenever he sees the other cat getting attention. When I’m home I am going to try and give him a lot more exercise, and maybe even try taking him on a walk with a harness. I think there could be some jealousy issues with him even though he’s always getting attention and the girl is always hiding in her crate b/c of him. But maybe it’s just that he’s bored. Cats are so confusing! If I do reintroduce them, I will make sure to give him a lot of exercise while they are separated.