Do You Say Hi And Bye To Your Cat?

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As a regular thing?

When i leave i'd say i say bye 95% of the time-if ive realized im late and I'm in a hurry I might not. I give her a scritch behind the ears and say "ok i'll be back, be a good kitty", sometimes i'll say "don't take any wooden cat treats".

But i always say hi to her when i come back, becauae usually i get some kind of meow greeting, and the longer I'm gone the louder the meow, and i honestly feel like a jerk if she walks up to me or sits up on the couch and meows hello and i just walk by. Like... how rude? I always say "hey Honeybunny, hows my kitty".

And if i step on her tail or bump into her or whatever, i always reach down and pet her and say "im sorry booboo, mommy didnt mean it. I actually read an article a while ago written by a cat researcher/scientist, ect, who said cats understand when ypu do that. They obvioysly dont understand like we do, but if you step on your cats tail and they squeal and you bend down and say "im sorry kitty it was an accident" and pet them, they get that you meant them no harm. Is it true? Who knows, but i operate as if it is.

Do you communicate with your kitty?

20190707_195424.jpg

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sure. The last thing I do before I leave the house is check on them and say goodbye. The first thing I do when I get home is find them and say hello. I ask them if they had a good day and tell them that I missed them. Then lots of pets & snuggles.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, most of the time. Fresca loves to try and run out the door so she's usually there when I'm leaving to go somewhere, and a lot of the time she meets me at the door when I get back. Patch will sometimes, but I usually have to find Callie to say hi when I get back.

EmeraldX

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I usually don't have time, especially when I'm in a hurry, sadly.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to say bye, but Mingo learned quickly what this meant and made a dash for the open door. Then it became a hassle to get out without letting him outside, so I had to stop. I do say hello to both of them when I come home.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Always! First I find all three to make sure I haven’t accidentally closed someone in a closet.* Then it’s, “Okay, girls. Be good. I’ll be back soon.” When I walk back in the door, it’s “Kitties! I’m home!” But unless it’s close to dinner time, no one pays any attention. :) I do go around the house to find them to make sure everything is okay and to give them some attention.

Max was always waiting by the door when I got home no matter what time it was—until about the last year or so of his life when he was almost totally deaf and couldn’t hear the garage door any more.

* Many years ago I had a little cat named Brandy who always met me at the door. I came home from work at the end of the day and she wasn’t there. I searched all over the house and found her shut up in my closet. She had spent more than eight hours in there. I was amazed that she hadn’t made a mess. But she had rubbed off all of the fur on her nose trying to push her way out. :( I felt terrible. So I never leave the house without locating all three cats.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
The minute I walk in the door from work or from outside I'd say, "Hello babies! I missed you!"

In the morning before I leave I'd say, "Be good kids! Bye my loves. See you later."

And I often wonder as I hop in the car what would happen just in case I never make it back home. Makes me so sad. Anyway, it's just a thought.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
If Felix is near by (on the main floor of the house), everyone in my house says 'Bye!' to him before work and 'Hello!' when they get back. My mom does this, I do this, my dad too. But if he's not on the main floor, they always yell it out.

If my sister comes over, Felix comes out and greets her so she greets him too. At this point, Felix is pretty much just another person in the house. Everyone who comes over always says something to him and he usually responds.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always say my goodbyes and hellos to my kitties. How or what I say may change but they always get some sort of acknowledgment. Coming home after work is always sweet as they all come and greet me when I get home. One of my cats has even adopted the habit of sitting right at my feet as I take my shoes off so he can swat at the laces as I undo them.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
When I leave they have just been fed so if they hung around I’ll say goodbye. They usually greet me at the door too, so I’ll say hi.

When Gohan and Trin would get into scuffles, or if they were being mean to Olive I’d say “Gentlemen kitties, are you acting. Like gentleman?” Now that it’s just Gohan and Olive I have to say “Gentleman and lady kitties”. Usually Olive is not acting like a lady AT ALL.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always say bye to both my girls, and tell them to behave. I have to be in an extreme rush to be somewhere at a specific time to leave without checking on them. I'll usually text someone at home to check on them if i dont find them. :lol2:

I have seen them get stuck in the pantry or inside rooms, so I always make sure to check on them.

They always meet me at the door in the afternoon. I'll ask them if they behaved and say hi. lol

-

I once had the experience that a family member locked my cat in their bedroom, and she peed on their bed. :oops: She used to love sneaking into rooms. My poor kitty, she came crying to me, as if telling me she did something bad.

it took so long to get the pee out of the bed, and even worse, she peed on the bed of someone that hates cats. :eek: Thank god he never found out! It sounds bad, but my brother despises my cats, so my mom and I kept it a secret all these years. Which is saying something, because my mom could not keep a secret. :sweat: But she never told anyone, she took the secret with her, when she passed. :angel:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had my two lovely cats, saying "Hi, good morning" to both of them was the first thing in the morning, always, every day.

I would say "Bye, see you later/this afternoon/tonight" when I had to leave. Always. Every day.
And I would say "Hi, how are you doing" every time I was back.

And I would always say "Good night" every night.

I can't remember of a single time I haven't greeted them on my way out/in or morning/night.
Even if I was in a hurry, I would always find the time for greeting, a scratch or cuddle, and a kiss.

Of course they would always reply with a "meow", and that was the greatest reward for those moments.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes we surely do, every day!!! When we leave we say "be good kitties now!!!" and I also make sure to say "we'll be back" so that they get used to that phrase so they understand it means we will be back home!

In fact, we are going to go away for a few days in late August, we haven't done this in years, my parents are going to come over and tend to them but we will leave on a Thursday and not return until Sunday night, and I am a bit concerned how they will respond to this, for some of them we have never been apart, especially my baby boy Sylvester, so I hope that they will understand fully that that "we'll be back" will mean in a few days! :confused2:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so I hope that they will understand fully that that "we'll be back" will mean in a few days! :confused2:
I was told that cats (and pets in general) do not have the sense of time.
A day or a week might feel like the same to them.
So I think that they will understand :)

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Of course! When I just had Amelia, back in my old place, she'd always hear me coming home and by the time I started up the steps to my apartment she'd be meowing for me. I never figured out if she'd just meow like that any time someone came in and I wasn't already with her, or if she could actually tell if it was me.

Now, in the new apartment, she's not always waiting by the door, but I also just added another cat, so that's messed up her routine. Still, I suspect it'll only be a matter of time before I'm back to having a (very vocal) welcoming crew.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I leave Sweetie is usually somewhere near the door, so I say "be a good boy I'll be back soon". When I come back Sweetie is always so happy to see me so I pet him and tell him what a good kitty he is.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, I always talk to my cats, coming or going... I even tell 'em where I'm headed, like this:

"I'm off to the library, y'all be good!!!" :wave3:

Or:

"I'm just going to the store, be back in a bit!!!" :salam:

And on return:

"Awww, look at you magnificent little tigers!!!" :rock:

I don't care who hears me, I've been talking to my cats for YEARS... and they're better listeners than most humans, LOL. :petcat: