Do you think my foster cat is pregnant?

Natalia C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
So, around 40 days ago I rescued a cat from the streets and took her to the vet that same day. He said she was probably around 6 months old, and in good health, didn't say anything about a possible pregnancy. I brought her home and she hasn't left my apartment ever since.
In the last weeks I noticed that her belly was getting bigger and her nipples seemed to be pinking up. I was planning to get her neutered later this month, but now I think she might be pregnant.
I couldn't notice any behavior change because she's not been with me long enough. Also, she is always hungry, but I can't say if that's her normal or not.What do you guys think? This is my first time fostering a cat, I have very little experience with them so I really don't know! Should I take her to vet again to check any other possible conditions?
Thank you so much !
IMG_20211010_145851624.jpg

Attachments

jessteroni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can’t say I’m an expert on pregnant cats like some others here, my only experience is with raising orphan kittens, but her belly does seem to be rather round, even my larger cat doesn’t have a round belly like that.

It does look like she is pregnant, but parasites can also make a belly round. Either way, I’m leaning towards pregnant, definitely schedule a vet appointment. The vet probably wouldn’t have noticed any sign of pregnancy when you first took her, considering the gestation period of cats. Good luck :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely pregnant! Prepare for kittens! 😻

An x-ray at the vet can tell you how many kittens to expect and an approximate gestational age of the babies.

If you are seeing kitten movement she may be within a couple of weeks of giving birth.

Here are helpful links:

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – TheCatSite Articles

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles

What a lucky kitty to have you! Keep us posted!

Natalia C Natalia C

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. The only odd is, you write her nipples become rosy. Usually they become rosy quite exactly around day 21, so they being rosy should be visible earlier...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she was outside before you got her chances are she is pregnant. She looks that way to me. They can get pregnant as young as 4 months and it is hard on them, they are babies themselves. She will have to be really watched at the end of her pregnancy, the very young may have a hard time delivering. You have to decide whether to let her deliver, or get her spayed right now, it can be done. I really didn't want to, but I just had an outdoor stray spayed who was about as far along as yours, she was pregnant for the third time this summer! She was so thin and stressed.......the spaying was a little harder on her than her 6-month-old daughters, she didn't show up to eat for two days, but she is back to normal now and doing fine!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalia C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for your responses!!
We went to the vet today and yes, she is very much pregnant! You guys are really good at this 😂 The kittens will be here anytime soon so I'll just wait and get them (mother and babies) spayed, vaccinated and ready for adoption as soon as possible. I'm kind of terrified to be honest haha, but at the same time I'm glad she's here with me and not out there alone right now so, let's just hope for the best. Thank you all again!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay - all systems are go! Read the article links, buy supplies, and bring on the questions as they arise. We’re here for you!