Do You Think Cats Know When They Are Going To Die?

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard both yes and no. What do you guys think?

I was just thinking about the last few days before my beloved Rosie passed. I remember the night before I took her to the ER vet she was acting different than usual. She went into every room of the house and onto every bed in our house (she never does that, she usually always only sits/sleeps on my bed or in her favorite corner in my room, so it kinda seemed like she was saying goodbye to everyone in a way) She went into my brothers room and jumped on his bed, she lost her balance and slipped but i caught her and helped her up(she was very weak those last 3 days) My other cat was sitting on my brothers bed and she went up to Rosie and sniffed her then hissed at her. That was odd, I wonder if my other cat also somehow knew by smelling her? (is that possible?)
Also, something else I just remembered, Rosie never really purred but the last two weeks she started purring. I read before that cats don't only purr when they are happy, they can purr when they're sick, in pain, or are dying too. She was sitting hunched up a lot those last 2 weeks and had stopped meowing. & Sometimes she would just sit in her favorite corner and look zoned out. I would be calling her or trying to get her attention and she wouldn't react...
That last night she came and slept so close to me and just stared at me the entire time.
I don't know, these are just a few things I am remembering about those last couple days. I wondered if they were all little signs that maybe she knew she was dying? She just wasn't acting like her normal self.

What are your opinions? Did any of you have a cat who started acting differently before she passed similar to my Rosie?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry for your loss. To answer (or not, really), will we ever really know while we are on this earth?

I will tell you this: after my Gracie was diagnosed with cancer - a few days before she died - she managed to get out of my house. (She had only done that once before but didnt venture more than a few feet from the house. We took her outside often, but never let her go anywhere.)

That day she got out, when I saw her, I watched her for a few minutes - for some reason - before I called to her. She just went up and down driveways of houses surrounding my house. Just strolling the area. I finally got my wits about me and called her to come home, which she did.

That was the last day that she really was able to move much.

I swear she was doing what she always wanted to do and decided she was going to check off her one desired bucket list item.
No one will change my mind about that.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, and I am so sorry for your loss too. I'm happy Gracie got to check off one desired bucket list item.
To answer (or not, really), will we ever really know while we are on this earth?
Yeah, I guess we will never know for sure.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Just reading the title of this thread leaves me in tears. I cannot imagine my life without my Bourbon. I am sure it is going to be very, very dark for me...:(

I believe cats (even dogs) know when they are dying, or when the time is up. Suddenly they will have this certain look in their eyes, their behavior may change, or sometimes I hear of cats going away to die somewhere else.

I wonder what they think if they "know" it is time? I wish we can read their minds...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think every living thing can sense when the end is near. There are actual physical changes in the body, heart and circulation slows down, the body sends out a flood of endorphins which help with pain, everything slows down. I have sat with many dieing humans and it is a blessing really that the body clouds the mind and brings on a unawareness that they need at the time. For those who fight against it, like my Burt, they stiffen, they cry out, they fight to the very end. But above all, no matter what the mind is experiencing, they are aware. The gentle voice of those they love calms and soothes them, a gentle touch helps tremendously.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they know, Serenity went into a corner by herself right before Deb found her in her last moments, Sassy who had become paralyzed and we had to give her therapy and change her diapers and all pulled herself close to us and meowed the sweetest meow out of the blue, that little boost that they and people get before they pass, and Deb said the day that we were going to put Sassy down as she wasn't getting better and didn't want her to suffer Serenity walked up to her, licked her head and let out the most pitiful cry, she knew she was dying. Simba licked Simon's head days before we had to put him down, Sebastian tried to climb up the mini blinds and get out the window, they know.

Now I am so downhearted and sad after replaying this is my mind, but I wanted to give you examples of why I think they know.

Where's my baby boy, I need a "Vester" hug right now!!!

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Now I am so downhearted and sad after replaying this is my mind, but I wanted to give you examples of why I think they know.
Yes, it is quite distressing just to think about this. They do can sense when the time is up. I lost a pet ( a dog) years ago and before he died, he made sure he could say his farewell. I was sleeping when an aunt woke me up, and told me that my boy could not seem to go without him seeing me for the last time. My gentle giant labrador looked up from where he was lying, blinked a couple of times, licked my hand, then was gone. Until now when I think of him I get really so sad. It has been years, but the pain of losing him is still in my heart, and I may carry the grief with me for as long as I live.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so so sorry, I didn't mean to make anyone feel sad. Maybe I shouldn't have made this thread. I was kinda feeling quite down myself tonight, I was crying & replaying those last few weeks and days before my baby passed and I just wondered if somehow maybe she knew she was dying, if she could sense it. There were all these little signs that made it seem that way, but I guess we can't ever really know for sure. It was my first time ever having to go through a pet nearing the end of their life, it's been absolutely devastating losing my sweet Rosie. The words of the ER vet on that very last night are forever in my head "i don't know what you want me to tell you, your kitty is dying and I can't help her. Highly suspect FIP or cancer" :(

