Do you still have these in your house?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All except a file cabinet and take out menus. I still buy a wall calendar every year. I know they are becoming obsolete but I have one in the kitchen usually with some type of animal pictures. The one that I have now has kitten pictures.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have DVDs and then I also have CDs that are not mine that the previous owner left behind in a cabinet. I have wall calendars only because I use them for crafts, so they are actually outdated ones. I've never had a filing cabinet and I don't have takeout menus.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have a take-out menu; some restaurants send them in the mail and I'm slow about getting rid of junk mail.

Other than that, I have all of them.

Why on earth would I want to get rid of old CDs and DVDs?! I paid good money for them!

I also have old VHS tapes that I haven't yet converted to digital format, and old audio cassette tapes that I haven't figured out how to convert to digital format (I think I need to buy some special equipment but haven't properly researched it yet).

And I still have a rotary phone, as well as a touch-tone landline phone, and two smart phones. I may replace the rotary phone with a touch tone at some point but I'll never get rid of the landline. We got it when we bought our house in 1988, which makes us "loyal customers." And loyal Century Link customers can get Wifi for $20 a month. It isn't fast, but it's surprisingly reliable.

And I love my wall calendars. I get a new Kitten calendar every year.

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only DVD player I have is an old laptop with a DVD drive. I hope it doesn't break!
I've just been repairing my old Win 7 laptop. One thing it needed was a replacement optical RW drive, i.e. a drive that can read and write to both DVDs and CDs. I researched external drives that attach via USB port and found none that met my rather exacting specs, so I mail-ordered an internal drive from a place called PC Liquidations. I got a used, refurbished drive for a good price. I also spent the extra for an extended warranty.

Installation was trivial; remove one screw, remove the old drive, plug in the new drive, replace the screw. (I found a YouTube how-to video, specific to my computer.)

When I tested the drive it played DVDs just fine, but choked on CDs. It correctly recognized them as CDs, but reported they were empty. PC Liquidations has already shipped a replacement, which hasn't arrived yet. They didn't ask me to return the faulty drive.

Margret

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family's VHS and DVD players broke
We actually have 4 DVD players and 2 VCRs. I know how hard it is to find them so I won't get rid of them. At some point they will break one by one...but I'm sure I'll be able to keep watching my movies for a while yet.
Both my husband and I had one of each and when we moved in together my Mom gave us her entertainment center/unit, so another DVD player (my Step-dad got an upgrade ;) ) and my father-in-law gave us a bunch of stuff that was in storage to help get us going...including a DVD player.......you know, as I keep thinking.....I may have a 3rd VCR...:think:

I just thought of something else...I also still have a tube (actually 2) TVs. I can't get rid of them either because if we ever want to play "Duck Hunt" on our original Nintendo, the gun only works on old tube TVs.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have all but the take out menu. We also have VHS tapes and a VCR, plus cassette tapes and player, and record albums and turntable. The wall calendar we get each year from the American Legion.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, I think I would have some takeout menus around if I lived within takeout distance of any restaurants! :tongue: :sigh:

My family's VHS and DVD players broke, and do you know how hard it is to find new ones (well, DVD players are easy to find, but they had a streaming box by then and didn't bother)? So even if they didn't want to, they would have had to. The only DVD player I have is an old laptop with a DVD drive. I hope it doesn't break!
DVD players always show up at the thrift store. Occasionally a VCR.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I not only have a micro cassette recorder that I used when I started out as a reporter after college, but I have a reel-to-reel tape recorder that I got for Christmas as a ten-year-old. I used that to record my great aunt who immigrated from Ukraine (her brother, who was my grandfather, also immigrated in 1905 to flee Czar Nicholas II’s reign of terror).

I grew up with rotary dial phones and tube tv’s. Still have one of our family’s rotary dial phones in storage.

Bins of VHS tapes as my daughter grew up on them —- Barney, Scooby Doo, Disney everything! Still have my VHS player and it works and is still plugged into the tv. Must be able to watch my double VHS sets of “Titanic” and “Gone with the Wind” still.

Lots of CD’s AND old cassette tapes too — and — wait for it — tons of vinyl records, some going back to my childhood such as live Broadway recordings of “The Sound of Music” and “Oklahoma.” Also a “Mary Poppins” vinyl with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke singing. Has a picture book with it.

Wall calendar and takeout menus - yes! Just no filing cabinet anymore, but desperately need one.

I know it sounds like I live in a museum, but it’s not that bad. I do appreciate the nostalgia though. 😊

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would love to show my kids a rotary phone! They’ve seen one on tv only. :lol: My grandparents had given them all up. I’m not sure Gram even has a corded phone anymore.

We all like calendars here. My kids get one around Christmas every year and they really like picking one out. DD has a Pusheen one and DS has a kitten one. I have a Peanuts one in the kitchen and a Disney and a Church one in my dressing room. One is small that I got because I didn’t think the other was coming but it turned up.

We still watch DVDs. I’m not buying digital versions of stuff i have on dvd. Plus we take a portable dvd player on car trips for the kids. I do have a vhs player and some movies. My wedding video (not a professional video; taken by my cousin in law on SIL’s camcorder) is vhs. I need to getv that converted somehow.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have all of them even though I rely more on the Calender on my phone and I do order food online and use the online menu if I don't have a physical one or of I found out the restaurant's menus were updated online. 🙂

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 384171

I still have all of them. :dunno:
1.DVD's - Yes, lots of them, and Blu-Ray discs too.
2.CD's - Yes, about 300
3.File Cabinet - No, never had
4.Wall Calendar - Yes, a few of them
5.Take Out Menus - I receive them in my mailbox often, I bin them right away

I also have dozens of vinyl records (45 and 33 rpm), audio cassettes and VHS tapes (and their players).
I also have a CRT TV, though I hadn't used it in the last few years.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have all those things (except the take out menus) and I use them regularly. I don't like streaming movies, TV or music. I have two wall calendars in the kitchen (guess what the theme is?). One I use for my work schedule and appointments. It's so much easier to just look over my shoulder and see the whole month at a glance than to find some device and poke at it. The other calendar I use to keep track of kitty's food so I'm sure I'm not giving her too much seafood and to note what she likes and doesn't like. My file cabinet is full. I also have a turntable.

I don't like or trust technology.