Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Do You Shop For School?

Discussion in 'The Cat Lounge' started by susanm9006, Aug 10, 2019.

1. susanm9006

susanm9006 Thread Starter Willow Top Cat

Feb 20, 2011
    It is getting to be school shopping time of year, and although I haven’t been a student or had a student in the house for many many years, I still find myself shopping - for socks and underwear, and office supplies.

So, do you “school shop” and if so what for?

margecat and Mia6 purraised this.

2. Katie M

Katie M TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    I have college classes, so I shop every so often. I'm starting a new class on Monday, so yesterday I bought a new notebook, pens, and highlighters.

Mia6 and susanm9006 purraised this.

3. Winchester

Winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    I am so glad those days are behind me! We shopped for our son every year. When he went off to college, we shopped and shopped and then shopped some more. He always needed something. Combine that with my classes and it was busy (and expensive) some semesters.

We don't shop at back-to-school times, unless we need office supplies and such.

susanm9006 purraised this.

4. Jem

Jem TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 6, 2018
    I have always loved office/school supplies. I don't know why. So while I don't shop for them (I have plenty at home already), I do get excited when I see a really cool pencil case or note book or pretty pencils/pens.

susanm9006, margecat and Mia6 purraised this.

5. Mia6

Mia6 Mother of two Top Cat

Jan 22, 2017
    Ohio, USA
    I buy notebooks and pens even though I'm not a student. I make a lot of lists.

susanm9006 and Jem purraised this.

6. susanm9006

susanm9006 Thread Starter Willow Top Cat

Feb 20, 2011
    I am the same way Jem. Don’t need them but I love to wander through the school supply aisle and look at everything.

Jem purraised this.

7. Jem

Jem TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 6, 2018
    Me too! I'm always making lists.

8. MoochNNoodles

MoochNNoodles TCS Member Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    Where my cats are
    School supplies. :cloud9:I love school supplies. So much that I probably didn’t need to buy us any this year but I so did! I did get less composition books and binders than usual. ;) I avoided my favorite pens and pencils too because I know I have a surplus. I browse for fun and end up “needing” something.

My kids are well stocked too. They have such CUTE stuff for girls! DD picked everything in mermaid with a few unicorns to go along with it. She says mermaids are her theme this year. One benefit of homeschooling has been getting to choose all our supplies and let the kids have some fun stuff. :agree:

I can’t resist new boxes of Crayola crayons. They are the best and others don’t compare. :smash: Markers too.

I do get some things like socks and underwear for my kiddos this time of year partially because it spreads out what I will end up spending on fall/winter stuff come September.

My love of school supplies comes from my stepdad. He likes to take the kids shopping too. So yeah we have surpluses. :paperbag:

I also shop for a few community projects and missions events that come at different times of the year; but prices are best now. We put together a few shoeboxes with school supplies, toiletry containers and small toys at Christmas that I shop for now too.

margecat and susanm9006 purraised this.

9. margecat

margecat Mentor Staff Member Mentor

Oct 11, 2006
    I'm like that. When I was a kid, my parents would go to a local discount department store on Saturdays. My first stop was the statonery department, where I'd blow my meager allowance. I recently found an ancestor in an 1800's census. Guess what is occupation was? Yes!

10. Graceful-Lily

Graceful-Lily *Alien* Top Cat

May 30, 2016
    Orbiting the Earth. . .
    I haven't gone school shopping in about 3 years, when I first started college. Reason being, I'm older now so I take way better care of my things than I did in middle school and high school. Therefore, they last a lot longer. I only buy things once in a while. For example, when a marker dries up, when I need something specific, or when I run out of paper.

11. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I like school shopping for some reason. Of course I don't have kids, but my mom likes to buy for my niece and nephew and maybe some friends' kids/grandkids. So I usually tag along. It seems like they need less now. They do most stuff on their tablet or a computer.

12. MonaLyssa33

MonaLyssa33 TCS Member Super Cat

Mar 10, 2018
    Minneapolis
    I don't usually go school shopping, but I did a little this year because I've gotten into coloring books again, so I bought some markers for that. I could probably look into getting some notebooks though since I start grad school in September. I have a lot of notebooks though, so I probably don't need them.

13. NY cat man

NY cat man TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 6, 2018
    I haven't had to school shop in almost 50 years now, but I still visit the office supply stores from time to time, like when I am going to build something and want to make scale drawings, I need drafting paper or graph paper and hard lead pencils to properly sketch out my ideas.

14. AbbysMom

AbbysMom At Abby's beck and call Staff Member Moderator

May 18, 2005
    Massachusetts
    No kids here so I don't do school shopping, but my husband is working mostly from home now so I did have to go out and stock up on some supplies for him.

15. neely

neely May the purr be with you Staff Member Forum Helper

Dec 22, 2005
    Having worked as a teacher we always needed to fill in with school supplies for our classroom so they would last throughout the year. Plus I shopped with my own children when they were younger. They looked forward to new binders, pencil cases, locker decorations, etc.

16. Draco

Draco NOT Malfoy! Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    LawnGuyLand, NY
    I don't school shop for myself, don't need the items. But I always like to walk down the school supply aisle more for nostalgic feelings. It was always my favorite thing to do, pick out the pencils, the notebooks, the trapper keeper with Lisa Frank designs on them (even though they don't have those anymore, at least I haven't seen).

17. cassiopea

cassiopea TCS Member Top Cat

May 30, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I go shopping for fall clothing and accessories, and maybe some dance supplies for myself (being a dance teacher and all). But that is pretty much it, long since graduated from school and Uni and have no human offspring running about.

So glad actual school shopping is behind me too :lol: can just carry on with my day without it hovering over me. Although I still feel bad for the kids when it is barely August and all the school things are already out!

18. Kat0121

Kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    I don't do any school shopping. DD's out of school. I tried to enroll the girls but they said that it was beneath them. They are smart enough already. Of course, I agreed with them.

19. betsygee

betsygee Don't believe everything you think. Staff Member Moderator

Mar 17, 2013
    Monterey, CA, USA
    I go school shopping for the grandkids now! I buy jeans for the boys to start the school year with, since they go through them like crazy. :lol:

giphy.gif

20. ashekitty

ashekitty TCS Member Adult Cat

Jan 18, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    I always invest in some nicer pens before the school year starts. It makes taking notes a lot more pleasant.

Graceful-Lily purraised this.