Do You Think A Major Pet Food Industry Overhaul Will Happen Anytime Soon?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny that there are two very different opinions on the very same fact. How can you possibly say that there is not much difference from other pet food companies ?! Out of 100s companies that make pet food can you name another one that gives 100% of their profit to animal causes ? If you can I'd like to know the name, but if you can't you are expressing your opinion, not actual facts.

Here are other facts:

Other pet food companies have been on the news for animal cruelty this one is listed on the peta website for being cruelty free >>> Search for Cruelty-Free Companies, Products, and More | PETA

It is also inaccurate when you write that they are encouraging dry food for cats. Almo Nature was the first company in the world to introduce a wet pet food line in 2000 after that every other company copied them, but Almo uses ingredients fit for human consumption. The dry food line followed afterward.
This thread isn’t talking about donating profits, it’s talking about the quality of food. The ingredients here are not a departure from the norm. They explicitly state on their website that cats should eat 40% dry food...

Canned wet food has been around since before 2000. It’s actually been around longer than dry food.

Their website states the ingredients were “originally” fit for human consumption. It’s a clever play on words. We actually don’t know what the quality of the foods were at the time they were used to make the food. And on what basis are they making this claim? The website makes a lot of claims about the quality of the food but unfortunately without a proper regulating body these claims are essentially meaningless. Anyone can throw around terms like “organic” and it can mean nothing.

Last edited:

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To Azazel,

Wet Cat food has been around before 2000, but they were the first company in the world to mass product wet cat food, take it all over the world and make it available to everyone for less money. That's how an unknown pet food company from an obscure city became a major player in such a competitive industry. Not many food companies have an history along with an experience in making pet food that goes back 20 years.

http://catfooddb.com/brand/almo nature

That's an American website it gives 7 out of 10 stars to almost all the products that they published. Keep in mind that they have many more products.

The claims made can be verified by anyone willing to take the time to do so. They are known for being friendly and inviting media companies, animal activists and third parties to their headquarters and manufacturing plants. I know this because they are located in the city I live. If you speak Italian you can find countless local and national news about this company on paper and on the radio about what they do, how and when.

Just like the claim about donating all their profits to animals can be verified with the Italian IRS since they had to approve it before they wrote it on their website and that's how you know that their claims are not just a marketing play on words.

They make it easy and if you take the time to check the facts, you will find out. Just because you don't take the time to do your research it does not mean that what they claim it not true. It means that you have an opinion.

Some premium brands get their pet food made in Thailand for their strict standards compared to the USA Almo Nature makes all his food in Italy. There are very strict laws when it comes to food not only about what you claim in your ads, but also about what you claim in your ingredients. They can't just make it up because it sounds good. While it might be easy to slap the word "organic" they say much more than that.

A fact that you casually ignore: the company is based in Italy a country known for having a lot of issues when it comes to politics but when it comes to food whatever is lunch or dinner time Italy does not envy any other country on earth. Ask around or go there if you have to. The Italian standards along with the quality and the taste are much better than average when it comes to food. Pet food is an extension of human food. The attitude, the culture and the country is the same and Italians are generally very passionate about all food.

Unlike other companies not once this company recalled a product that made it to the market. They are known for their commitment to biodiversity, high quality sourced ingredients, and products that are grain free.

The other fact about being cruelty free shows once again that Almo sincerely cares about animals in ways that go beyond food production.

Last but not least: all my 4 cats are rescued cats. The one you see in the pic next to my name is a 6 years old female that spent 4 years in shelters and got addicted to dry food only. I tried many times to make her appreciate wet food as well since I was worried that dry food only would cause problems in the long run. It did not matter this cat prefers to get sick before trying wet food. My only option was to buy grain free premium dry food. She drinks a lot to compensate with her dry food only diet and so far so good.
In other words: more than wet food vs dry food what is really important is the quality of the food. Just because 40% dry food is suggested, it does not mean anything in a bad way or in a good way until you take in account the quality of the food.

You think that all of this is not much of a change but...at this moment they are making one of the most significant change in the industry and I wish more pet food companies would do the same.

If in a perfect world all companies in addition to offer quality food donated all their profits to animals and were cruelty free there it would be a major pet food overhaul and the biggest benefit would be for our pets.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, personally I don’t buy the cat food from the company just because the company is nice, but they also have to make appropriate cat food. So as long as Almo Nature adds tapioca starch, gums and menadione, I’m not buying it. Plus they named one of their lines “Daily”, which makes me think it’s for daily feeding, but in fact is not nutritionally complete. So yeah, if they stop adding fillers etc - and also add some pate styles, I’ll be happy to get it for my cats. But not today.