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so so sorry, I didn't mean to make anyone feel sad. Maybe I shouldn't have made this thread. I was kinda feeling quite down myself tonight, I was crying & replaying those last few weeks and days before my baby passed and I just wondered if somehow maybe she knew she was dying, if she could sense it. There were all these little signs that made it seem that way, but I guess we can't ever really know for sure. It was my first time ever having to go through a pet nearing the end of their life, it's been absolutely devastating losing my sweet Rosie. The words of the ER vet on that very last night are forever in my head "i don't know what you want me to tell you, your kitty is dying and I can't help her. Highly suspect FIP or cancer" :(
No don't worry about it. We are in this all together. We share similar ups and downs, joys and grief. Even without you posting this, I still remember my boy once in a while, and always, always brings me tears.

Let me have this chance to say that I am so sorry for your loss. It will get a little easier in time. One day at a time.

Hang in there.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
It's quite okay, don't give it a second thought, like Maria said the memories and thoughts are always with us it just comes up once in awhile, BUT the lesson here is that with time, lots of time, the sting of it has lessened, it still hurts and is sad but not like when it was fresh, plus we know that they are just fine now and I do believe that we will be reunited with them one day down the line. :rbheart: :angel:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont know why i keep coming back to this forum. Always get
a lump in my throat.

Yes I think they know.

All my cats have handled it with grace, dignity, courage and acceptance. I can only hope I'm so brave.

If we have 2 cats at the same time, I let the remaining cat smell the one that has passed....so that they know.

One day I will have to "tell" greg or arnold their brother has gone.

And one day it will be me here, asking for support.

But until then i wont even post their picture in this forum.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe that they do. Everything that I have observed over 66 years tells me that they do. Those things also tell me that there is no fear associated with actual dying. And that they know when to begin loosening their hold on life, letting go bit by bit, calmly, almost serenely. They say goodbye to favorite places, and to loved companions, but without fear or regrets. So long as there is no severe pain, they do this as easily and naturally as they lived...in the moment, accepting that each thing that happens simply IS. I will face my own death, I hope, with a bit of the grace that I have learned from cats, with the additional knowledge that I leave one adventure for the Next Great Adventure, and that a good many excellent felines (and a dog or three) are waiting for me there, although it would not surprise me at all if cats know this, too.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Based on all the comments of this thread it amazes me how we bond and bind with our animals, no matter if its a dog or a cat or a horse. Before finding out about TCS I get to cry alone when I remember my pets who have gone. It was as if people look at me like I was a crazy person bawling over a dead animal. The only person in my family who seems to share my deep love of animals is my son. I thought I did not belong in this universe. But all these posts of members losing and mourning for their pets made me realize that I was not, and never will be, alone in my grief.

So thank you to the thread starter joyfulrose joyfulrose . Though it has re-opened old wounds, at least we know we are here to pat each other’s backs. We may never know each other in person, but we, through our cats and other pets, seem to have known each other forever.

When the time is up for any of our cats, not only do our pets feel it, but WE will also “know”. Why? Because there is this invincible string that ties our souls to their being. So when they leave, that string is forcefully pulled from us leaving paw-shaped holes in our hearts. Never to be patched up again.

And we will never be the same.

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
When the time is up for any of our cats, not only do our pets feel it, but WE will also “know”. Why? Because there is this invincible string that ties our souls to their being. So when they leave, that string is forcefully pulled from us leaving paw-shaped holes in our hearts. Never to be patched up again.

And we will never be the same.
I didn't know. I still wrack my brain trying to figure out if there was something I missed. We were so close, so in tune. He had *just* had a check up at the vet, and everything seemed fine. His heart rate was slightly elevated, but they assumed it was just stress being at the vet. The day he passed, 2 days later, I remember his face looking up at me as I rushed to go to work. I don't even remember if I told him I loved him. I hope I did. I usually did, but sometimes it's easy to take these things for granted.

The only thing I can really think of, is that I had just lost my mother and was very much wrapped up in my grief over that. After she passed, he spent about 2 weeks in the spare bedroom that was hers when she visited. He'd come with me to bed and cuddle for a bit like always, but he didn't sleep with me for those few weeks. I ended up spending a lot of time on the couch, and he would lay on the floor next to me, instead of on the couch. Just a few minor changes that at the time, were curious but didn't mean much. He seemed a bit slower, but I'm not sure if any of my memory is accurate. I was depressed and everything seemed slower. I thought he was picking up on me. I ended up loosing Irving just a month after my mom.

I didn't see it coming. In some ways, I'm grateful that I didn't have to watch him decline, but part of me wishes I did know so I could have been there for him. I don't know how or why, or if he knew. I found him behind my portable air conditioner, so I assume he at least felt it coming and tucked himself away. I wonder if he just didn't want me to know.

