Do you prefer company or alone time?

In general, do you prefer to be around other people or another person or to be alone?

• With other people.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Alone completely. Not another living being even close to me.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Alone with my cats.

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Either one is fine with me.

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm curious about this:

In general, do you prefer to be around other people or another person or to be alone?

I don't mean forever or anything like that! ;) Just on your down time; when you're off work, winding down, relaxing. :)

I've always been a homebody (part of being a watery Cancer sign). Even in my younger party/bar-hopping days I enjoyed being at home, alone. I didn't even have cats then! :lol3:

Now that I'm married and I'm almost never alone, I find that I really miss it. Even though we may be in separate rooms I'm not alone. Maybe I get it from when I grew up. My father was on the road with his job most times so he wasn't at home a lot during the week. :dk:

How about it? Alone or with company?

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Other than Dana and the kitties, I am completely content on my own. Truthfully I don't like most other people. I don't have a lot in common with a lot of people and I find many of them fake.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Since I'm surrounded by so many people at school and during my commutes, I really treasure my alone time, though DH being around doesn't bother me much.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm totally a recluse. I love my friends, and I love being with them - I don't purposely shun people - but I live in NYC, for Pete's sake. You step out your door and you're surrounded by people! :lol3: So, I crave being alone. I even feel alone when I'm running, because if I choose the right time, Central Park and Riverside Park have quiet possibilities. And I know the quiet parts of the parks as well.

But I just love coming back to my apartment to spend an evening alone with my kitty-cat. That and weekends. Love me my weekends on my own. :D

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I HAVE to have alone time.  I've always been this way.  When I was a kid if a friend spent the night 2 nights in a row or stayed too long the next day we would get into a fight.  I knew DH was the one when I could (and still can) be around him all the time without loosing my mind.  He gives me my space when I need it though.  But most of the time I love to be with him.  After he and DD go to bed I get "my" time.  I can't just go to bed when they do; no matter how tired I am.  I need alone time to unwind.  Mooch and Noodles can be with me; but sometimes Mooch is too overbearing.  She has to sit on top of me.  Most of the time it's fine.  It's when she's kneading and purring like crazy and trying to get in my face that I get all irritated.  Noodles is much less "in your face" when she wants loving. 

ols4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alone but hubby at home at night.I'm a homebody too...I have no other choose as to be able to run around anymore because of disability but really I have been a homebody 4-ever....nerves don't help either...lol.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am usually alone, not always by choice. I don't have many friends (As they've all married and moved off). It's hard for me to meet new people, so I am generally alone, unless I go out to visit my parents.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Virtually alone time?  I'm chatting, texting, emailing, teamspeak, etc but when I want to relax I don't want people over.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a difficult question for me to answer. And, as such, I didn't choose a response on the poll.

I am an individual who needs to be around others. I crave human companionship -- mostly in the form of conversation. And, if I am alone for any true length of time (I'm not talking hours or a couple of days here; I mean weeks, months, or years) I will find myself spiraling down into depression. Talking is one of the most effective ways I have to work through issues. If I were alone all the time, I would be left to my own thinking and to my own devices. And, that is not a healthy place for me to be. However, conversely, I'm not someone who is necessarily comfortable around others all of the time. I have a difficult time trusting people and struggle to find common ground with many of those who surround me. To not have any alone time would be just as detrimental to me as being completely isolated for long periods of time.

So, I suppose the true answer is that I lie somewhere in between. While I need human companionship, I also need time to be on my own -- be it completely alone or with my animals. Both too much time alone and too much time spent with others would be unwelcome and uncomfortable for me. A compromise between time for myself and time with others needs to be in place or else I become depressed, distressed, and agitated. As long as I remember that, I can handle down time and "on" time with much more ease and acceptance.

So, that's me in a nutshell. I'm a homebody who needs her alone time, but who also needs to have someone available to talk to and hang out with as needed. Ain't that a study in contradiction 

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't choose one option, as my preference changes depending on my mood and the day. I love my alone time, when I'm home from work at 5pm and the BF doesn't get home until 9pm. I find I can just get so much done during those times, and it's just nice to have no distractions. But then there are other times where I just like to go out and be around all my friends. When I lived in Korea I lived by myself, so I got a lot of alone time, but after I got bored of that I'd go out for dinner with friends almost every night just for some human interaction and conversation. So for me, I like both! 

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to vote in the poll. So I just did, but voted "alone completely", when I meant to vote "alone with my cat(s)". So the one, lonely vote for "alone completely" is me.... :lol3: But really, I love being with Larry. :rub:

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I spend time with friends and family but when I am alone with  Dexter and Isis, my life feels right. 

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a very "me" oriented person when it comes to spending time. I'd much rather spend time alone doing "me" things than to be with other people doing "us" things. I've always been a solitary person, even as a kid I prefered to play alone than with other kids. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy being around people, sometimes, but the vast majority of my time is spent in my own company.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than Dana and the kitties, I am completely content on my own. Truthfully I don't like most other people. I don't have a lot in common with a lot of people and I find many of them fake.
This for me too. I like being around DH, but I would rather spend time with just him than a lot of other people.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While I can be a social butterfly, I only enjoy the company of select people.

I prefer to be at home, just me & da kitties (and Izzy of course! )

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alone for sure. I'm in college, which is supposed to be the most social time of your life, and yet, I live alone with my cats. By choice. :D

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love my alone time. Since DH works from home, I am rarely, if ever, at the house by myself and sometimes, it makes me a little nutty. I love DH like crazy and enjoy being around him, however, there are those times when I need complete solitude and that is hard to come by with 2 dogs and 5 cats. Every once in a while I hide in the bathroom and take a long bath....and just ignore the kitty paws sliding under the door. 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I travel and end up alone in my hotel room, I think I'm in heaven. 
 Back home, it's just useless to hang a "do not disturb" sign on my bedroom door. 
 I like being alone. 

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amen Kailie.

I'm alone all day with the 'kids' and I love it. My friendships are all online and even online I have alone time cuz noone is in my space. I have major trust issues with people and even.right now major huge problem with the step witch that has caused me to with draw further into my world. I think for me the bond I have with you all here has never been matched in real life and aside from my mom and df the only person I know I could trust 100% no doubt at all....is someone I met in real life on here. If I can't trust another cat lady....then something is wrong with the world ;)

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to be alone most of the time. I feel so much more comfortable and relaxed alone. But there are times when I crave human contact with a friend. I have discovered over the years that I don't need a lot of friends because most of them are not really that great of friends. I find that all I really need is one good friend who I can tell anything to, and enjoy spending time with. I have trust issues that keep me from trusting anyone too quickly because I have had a few friendships fall apart and have had "friends" turn on me, and walk all over me. High school and the first few years off college were really rough emotionally.

I also like to do stuff like shop alone, I may be surrounded by people but I don't know them and I have my alone time that way. If I am upset the most calming thing for me is to get out of the house and go grocery shopping, the fact that I have to think about what I need and what I can make with stuff and keeping it all under a budget takes my mind away and calms me. I know I'm weird.