Btw I think Rawz also donates the profits.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
To Azazel,

Wet Cat food has been around before 2000, but they were the first company in the world to mass product wet cat food, take it all over the world and make it available to everyone for less money. That's how an unknown pet food company from an obscure city became a major player in such a competitive industry. Not many food companies have an history along with an experience in making pet food that goes back 20 years.

http://catfooddb.com/brand/almo nature

That's an American website it gives 7 out of 10 stars to almost all the products that they published. Keep in mind that they have many more products.

The claims made can be verified by anyone willing to take the time to do so. They are known for being friendly and inviting media companies, animal activists and third parties to their headquarters and manufacturing plants. I know this because they are located in the city I live. If you speak Italian you can find countless local and national news about this company on paper and on the radio about what they do, how and when.

Just like the claim about donating all their profits to animals can be verified with the Italian IRS since they had to approve it before they wrote it on their website and that's how you know that their claims are not just a marketing play on words.

They make it easy and if you take the time to check the facts, you will find out. Just because you don't take the time to do your research it does not mean that what they claim it not true. It means that you have an opinion.

Some premium brands get their pet food made in Thailand for their strict standards compared to the USA Almo Nature makes all his food in Italy. There are very strict laws when it comes to food not only about what you claim in your ads, but also about what you claim in your ingredients. They can't just make it up because it sounds good. While it might be easy to slap the word "organic" they say much more than that.

A fact that you casually ignore: the company is based in Italy a country known for having a lot of issues when it comes to politics but when it comes to food whatever is lunch or dinner time Italy does not envy any other country on earth. Ask around or go there if you have to. The Italian standards along with the quality and the taste are much better than average when it comes to food. Pet food is an extension of human food. The attitude, the culture and the country is the same and Italians are generally very passionate about all food.

Unlike other companies not once this company recalled a product that made it to the market. They are known for their commitment to biodiversity, high quality sourced ingredients, and products that are grain free.

The other fact about being cruelty free shows once again that Almo sincerely cares about animals in ways that go beyond food production.

Last but not least: all my 4 cats are rescued cats. The one you see in the pic next to my name is a 6 years old female that spent 4 years in shelters and got addicted to dry food only. I tried many times to make her appreciate wet food as well since I was worried that dry food only would cause problems in the long run. It did not matter this cat prefers to get sick before trying wet food. My only option was to buy grain free premium dry food. She drinks a lot to compensate with her dry food only diet and so far so good.
In other words: more than wet food vs dry food what is really important is the quality of the food. Just because 40% dry food is suggested, it does not mean anything in a bad way or in a good way until you take in account the quality of the food.

You think that all of this is not much of a change but...at this moment they are making one of the most significant change in the industry and I wish more pet food companies would do the same.

If in a perfect world all companies in addition to offer quality food donated all their profits to animals and were cruelty free there it would be a major pet food overhaul and the biggest benefit would be for our pets.
I really don't get how any of this shows that the quality of this food is any better than what's already on the market, but you seem really passionate about it so kudos to you for finding a food that you're happy about.

P.S. Do you work for Almo? :)

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like most Italians I am passionate when it comes to food. Thanks for the compliment.

Almo is not a perfect brand but it offers a good deal when it comes to price/quality. Never said that their food is the best, just that is better than average. Their core values are a plus and make me feel better about buying some of their products.

I do not work for them but I buy some of their wet food products. For dry food I do not buy Almo but I buy Farmina their food is more expensive but that is as premium quality as one can get. Farmina specializes in dry food and only recently they started offering wet food.

The more mass production and cheaper price you have for a certain food the less quality you get. The more limited and specific the production is the better quality and more expensive price...at least generally speaking.

You can go to Mc Donalds but you can also go to In N Out they both offer fast food but there is a difference...you can taste they claim.

I hope that by paying more to get premium cat food now I might save myself and the dry food addicted cat more expensive and unhappy trips to the vet in the future.

The fact that they donate 100% of their profit it is something that in my opinion should not go unnoticed, again I wish there were more companies like that. If that is not a good and positive change I am not sure what it would be along with a better than average food quality.

Overall I love animals I'd like and hope to make educated choices when it comes to pet food that's why I read about this subject and that's why I joined this website, there is always something to learn.