Do You Shop For School?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is getting to be school shopping time of year, and although I haven’t been a student or had a student in the house for many many years, I still find myself shopping - for socks and underwear, and office supplies.

So, do you “school shop” and if so what for?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have college classes, so I shop every so often. I'm starting a new class on Monday, so yesterday I bought a new notebook, pens, and highlighters.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad those days are behind me! We shopped for our son every year. When he went off to college, we shopped and shopped and then shopped some more. He always needed something. Combine that with my classes and it was busy (and expensive) some semesters.

We don't shop at back-to-school times, unless we need office supplies and such.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always loved office/school supplies. I don't know why. So while I don't shop for them (I have plenty at home already), I do get excited when I see a really cool pencil case or note book or pretty pencils/pens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always loved office/school supplies. I don't know why. So while I don't shop for them (I have plenty at home already), I do get excited when I see a really cool pencil case or note book or pretty pencils/pens.
I am the same way Jem. Don’t need them but I love to wander through the school supply aisle and look at everything.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
School supplies. :cloud9:I love school supplies. So much that I probably didn’t need to buy us any this year but I so did! I did get less composition books and binders than usual. ;) I avoided my favorite pens and pencils too because I know I have a surplus. I browse for fun and end up “needing” something.

My kids are well stocked too. They have such CUTE stuff for girls! DD picked everything in mermaid with a few unicorns to go along with it. She says mermaids are her theme this year. One benefit of homeschooling has been getting to choose all our supplies and let the kids have some fun stuff. :agree:

I can’t resist new boxes of Crayola crayons. They are the best and others don’t compare. :smash: Markers too.

I do get some things like socks and underwear for my kiddos this time of year partially because it spreads out what I will end up spending on fall/winter stuff come September.

My love of school supplies comes from my stepdad. He likes to take the kids shopping too. So yeah we have surpluses. :paperbag:

I also shop for a few community projects and missions events that come at different times of the year; but prices are best now. We put together a few shoeboxes with school supplies, toiletry containers and small toys at Christmas that I shop for now too.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm like that. When I was a kid, my parents would go to a local discount department store on Saturdays. My first stop was the statonery department, where I'd blow my meager allowance. I recently found an ancestor in an 1800's census. Guess what is occupation was? Yes!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't gone school shopping in about 3 years, when I first started college. Reason being, I'm older now so I take way better care of my things than I did in middle school and high school. Therefore, they last a lot longer. I only buy things once in a while. For example, when a marker dries up, when I need something specific, or when I run out of paper.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like school shopping for some reason. Of course I don't have kids, but my mom likes to buy for my niece and nephew and maybe some friends' kids/grandkids. So I usually tag along. It seems like they need less now. They do most stuff on their tablet or a computer.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't usually go school shopping, but I did a little this year because I've gotten into coloring books again, so I bought some markers for that. I could probably look into getting some notebooks though since I start grad school in September. I have a lot of notebooks though, so I probably don't need them.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had to school shop in almost 50 years now, but I still visit the office supply stores from time to time, like when I am going to build something and want to make scale drawings, I need drafting paper or graph paper and hard lead pencils to properly sketch out my ideas.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
No kids here so I don't do school shopping, but my husband is working mostly from home now so I did have to go out and stock up on some supplies for him.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Having worked as a teacher we always needed to fill in with school supplies for our classroom so they would last throughout the year. Plus I shopped with my own children when they were younger. They looked forward to new binders, pencil cases, locker decorations, etc.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I don't school shop for myself, don't need the items. But I always like to walk down the school supply aisle more for nostalgic feelings. It was always my favorite thing to do, pick out the pencils, the notebooks, the trapper keeper with Lisa Frank designs on them (even though they don't have those anymore, at least I haven't seen).

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go shopping for fall clothing and accessories, and maybe some dance supplies for myself (being a dance teacher and all). But that is pretty much it, long since graduated from school and Uni and have no human offspring running about.

So glad actual school shopping is behind me too :lol: can just carry on with my day without it hovering over me. Although I still feel bad for the kids when it is barely August and all the school things are already out!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't do any school shopping. DD's out of school. I tried to enroll the girls but they said that it was beneath them. They are smart enough already. Of course, I agreed with them.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I go school shopping for the grandkids now! I buy jeans for the boys to start the school year with, since they go through them like crazy. :lol:

giphy.gif