Do you think my Ellie is part Russian Blue?

Toniann73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted her from a shelter. Do you think she is part Russian blue? Her eyes are gold with a faint green ring.

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a blue domestic shorthair. Majority of cats in the world are domestic, not even breed mixes as they are result of generation after generation of domestics breeding with domestics. Blue is not an uncommon color in the general cat population. She is super cute though!

tashacombs35

My Loves
Kitten
Purraise
She looks identical to my Russian blue... Maybe a little longer hair but color, eyes and pretty much every thing else. Won't let me post pic of her...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also describe Ellie as a blue domestic shorthair. She's gorgeous! Most cats are not any particular breed, but that doesn't make them any less special; domestic shorthairs are wonderful cats :)

tashacombs35 tashacombs35 if your kitty looks just like Ellie, she would be very unusual in appearance for a Russian Blue. Did you get your kitty from a breeder? Russian Blues normally have green eyes, a lighter coat color than Ellie, and an angular appearance to the head and body.

Last edited:

Amysuezq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted this baby. 2 siblings rescued from the dump. Russian blue maybe?
20200306_124716.jpg

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Russian blue adult cats only have green eyes (not yellow, not yellow-green, just emerald green). That's how you know if your cat is a russian blue or domestic short hair. :)

Amysuezq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Russian blue adult cats only have green eyes (not yellow, not yellow-green, just emerald green). That's how you know if your cat is a russian blue or domestic short hair. :)
At what age are they adult? Mine are approximately 7 months?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domestic shorthairs can have green eyes, too. Eye color by itself is not a reliable way to determine breed ancestry.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The eyes are an extremely vivid emerald eyes, but essentially what I meant is if your blue cat has yellow eyes, then for sure not a russian blue. If they do, then you need to look at the other traits to see if they are a match for a russian blue. :)

Cats are adults by the age of one.