IMO, I'm not sure if animals know any more than humans. Sometimes they do, and maybe animals more so because they are more in tune with things than we are, but I don't think it's a guarantee. And anything can happen at anytime. Cherish every moment like it's your last, and slow down to tell those you care about that you love them. Even if you tell them every day, you'll regret the one time you don't.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They know. I've lost many beloved animals. Many get more clingy and loving the weeks before like they know it's their last time to cherish with us. Some have isolated towards the end. Usually by the time they actually died, I have such a string bond I can literally read their minds and feel their thoughts from caring from then through years and the last week's and months of sickness.
I don't agree that the bond on the heartstrings is forcefully ripped away when they die. It's still there just stretched to accommodate their new wings as little angels so they can fly free at the rainbow bridge or heaven or whatever each individual believe in.
I've had too many experiences with dreams or random feelings like lost pets were back for little visits (lost people too). And too many bizarre unexplainable things have happened not to make me believe that animsan have souls too and they stay around after death and watch over us however they can to try to comfort and protect and love us forever.
But they know when their time is coming and I think they try to prepare us for it.

coriejo24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe my Lucy knew and as much as I don’t want to believe it, I think I knew. When I rushed her to the vet that morning I had this horrible feeling she wouldn’t come home. Oh, how I wish I was wrong. I found Lucy behind the business I worked at all alone when she was barely even 4 weeks old. She was my rock and best friend for 13 years. She was diagnosed with feline diabetes in Jan 2015 and beat diabetic ketoacidosis. She went into dka again in November of last year and wasn’t getting any better. The most heartbreaking thing I’ve ever done was holding her in my arms as she went to sleep. I love my two dogs, so so much, but Lucy was definitely my soul kitty. When I got her ashes back, they gave me her paw print, so I got it tattooed on my wrist.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if cats know when they are going to die, but I do think some of them will let you know when it is time to let go. My best friend and soul mate of 14 years, Pumpkin, developed mammary cancer and it spread rapidly. I spent many nights awake wondering when or if I should have her put down and end her suffering. I ended up scheduling it with the vet the day before the appointment. I spent the whole night with her, holding her and telling her how much she meant to me. I took a bunch of pictures of her too. When morning came I almost cancelled the appointment. But, she was clearly uncomfortable. So, I took her to the vet and held her in my lap until she was gone. For weeks after, I questioned whether I made the right decision or not, until I uploaded the pictures to my computer. I had not even looked at them when I took them. The last photo of Pumpkin gave me a sense of relief. She was at peace and I think in that moment that I caught with the camera, she was telling me it was time. Maybe it might be a bit too much for some people here to see. (I will try to put it under a spoiler, but it's my first time doing so.) But, I think the picture shows that Pumpkin knew she was ready to go and she was saying good bye. In that one moment, Pumpkin was quiet and calm. I now know I made the right decision and she knew without a doubt that it was her time.

Last edited:

Ivana90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think they do know. The day that my Coco fell asleep for the last time, we had vet appointment in the morning. He was 4th vet that I visited and he gave me the same FIP diagnosis, and recommended to put her to sleep ASAP, because her condition was deteriorating, illnes was so fast. So I took her home and I decided to leave her alone for 2 more days, just to be with me, without vets and needles. But that same afternoon she started meowing so loud and so strange, she never ever did this, it sounded like human baby crying. She just set on my lap, looked at me and starded making that strange noises. I got the impression that she wanted to tell me that she has no more strenght to fight for her life. So we took our nap, and I took her to the vet one last time. She acted very strange, like she knew how I felt and she wanted to make it easier for me. She just curled up and pretended to be asleep. She pretended, I saw that her eyes wer open. When doctor took her out from her carrier, she wouldn't even look at me. She faced the wall, she never did that ( she always wanted me to take her from vets ). She did all of this just to make it easier for me... I love her to the moon and back

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for sharing.. i know how hard it must have been for you. My heart is heavy reading all of your posts. I can relate to so much of what many of you said.
So maybe cats do know, maybe they can sense it. Maybe it's true that they show us all these signs when they are nearing the end. :(

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my case Leo (in the pic on the left profile pic orange colour) with the limp and becoming incontinent and unable to walk at all, didnt know he was going to die that day :( He was sitting there all happy in the morning when i balled my eyes out and petted him and kissed him good bye before i put him in the cage and sent him to the vet with my dad to be put down :( Then three months after MC in the pic on the right with grey fur, she was all fine until one morning i work up to find her drooling at the mouth, then for four days she didnt eat only drank water, walked around easily with no issues, then i took her to the vet on that fourth day to be told she was dying of kidney failure and she was put down, but on the table she looked misserable but i dont think it was kidney failure, but i think she wanted to go. The first pic of her on the table on her last day she didnt moved at all she just layed there, the second pic is a few days before.
IMG_20190330_130406_017.jpg
IMG_20190330_232117_599.jpg